Sponsored

What You Learn After Signing... mud flaps and power running board recommendations?

OP
OP
boshog

boshog

Outer Banks
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
One rainy week of going up & down our driveway without mud flaps versus going on 3+ months of no car wash with mud flaps. Makes a huge difference. I went with the RokBlokz XL mud flaps and the Turn Offroad Step-Slider. The step slider won't solve the step height issue you're having, but they help make a difference in keeping mud/rocks off the doors.

IMG_8603.jpeg
IMG_1132.jpeg
That is perfect, that is what I want to eliminate, the mud getting thrown up around the door handles. Thank you.

Check out Broflaps on Etsy....and calm down Bob...you're picking internet fights and it doesn't seem like you're prepared for it. Best bet is to simply ignore what you don't like.
You are right, ignore the negativity.

I've gotten several good recommendations which I am grateful for (like above). Now I'm in the process of seeing which option I want to go with. I'm going to add the mud flaps first and wait on my wife's input to see where she wants to go regarding the running boards.

I have the factory fold-down type boards on my pick up and they are at the perfect height when deployed for entry and exit. I'm going to take some measurements and see how the Bronco sits compared to my pick-up. Thanks for your recommendation.
Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I had the Gatorback mud flaps on my Bronco, and they are the best (in my opinion) mud flaps out there. They aren't cheap, but they are heavy duty and do a great job keeping the mud down. The bottom also slides off so you can re-gain some ground clearance while off-roading.

Here's a picture of them on my Bronco, not long after I picked it up:

IMG_8911.jpeg

I have since removed them, simply because I prefer the look and functionality without them. However, I was also concerned about rocks and mud being thrown up the side of my Bronco too. I opted to add rock sliders, which have helped keep the rooster tail down a bit, and also work well as a step... And obviously serves its original purpose of protecting the vehicle from rocks and such.

I recently added a strip of paint protection film on the lower rocker panels, which seems to be doing a good job. If you're concerned, I could do the entire side of the Bronco (or the entire vehicle, if you so choose). I went with a ceramic coating for the rest, so the only PPF I have is on the rocker panels.

This is my Bronco (taken this morning), with the sliders and you can't even see the PPF:

IMG_4554.jpeg

Edit: Better picture of the sliders, so you can see how far they stick out and their angle:

IMG_1681.jpeg

Hope that helps!
Great looking Bronco and please don't take offense but had to chuckle reading about the mudflaps and then seeing the big mud splash decal along the side.

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Check out Broflaps on Etsy....and calm down Bob...you're picking internet fights and it doesn't seem like you're prepared for it. Best bet is to simply ignore what you don't like.
x2 on the Bro Flaps.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great looking Bronco and please don't take offense but had to chuckle reading about the mudflaps and then seeing the big mud splash decal along the side.
I'm super offended!!!

Just kidding - There is definitely some irony to that, haha. I like the look of the mud, without the maintenance of having to wash it off I suppose :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

Jsullivan

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
70388277841__E657C8A5-2877-47B5-8DDC-59E329CF39A0.jpeg

Same set up. Works well!
I have the same set up with Ford mud flaps front and rear.
Go Rhino running boards still catch some snow and mud but it helped a bunch.
I have not had any issues with slipping on the running boards getting in or out.

OuterJersey

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota,VW, Lexus, Triumph, Honda MC
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

C1 Ret

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well, it has been about three weeks since my wife took delivery of her 2024 Bronco Outer Banks. We live deep in the rural, well-off paved roads. The mud roads we drive versus the design of the Bronco isn't working well for us. I hope I'll come across others who have addressed similar issues and can offer some recommendations.

As you can see from the picture, the entire side of the vehicle is spayed in mud. The running boards do nothing but make it worse. The mud collects around the outside door handles making a mess in your hand and the running boards are mounted too high to serve the purpose of getting in or out of the vehicle. They stick out just far enough from the vehicle to make it impossible to swing your lower legs out from the vehicle far enough to avoid picking up a fresh horizontal mud imprint across the back of your lower pant leg.

The running boards, they gotta go. I'm looking for a recommendation on mud flaps that would reduce the amount of mud painted on the side of the vehicle. Also, I would entertain power running boards that would swing down low enough to assist in getting in and out.

A thousand thanks to anyone who can tell me how they solved this issue.

20240204_150317.jpg
I have not yet added mud flaps, but I am considering it. The issue for me is we get wet snow here, and in prior cars I have owned with flaps, the snow mixes with the road sand and cakes the inside of the flaps to the point where it will rub the tire. I used to carry a cheap 7 iron to knock it out of the wheel wells on a regular basis. I did replace my OEM side steps with the Rock Slide Engineering power steps, and I love them. They still get mud and snow on the top, but the steps work perfectly even in junky conditions. I highly recommend them.

misterspivey

Wildtrak
First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I hate the look of mud flaps and have never added them to any vehicle I've owned. I don't care if my vehicle gets muddy. But on the 250 mile drive home from the dealer, I learned that Broncos with the Sasquatch tires need something to stop the rocks from flinging up and chipping the paint. We brought our Wildtrack home from Portland to Seattle on the Friday afternoon before Christmas and traffic was so bad that Waze directed us off the freeway and at one point onto a gravel road. When we got back on the freeway, the sound of the rocks pinging off the underside and doors of the vehicle was loud enough to startle us and it was continuous for several miles. That's when I decided to get mud flaps but still haven't done it yet.

OP
OP
boshog

boshog

Outer Banks
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I hate the look of mud flaps and have never added them to any vehicle I've owned. I don't care if my vehicle gets muddy. But on the 250 mile drive home from the dealer, I learned that Broncos with the Sasquatch tires need something to stop the rocks from flinging up and chipping the paint.
We get mud sprayed up on all our vehicles, and we can deal with that but I wanted to stop the mud from getting up into the door handles so mud flaps I will have to go by order of the wife, it is her Bronco.

Someone in this thread recommended a paint-protective film. I'm looking into that now. My bride ordered her Bronco in Azure Gray Metallic which was a $1K option, I want to protect it from rocks and other debris that can cause paint chips.

Sponsored

OuterJersey

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes I had paint chips happen before I added flaps

JBWildTrak

Badlands
First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We just purchased our new Bronco BL SAS last weekend. So far, we’ve ordered the Archetype Stirrup Steps and OEM wheel locks. I’m thinking about ordering mud flaps for the front, but none for the rear wheels. Not installing mud flaps for the rear wheels can help tailgating drivers figure out quickly that is probably not such a smart idea to follow too close. All you have to do is hit a water puddle and you’ll send a filthy water spray from the rear tires.
Nevertheless, this thing will kick up small rocks.

OuterJersey

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks