Sponsored

Whats your favorite GOAT mode to wheel in?

BadmansSAS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquach
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Obviously it depends on what terrain you are wheeling in, but I found one mode in particular that I really like. Sand mode.

For some reason Sand mode seems to check all the boxes in terms of throttle response, trans shift schedules and 4wd management. I was out this last weekend in a mixture of sand, mud and some rock and I kept going back to sand mode no matter what I was in.

Might be completely circumstantial, but it was by accident I landed in sand mode. Was trying to get into baja for some quick runs across a deep sandy part of trail, and sand mode seemed to do better. Same with the muddy parts we were in. Sand mode. By the end of the day, I had set it and forget it in sand mode by quite a few hours.

Mud mode was fine but the trans felt weird. It couldnt figure out what gear it wanted to be in when I was just putting along at a static throttle pedal.

But I was curious what mode you all like or have a go-to GOAT mode when wheeling in your favorite part of the trails?

1715281202742-0c.png
Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like to go to Baja mode, then drive 2.5hrs home without switching back. And do a gnarly rock crawl and torque out hard, knocking a nut off the skid plate mounts. đź‘€ :oops:

I did like Baja, but on rocks of course it's not great. However, the one I use most is Rock Crawl, and it's... not great above 15mph, of course. If it were easier/possible to fast switch between the two, that could be pretty awesome, in fact.

I've not tried sand mode. Anybody care to elaborate on what sand modes actually doing?

OP
OP
BadmansSAS

BadmansSAS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like to go to Baja mode, then drive 2.5hrs home without switching back. And do a gnarly rock crawl and torque out hard, knocking a nut off the skid plate mounts. đź‘€ :oops:

I did like Baja, but on rocks of course it's not great. However, the one I use most is Rock Crawl, and it's... not great above 15mph, of course. If it were easier/possible to fast switch between the two, that could be pretty awesome, in fact.

I've not tried sand mode. Anybody care to elaborate on what sand modes actually doing?
Im sure there's a chart out there that lays out all the modes and what they do. To me it felt more intuitive to slow to medium speed offroading. It would hold gears but not too long to where it was wringing out the engine. And the throttle pedal felt good. Not to sensitive and not a fluffy dead pedal. Its almost like putting it in 4H in normal mode, but the trans would hold gears longer. So was helpful to get through the very slow stuff, but it was smart enough to get into the next gear when I needed to get a little speed.

OP
OP
BadmansSAS

BadmansSAS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t really use them unless I’m just showing them off to someone. I just push the buttons when I need the things
Only problem with that is the trans shift schedules you are missing. It will want to drop gears fast or skip 2nd and do the 1-3 all the time. The GOAT modes will at least manage the trans better than normal, but I do get what you're saying. Aside from sand, I did appreciate the long sandy drives down the trail, but in normal mode/4h. That felt confidence inspiring, but also felt it wasnt putting strain on the bronco.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Im sure there's a chart out there that lays out all the modes and what they do. To me it felt more intuitive to slow to medium speed offroading. It would hold gears but not too long to where it was wringing out the engine. And the throttle pedal felt good. Not to sensitive and not a fluffy dead pedal. Its almost like putting it in 4H in normal mode, but the trans would hold gears longer. So was helpful to get through the very slow stuff, but it was smart enough to get into the next gear when I needed to get a little speed.
Right, remembered I just saw this again the other day.

Ford Bronco Whats your favorite GOAT mode to wheel in? 1715283066292-13

Noremac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I dont use them unless showing off... mine stays in normal and 4h or 4lo for different levels of terrain. Most of my trail riding is either intermediate rock climbing, mud, or washouts.

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sand mode gets you more aggressive throttle and shift points. I like sand mode for higher speed forest roads, but have to turn off the rear locker 99% of the time I switch to it. I usually stick with normal for most slower cruising on what passes for a forest road here. Occasionally use rock crawl for a 'macro' for rocky obstacles - shift to 4l, turn off traction, .... I've had the rig for over 2 years now and have only used mud, slippery, and eco once each just to see. Baja is a bit much for most roads around here, but there are a few that you can haul ass on.

I wanna get Forscan and enable sport (and remove eco if possible). Eco mode on 6000lb brick is just dumb. If you want eco, you're driving the wrong rig. That being said, this thing gets exactly twice the MPG on the highway as my 67 did (18 vs 9), and triple that of my carburated 73.

Wish I could simply adjust throttle and transmission response like the wife's BMW. I've been wheeling enough to know where the xfer case and lockers need to be set before proceeding.

I did almost screw myself in deep sand once, small little stretch of deep stuff and hit the rear locker and gunned it. Got into the deep and the $%^& traction control kicked in cutting power right when I needed it most. Won't make THAT mistake again!

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@BadmansSAS Do realize that even though you asked about how people actually use GOAT modes, you will get a certain amount of "only poseurs use those!" Like little forum drive bys. Thanks for participating!

Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don’t really use them unless I’m just showing them off to someone. I just push the buttons when I need the things
I used to be the same way until going through the modules trying to disable brake over throttle. Turns out using the off-road only modes disables certain parts of the airbag settings. Very useful for crawling.