Sponsored

When nature and an open air ride collide...

Who's been dive-bombed before? Select all that apply.

• Total voters

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In almost 50 years of riding motorcycles I've been hit by all kinds of things, birds included. All things considered I much prefer the birds to the cars.
Sponsored

Chewcudda

Black Diamond
First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
kia soul, mini cooper, kawasaki versys
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bee in the helmet at 25mph scares the shit out of a fella.
Bee to the throat at 25mph will make you find religion.
Bee to the throat at 70mph will make you lose your religion.

Chewcudda

Black Diamond
First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In almost 50 years of riding motorcycles I've been hit by all kinds of things, birds included. All things considered I much prefer the birds to the cars.
In my close to 40 years on two wheels the worst thing I ever got hit with was a thumb sized chunk of tarry asphalt coming off a car going the other direction at 70 mph. There was no where to pull off and i was convinced I had been shot.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Took a direct hit from a bird when on my motorcycle doing 55 or so. The actual bird hit me square in the shoulder and about took me down from the impact.

Sponsored

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Passenger seat and center console have been bombed. But no one was harmed. Closest I came to getting hit was a berry filled turd bomb smacked the cowl just infront of the windshield on the drivers side. Any closer it would have hit me right in the head. It was a monster of a Birdy BM!

Todkavonic

First Edition
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Ducati, Guzzi, and the Jeep.
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hit a bird with my face while doing 70mph on my motorcycle. Thank God I had a full face helmet. Felt like someone threw a baseball at my head! Bird didn't make it.
I've had that happen as well. No idea how a non-helmeted rider would've coped.

Worst motorcycle vs. animal, for me (since we ARE on that subject, it's termed "thread-drift") was a turkey. Highway speeds, two lane county road, coming around a bend, and there's two adult turkeys walking left to right across the road. I swerve to the right shoulder and let off the throttle but the lead turkey Is running (and trying to fly) faster than I'm able to swerve. I hit it at the level of my headlamp. It then careened up and nailed my right bicep. The impact causes me to inadvertently flip the kill switch so now I'm coasting, about 50mph, engine off, with a broken fairing and a throbbing bicep and a "what the hell just happened?" feeling.

I roll to a stop and dismount. Turkey's dead. My fairing was ruined and the windshield was in pieces. The speedometer was cracked and the front brake reservoir was gone. I limp home sans front brake. Could've been so much worse...for me, I mean. Couldn't have been much worse for the turkey.

Ford Bronco When nature and an open air ride collide... 07398BF6-3718-47B5-8A42-4F9B67A23FF1

Nate

Bullseye

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Trailblazer, '09 Forester Limited
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've had that happen as well. No idea how a non-helmeted rider would've coped.

Couldn't have been much worse for the turkey.

Nate
Great job keeping it under control though!
That's the thing with riding (I guess with driving in a cage as well), most people get it worse when they freak out and tense up. You obviously kept your cool and lived to talk about it. Or else you didn't have any time to react and fate was just on your side lol.

myrlin16

Outer Banks
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Audi TT, BWM 228i
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wife and I both have convertibles and have been hit a couple of times. I always put the top up when parked to avoid the fun of cleaning.

On a related note, ages ago, I had a sparrow cut itself in half on the windshield wiper of a Ford Festiva. I was out delivering papers on a rock road in the country. My stupid first instinct was to turn on the wiper to get the bird off.

BAD IDEA... I ended up with a bloody, rock dust covered window, with no windshield wiper fluid. Had to finish a 3 hour route peaking through a small clear spot on my windshield winging papers as best I could!

buckthis

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150, Ford Focus, Buick Enclave, Toyota CH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

They do not. Everything comes out of their cloaca. And they don't even have a sphincter to control things so, regardless of how it feels when a bird craps on you, it wasn't on purpose.

It's only 730. I hope that's the strangest thing I say/write today

Nate
Impressed with your knowledge!

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I've owned a Jeep for 6 years now and have always wondered if one day a bird will hit me, or the interior... Curious if others have any experience in this department. ...
It can't be any worse than getting hit in the face with bees. I've been through that a couple times. At least you can just wipe bird doo off and don't have to deal with being stung.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

took a very large bee to the helmet doing about 80kph (50mph?). Hit a few birds off the top of my windshield a couple times doing 60kph-ish (40mph?)

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Bee in the helmet at 25mph scares the shit out of a fella.
Hit a bird with my face while doing 70mph on my motorcycle. Thank God I had a full face helmet. Felt like someone threw a baseball at my head! Bird didn't make it.
Bee to the throat at 25mph will make you find religion.
Bee to the throat at 70mph will make you lose your religion.
In my close to 40 years on two wheels the worst thing I ever got hit with was a thumb sized chunk of tarry asphalt coming off a car going the other direction at 70 mph. There was no where to pull off and i was convinced I had been shot.
Took a direct hit from a bird when on my motorcycle doing 55 or so. The actual bird hit me square in the shoulder and about took me down from the impact.
You guys are my people. In my years on two wheels, I have seen/taken some shit. I've had bees and wasps in my helmet. Been stung in the throat. Taken rocks/debris to every part of my body (I mostly ride naked bikes with no windshields, so you get it...), I've also ALMOST hit a fucking mountain lion once on 280N at around midnight. In a stretch with no street lights.

But you want to know the worst thing that I've ever hit?

Downtown San Francisco. A fucking homeless person spiked me in my head/face/front visor with a fresh piece of Safeway fried chicken. Full breast or more. Not only did it snap my head back, but the grease smear made my visor totally blurred as I was going through the intersection. Maybe 45-55mph? I have never been so pissed and in so much pain, as well as heart-racing-terror of dying.

I turned on a dime once I got my visor up to confront the guy, but the dude was ABSOLUTELY loony. Had him by his shirt collar and everything, but you could see in his eyes there was no one home.

Fuckin' drugs, man...

Chewcudda

Black Diamond
First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
ok since we are sharing worst animal/motorcycle hits........ me vs cow.
1. the cow should not have been there. I was on private land where bovines should not be.
2. I came over a rise and a big ass brahma was across the WHOLE TRAIL.
3. thank god I was on a honda ct 70 so I was only going about 25-30 but the bike stopped, I did not, and I when over the top sort of. I kinda slid over the top and landed on my back.

chiefsnsox

Big Bend
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 ford fusion
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My wife and I were driving down to Virginia Beach and a bat flew in the open window and bounced off both of us and got stuck behind her.
Sponsored