Sponsored

Where do you put/store your key fob in the vehicle?

Wallyworld Ranger 269

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Charger R/T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Consider yourself lucky - We have to put a wheel boot on the lawn tractor. :)
Yeahā€¦old guy over here, kinda same line of thinking. Not meant as an insult to anyone but Iā€™m of the Gunnery Sgt Hartman to Pvt. Pyle about his foot locker school of thought. IYKYK šŸ˜‰. Iā€™ve always locked everything I owned that had a lock and keys are separate from vehicles. At home or on vacation.

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Xira
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2022 Silverado LT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I know back in the day, I had the same thought of "I like the tactile feedback of physically turning a key and hearing/feeling the engine come to life" but it passed. Didn't help when the ignition cylinder actually fell out of my Dodge's steering column while I was driving.

The battery will eventually die in the fob, but it's a standard CR2032 that takes thirty seconds to replace. It'll typically last longer than the $200 battery under the hood, and you can still start the car even if the fob battery dies ;)

With the lawn tractor, my secret is to own one that never restarts again without needing to fix the carb or the fuel line or clean a mouse nest out or SOMETHING every friggen week

OP
OP

Surfnbike

First Name
Mahtayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco wannabe
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I forgot to mention I live in Southern California and am wearing board shorts or workout shorts almost all summer, so I literally do not have pockets! :)

I like the dash storage idea. I wish I lived in a part of the country where I could just leave my keys in my car full time. Maybe when I move in a year or two that will be in my future, this place is just getting too crazy for me.

thedrdonna

Badlands
First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2-Dr Badlands non-SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a purse. Keys go in the purse.

Now, where the *purse* goes is an ever-shifting question based on car occupancy, current usage goals, status of the folding rear seats, etc, etc. Sometimes I just put the stupid thing on top of the cup holders, when no better option is available.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Surfnbike

First Name
Mahtayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco wannabe
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Where are your keys/fob before you get to the vehicle?
That is where the fob can be while you are driving.
In my hand...or yeah, a backpack if I am going to the beach or a workout. But...I am often in and out of my truck without the backpack, like school drop off where I walk my kids to the gate, which means that I'd have to dig through the backpack to get my keys.

Ok dumb question but if the fob battery dies, how do you start the car? I guess you could still get in if you have a keypad (which the '24s do not have anymore), but when you are in the vehicle it will still let you start without a working CR2032 battery?

OP
OP

Surfnbike

First Name
Mahtayo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco wannabe
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Also, I guess the keypads are available now in '24s and you can stick 'em anywhere in the Bronco....my 2018 F150 had one mounted to the door. Since the new ones are mobile, I assume they have a battery no? How long do the batteries last, and if the keypad battery dies you are also out of luck? In my F150 I used to lock my keys in a safe in the vehicle when I'd go surfing, that way no low life could steal my entire backpack and get a free truck.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Carry mine attached to a carabiner which is hooked into my belt loop. I have lost my Bronco before but never my fob. šŸ˜
This is the way.

SeptuagenerianSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also, I guess the keypads are available now in '24s and you can stick 'em anywhere in the Bronco....my 2018 F150 had one mounted to the door. Since the new ones are mobile, I assume they have a battery no? How long do the batteries last, and if the keypad battery dies you are also out of luck? In my F150 I used to lock my keys in a safe in the vehicle when I'd go surfing, that way no low life could steal my entire backpack and get a free truck.
I hope somebody with info answers your question about the longevity of the keypad battery.

My keys and daily fob always hang from either a dedicated hook in my office or my belt. But what about that 2nd fob as a spare?

I've started, but haven't put in operation, use of the hollow space in the tailgate as a secure hide--an idea once broached on a thread here. This is the plan:
1) Relocate the adhesive-backed keypad to inside the fuel fill covering. This is not secure, but it is out of sight, and no place a thief is likely to check. Well, a gas thief, maybe.
2) Pry off the plastic louvre from inside the tailgate. Cut off the snap pins that secure it to the tailgate cavity.
3) Glue velcro or some other product to affix the vent cover so it can be easily removed and re-attached. You now have a hidden, reasonably secure compartment to stow high-value items.
4) Get a Faraday box or pouch, where you can put your spare fob, a backup credit car, cash, your house keys, things like that.

Of course, somebody might observe you accessing the system and crack it. No security system is 100% effective: you have to find the balance between convenience and realistic protection against probable threats. I'm trying to figure out a way to install a secure lockbox where I can stow a firearm so there would be one more level or security.

Incidentally, at least two outfits use this space for a compressor. I do wonder about heat dispersion:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...tailgate-compressor-mount-early-review.81519/

https://bronco6g.com/forum/threads/coming-soon-iag-tailgate-air-compressor-kit.94471/

Sponsored

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Maybe I am just old but in my F150 I had a physical key which was just fine, so when I got into the truck the key goes into the ignition, turn, vehicle runs. When it is time to get out, take out the key and truck shuts off.

Fast forward to last week when I rented a car with a push-button "keyless" ignition (even though it had a "key" which I had to carry around), and I'll be damned if half the time I lost the fob inside the car since unlike a traditional key which physically holds your keys, this one, rolled off the center console, or fell into a cup holder, or fell in between the seat, et cetera, and sometimes both my wife and I would exit the vehicle, forgetting to push the ignition button to turn the vehicle off LOL. It used to be muscle memory with a physical key.

So what was wrong with the old way? How long did it get you to get used to the push button setup? Is there a place in the bronco to store it, or an aftermarket product to hold your keys like in the "old days?"

Edit: last but not least, I never had to worry about replacing batteries in my F150 key.
Carabiner-ed to my cargo shorts or Wrangler jeans! I would never leave them in the Bronco.

Wallyworld Ranger 269

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Charger R/T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In my hand...or yeah, a backpack if I am going to the beach or a workout. But...I am often in and out of my truck without the backpack, like school drop off where I walk my kids to the gate, which means that I'd have to dig through the backpack to get my keys.

Ok dumb question but if the fob battery dies, how do you start the car? I guess you could still get in if you have a keypad (which the '24s do not have anymore), but when you are in the vehicle it will still let you start without a working CR2032 battery?
If I remember, in the very bottom of the center console is a fob cut out. Place the fob in the cut out and itā€™ll start

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeahā€¦old guy over here, kinda same line of thinking. Not meant as an insult to anyone but Iā€™m of the Gunnery Sgt Hartman to Pvt. Pyle about his foot locker school of thought. IYKYK šŸ˜‰. Iā€™ve always locked everything I owned that had a lock and keys are separate from vehicles. At home or on vacation.
Nothing wrong with locking your Bronco but the fob should remain in your pocket ----or purse. Do you leave your pockets in thd vehicle when you exit? Then no chance of losing anything in your pockets or leaving behind.

And there are 2 options of locking vehicle upon exit neither of which make you reach in your pocket. Lock button on door panel. Lock button on door handle.

Of course those don't work with doors off. With doors off you can only lock the vehicle with the keyfob, lol.

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Keys are on a carabiner on my belt loop.
Sponsored