Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Locking my FOB inside the Bronco.
There are lots of reasons you might want to lock a FOB inside. Hiking, biking or whatever.
In my case I like to Scuba Diving. A lot of divers just hide their key/FOB outside the car or area somewhere.
I have done it a bit differently.
I started by getting a Keyless Entry Pad. On the newer Fords you can’t just program it like another FOB. You have to use FDRS, Ford’s software (haven’t figured out how to do with Forscan yet). Luckily I have access to that. Took 10 minutes to activate and the set the code I wanted. Most dealerships will do it for their minimum charge.
I use a faraday bag (puchased two pack on Amazon) and put inside the vehicle. Another person on this forum showed a great place in the rear tailgate door to hide it.
I took the inside cover off the rear gate/door (take off from the center so you don’t break the tabs) and removed the clips. I used 3M velcro and it comes/pulls off so nice.
I put the faraday bag in there.
The reason I put the keyless pad on the back is some places I dive I still have all my dive stuff on. You can put it wherever. Some folks like the area in the gas filler compartment. I also had a couple key blades made and have one on my BCD and one in my wallet.
Here are some photos.

IMG_9569.jpeg

IMG_9564.jpeg

IMG_9567.jpeg

IMG_9568.jpeg

IMG_9562.jpeg

IMG_9496.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

JWBroncoATL

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Cool idea!

So am I thinking about this right...

The purpose of also having the key blades made is that if for some reason the keyless entry failed, you still unlock the front driver door with your key blade, hit the unlock button on the door to unlock the tailgate and then get access to your FOB that is hidden in the faraday bag?

Is there any other use case?

OP
OP
Bronc’n Bronco

Bronc’n Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Cool idea!

So am I thinking about this right...

The purpose of also having the key blades made is that if for some reason the keyless entry failed, you still unlock the front driver door with your key blade, hit the unlock button on the door to unlock the tailgate and then get access to your FOB that is hidden in the faraday bag?

Is there any other use case?
Yes, or if I’m unconscious and someone needs the first aid equipment/oxygen etc.

Bronco Rick

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Locking my FOB inside the Bronco.
There are lots of reasons you might want to lock a FOB inside. Hiking, biking or whatever.
In my case I like to Scuba Diving. A lot of divers just hide their key/FOB outside the car or area somewhere.
I have done it a bit differently.
I started by getting a Keyless Entry Pad. On the newer Fords you can’t just program it like another FOB. You have to use FDRS, Ford’s software (haven’t figured out how to do with Forscan yet). Luckily I have access to that. Took 10 minutes to activate and the set the code I wanted. Most dealerships will do it for their minimum charge.
I use a faraday bag (puchased two pack on Amazon) and put inside the vehicle. Another person on this forum showed a great place in the rear tailgate door to hide it.
I took the inside cover off the rear gate/door (take off from the center so you don’t break the tabs) and removed the clips. I used 3M velcro and it comes/pulls off so nice.
I put the faraday bag in there.
The reason I put the keyless pad on the back is some places I dive I still have all my dive stuff on. You can put it wherever. Some folks like the area in the gas filler compartment. I also had a couple key blades made and have one on my BCD and one in my wallet.
Here are some photos.

Ford Bronco Lock your FOB/Key in your Bronco IMG_9496

Great idea.

Did you try to lock/unlock your bronco thru the bg to determine if it really blocks RFI signals?

OP
OP
Bronc’n Bronco

Bronc’n Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Great idea.

Did you try to lock/unlock your bronco thru the bg to determine if it really blocks RFI signals?
Yes. That’s why I got the bag. I used to use aluminum foil but found with the Bronco I could put my hand on the door and it would unlock unless I was four layers thick. Bag works great.

Sponsored

MrParticular

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
davidlauterbach.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7 Bronco, 1989 5.0 25th Anniversary Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I bought that same 2-pack of TICONN Faraday bags on Amazon and they don't work with my key fob! And of course, I had already thrown the box away :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Bronc’n Bronco

Bronc’n Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I bought that same 2-pack of TICONN Faraday bags on Amazon and they don't work with my key fob! And of course, I had already thrown the box away :rolleyes:
Make sure it’s in the right slot or it won’t work. I made that mistake the first time.

IMG_4237.jpeg

FDHog

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat FX4, 22 Road Glide ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I used to dive. I don't know how deep you're going, but they do make waterproof bags you can put stuff in and take the fob with you. I used to take my "keys" with me. Remember those!

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just take your key with you. I spent 6hrs one day jet skiing and swimming in a lake with my key in my pocket the whole time. Didnt hurt it.

If you use the keypad to lock the doors you have to use it to reopen. No need to hide your fob or do anything to block the signal. I do it every time Im out on the lake. Unless doors are off then it goes with me.

Sponsored

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I found that there is enough room between the tailgate opening and where it closes on the main body to stash a fob, so my plan is to rivet a faraday pouch there and maybe a piece of metal above so miscreants can't snake it out, not that you can see it. That way I can do water stuff even if I leave the doors and top off and still leave the key in the Bronco.
It's also handy when you travel. Leave the keys in the Bronco and when you return you know where they are. My ex had her purse stolen on vacation with her vehicle keys in it and I ended up having to get a spare made (i was still feeling benevolent at that time). If my name hadn't been on the title that task would have been far more difficult.
It's not like back when one could have a spare key in the wallet. The fob is too big for that.

Tmkimler

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 2021 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just a heads up, if you store the key long term in a bag/foil, the battery will wear down faster as it is looking for signal. Be sure you know where the spot in the center console is for a dead key fob.

MrParticular

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
davidlauterbach.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7 Bronco, 1989 5.0 25th Anniversary Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Make sure it’s in the right slot or it won’t work. I made that mistake the first time.
After checking that I was using the correct slot, I have had very mixed results... sometimes the bag works and sometimes it doesn't.

OP
OP
Bronc’n Bronco

Bronc’n Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
After checking that I was using the correct slot, I have had very mixed results... sometimes the bag works and sometimes it doesn't.
Strange. Mine works everytime as long as I put it in the right slot. Unless I leave the attached horse hanging out. Just a thought.

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So the keypad doesn’t work like in the trucks where you can just press the last two buttons to lock the key inside without a faraday cage?
Sponsored