First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I'm confused as well. It looks like a sticker from what I can tell in others photos but I agree, I'm not sure why for such an important number its not stamped, riveted or etched into the actual vehicle like all my past cars.
Some junior account feels really good about saving Ford 2 cents per vehicle.
Sponsored

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
So there should be a vin # there? I'm not crazy. Is this a manufacturing error?
Probably been stated but I wouldn't expect a manufacturing error. More likely, since it is used that I be suspicious of it being a stolen vehicle and that vin was too obvious and difficult to change so they pulled it.

There should be vin in other locations though I am not sure where. Hopefully they match the one on the door. Doesn't surprise me that they are suspicious and referring it to police. They probably seen this before.

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
If it is visible on the door frame why is missing marked when door frame is a location option on the form?
on a door that is easily removable....

Sponsored

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Here's a different take.....
The vehicle was serviced for windshield sealant and someone stole the vin tag.
I know it's not easy to do or even likely it happened. Just thought I'd throw it out there as a remote possibility.

I have to admit I'm intrigued as to why it's missing or what happened to it.

OP
OP
FatsWaller

FatsWaller

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here's a different take.....
The vehicle was serviced for windshield sealant and someone stole the vin tag.
I know it's not easy to do or even likely it happened. Just thought I'd throw it out there as a remote possibility.

I have to admit I'm intrigued as to why it's missing or what happened to it.
so after getting in touch with the Previous Owner, who wasn’t acting shady and was pretty transparent with me, the Vin number was there when he bought the car but last year he took the car to his dealership to have the front windshield sealant repaired as per a recall Ford issued. He’s never checked the VIN since then, but we think that when the repair occurred somehow the VIN sticker was removed, destroyed, or fell/slid down into the bottom window channel. So far, all other VIN stickers look original, match and are in the proper places, including the engine VIN which is etched into the block… as the window one should be rather than a damn sticker.

My next step is to contact the dealer that the repair was done at (3000 miles away) to confirm that this repair was indeed done there. And then I need to go to my local Ford dealer and see if we can work something out between these dealerships as I need to get the window removed to look for it.

I’m pretty much in for a royal pain in the ass. if all else fails, then I just have to take the car into highway patrol and they’ll issue a new “blue tag” VIN sticker that is placed in the door and becomes the new official VIN plate.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
so after getting in touch with the Previous Owner, who wasn’t acting shady and was pretty transparent with me, the Vin number was there when he bought the car but last year he took the car to his dealership to have the front windshield sealant repaired as per a recall Ford issued. He’s never checked the VIN since then, but we think that when the repair occurred somehow the VIN sticker was removed, destroyed, or fell/slid down into the bottom window channel. So far, all other VIN stickers look original, match and are in the proper places, including the engine VIN which is etched into the block… as the window one should be rather than a damn sticker.

My next step is to contact the dealer that the repair was done at (3000 miles away) to confirm that this repair was indeed done there. And then I need to go to my local Ford dealer and see if we can work something out between these dealerships as I need to get the window removed to look for it.

I’m pretty much in for a royal pain in the ass. if all else fails, then I just have to take the car into highway patrol and they’ll issue a new “blue tag” VIN sticker that is placed in the door and becomes the new official VIN plate.
If it was done within the last 180 days it should show up on OASIS history, including the dealer that did it. May want to call a local dealer and give them your vin and ask them to run it through OASIS, then explain the situation

OP
OP
FatsWaller

FatsWaller

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
If it was done within the last 180 days it should show up on OASIS history, including the dealer that did it. May want to call a local dealer and give them your vin and ask them to run it through OASIS, then explain the situation
The Previous Owner states it was done just over a year ago. Somebody on this thread actually ran an OASIS for me.

“Looked at OASIS and the only warranty history is 3 recalls at Palmetto Ford. Does not show that the vehicle has branded title or was a buyback and no current or historical GCCT cases. “

josh1121

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan XD Diesel 4x4, LandRover Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well, this thread was a fun ride! I'm in CA too and bought a Bronco in Tx, so I might be able to offer a few points to help. First, no appointment needed for a VIN check. Drive up to the vehicle line (next to the test line) someone will come out and meet you there. I recommend getting there when they open, took me 15 minutes total. Second, the inspector (N. Pigga?) went rogue. Their job is to validate that the VIN is on the vehicle, not tampered with, matches the VIN algorithm, and to document where. If you look on the form it gives the option to mark that the VIN is in several places, because not all cars have a window VIN. Ask them to redo it, end of the problem. I might even go so far as to go to a different DMV so you don't get the same person. As far as getting a new VIN, also not necessary, your VINs match, and that is what CHP will say too. Lastly, there is no requirement for a window VIN, so it doesn't seem worth the risk to reseal the windshield just for that sticker. If you have to replace it, maybe have them look, replace it, etc.

Sponsored
OP
OP
FatsWaller

FatsWaller

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well, this thread was a fun ride! I'm in CA too and bought a Bronco in Tx, so I might be able to offer a few points to help. First, no appointment needed for a VIN check. Drive up to the vehicle line (next to the test line) someone will come out and meet you there. I recommend getting there when they open, took me 15 minutes total. Second, the inspector (N. Pigga?) went rogue. Their job is to validate that the VIN is on the vehicle, not tampered with, matches the VIN algorithm, and to document where. If you look on the form it gives the option to mark that the VIN is in several places, because not all cars have a window VIN. Ask them to redo it, end of the problem. I might even go so far as to go to a different DMV so you don't get the same person. As far as getting a new VIN, also not necessary, your VINs match, and that is what CHP will say too. Lastly, there is no requirement for a window VIN, so it doesn't seem worth the risk to reseal the windshield just for that sticker. If you have to replace it, maybe have them look, replace it, etc.
Hey Josh,

Thanks, I honestly figured that as well. I drove up to the DMV for the VIN check and only waited 10min but the inspector did seem like he was either new at it or didn't really care (probably both). He wasn't even going to tell me anything, he just handed me the completed form and left and I had to chase him down and ask what the missing VIN was all about and that's when he shared his concerns. I have an older vehicle that doesn't have a window VIN that I brought from out of state and this was never an issue when registering it in CA. I think I will go to a different DMV and point out the 6 other locations the VIN is at. Everything matches, the paperwork is all in order, the PO has proof he was the original purchaser from the Dealership and there is clean history/title so there is no reason to believe that the car is stolen or something sinister is going on. If that all works out then at least I can get the car registered and a title in hand while I deal with the nightmare that will be the dealership

Last edited:

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So I purchased a 2022 Badlands from a private party out of state off of Autotrader and it was delivered today (very excited). I live in California, so of course I already knew registering an out of state car was going to be a pain but when I took it for the VIN verification at DMV the employee there seemed confused that my vin number was only on the inner door jam and not visible in the windshield (see photo). I found this odd too as I've never had a vehicle that didn't have the vin visible in the window. He told me I was going to have to be referred the CHP now for them to do further verifications. Is this normal?

Ford Bronco Where the hell is my VIN?! Missing Windshield VIN red fla

Ford Bronco Where the hell is my VIN?! Missing Windshield VIN red fla
Run the VIN# through Google and see what comes up.
Yes, there should be a VIN on the dash. Have the dealer verify the correct VIN# at ALL hidden locations on the vehicle (when I was in law enforcement, we learned that there are many hidden laces on a vehicle with the VIN#.
Once it is verified that the VIN on your door sticker does in fact match your vehicle have the DEALER contact FORD to obtain the legal tamper proof VIN tag and get it installed. I would see this as a manufacturing error (hopefully) and it should be fixed at no cost to you.
I would NOT let this stand the way it is...it could cause you problems on traffic stops and down the road when you sell the Bronco.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I worked in manufacturing for quite a few years. Some of it for the auto industry. Some of that time was in Quality Control. I am of the firm belief that if it can be screwed someone will screw it up. You would think the VIN dash location being correct would be a 100% inspection detail. Emphasis on "you would think". Statistical probably is the basis for all QC checks. Operational defrost and fail to defrost must be 100%. The line operators are responsible for this. I've spent too many hours checking pallets of components and cars parked in a rail yard to believe "There's no way somebody would miss this". It's a stunning and depressing reality how much too many people don't give a shit about their job. Union or non Union. I've worked them both. I'm leaning heavily on "human error" based on experience and the supporting VIN locations the OP has validated.
You made think of a glass tech looking at a form for the windshield recall and seeing a box for "VIN". Instead if writing the VIN on the form they peel the VIN off the dash and stick it on the form. :)

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

IMO it's worth you jumping through a few hoops to get this fixed "the right way" if that's at all possible. In the future anybody you try to sell this too, or any dealer you try to trade it in to will look at that crosseyed! I have never seen a vehicle sold in the US market since the 1968 MY that did not have a vin tag in that location...would be enough to scare me away! Plus now the curiosity!

Johnny Rebel

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Big Bend, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My Raptor is at the body shop for repairs and the windshield is currently removed. I got them to snap a pic of the VIN tag to see if it's possible to determine if the VIN # is an overlay or if it's printed directly onto the FoMoCo background.

To me, it looks like the VIN is a transparent overlay applied to the FoMoCo background.

Ford Bronco Where the hell is my VIN?! Missing Windshield VIN Raptor VIN ta
Sponsored