Sponsored

Which deal is better? Market is flooded with take-off Bronco Wheels/Tires.

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a Base Manual 2-door Bronco and I have been looking for a second set of wheels/tires. I am shocked at how many steelies are out there. Two excellent deals out there in my local Facebook Marketplace:

1. I can get 5 black diamond 17" steelies with TPS sensors for $150. I saw some slightly used Jeep mud tires for $600 as well. (285/70R17, 33"). ~$120 for mounting, balancing = total cost $870.

2. I can also get 5 Outer Banks 32" takeoff Tires with Wheels and TPS Sensors for $500.

Debating which is a better deal. My intent is to keep my base steelies with 30s for the winter and switch to the other tires for the summer. The first deal is closer to what I want for the off-road long term, but the second deal is really does give me a different look is probably better for all around driving. I really like the design of the Outbanks wheel. Also, I can go ahead and swap out my base wheels for 33 inch mud tires when I can afford it in the future.

Which deal is better do you think?
Sponsored

Last edited:

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Option 1.

The Black Diamond wheels are 17" wheels, which is more or less the de-facto standard wheel size for off-road vehicles. So your tire choices will be much more plentiful than 18" wheels when it comes time to replace them in the future. In addition, if you decide you don't like the Black Diamond wheels... you'll have many more 17" aftermarket choices at your disposal.

That said, the 18" wheel size is usually the "default" factory size for pickup trucks. So it isn't like there are any shortage of tires for 18" rims. And if you like the look of the Outer Banks wheels more than the Black Diamond wheels, they aren't a bad choice. Just know most off-road oriented wheels/tires are based on 17" rims.

tblock

Big Bend
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Wife wants them out of garage, headed up to Michigan (Brighton) on Friday.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Option 1.

The Black Diamond wheels are 17" wheels, which is more or less the de-facto standard wheel size for off-road vehicles. So your tire choices will be much more plentiful than 18" wheels when it comes time to replace them in the future. In addition, if you decide you don't like the Black Diamond wheels... you'll have many more 17" aftermarket choices at your disposal.

That said, the 18" wheel size is usually the "default" factory size for pickup trucks. So it isn't like there are any shortage of tires for 18" rims. And if you like the look of the Outer Banks wheels more than the Black Diamond wheels, they aren't a bad choice. Just know most off-road oriented wheels/tires are based on 17" rims.
I have not really thought about that! Thanks! So you are saying 17" would be better than EITHER 16" or 18"? If I get the Outer Banks wheels then those become my daily driver/winter tires, then my 16" steelies will likely get the bigger mud tires for the Summer.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have not really thought about that! Thanks! So you are saying 17" would be better than EITHER 16" or 18"? If I get the Outer Banks wheels then those become my daily driver/winter tires, then my 16" steelies will likely get the bigger mud tires for the Summer.
If by "better" you mean "easiest to find wheels/tires for". Then yes... 17" is better.

Both 16" and 18" would work just fine, and you could argue that 16" is the better off-road wheel size since it leaves more room for tire sidewall. But 17" wheels are by far the most common wheel size for off-road vehicles, so you will find the widest selection of wheels/tires in the future if you stick with 17" wheels.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a Base Manual 2-door Bronco and I have been looking for a second set of wheels/tires. I am shocked at how many steelies are out there. Two excellent deals out there in my local Facebook Marketplace:

1. I can get 5 black diamond 17" steelies with TPS sensors for $150. I saw some slightly used Jeep mud tires for $600 as well. (285/70R17, 33"). ~$120 for mounting, balancing = total cost $870.

2. I can also get 5 Outer Banks 32" takeoff Tires with Wheels and TPS Sensors for $500.

Debating which is a better deal. My intent is to keep my base steelies with 30s for the winter and switch to the other tires for the summer. The first deal is closer to what I want for the off-road long term, but the second deal is really does give me a different look is probably better for all around driving. I really like the design of the Outbanks wheel. Also, I can go ahead and swap out my base wheels for 33 inch mud tires when I can afford it in the future.

Which deal is better do you think?

Those are insane prices. My dealer had a set of 5 brand new OBX tires and wheels complete for a grand and I thought that was good. I love the height and stance of the 18's. Its also a good looking wheel. The dueler ATs have excellent road qualities. I intend to stick with the OEM when I replace the dueler. Wife said NO to a stack of tires sitting in the way for 2 years.

Bigred86

Black Diamond
First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2016 Harley Davidson Sportster48
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If it was me, id go for the obx wheel and tires, then id put off road tires on the base steelies. with the obx package you have a set up ready to go.

SeaVee

Outer Banks
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 2500 Suburban, 77 Bronco, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I can’t get rid of my 5 OBX rims with 18 miles on them. Down to 350 on FB with no takers. Need them gone.

Sponsored

DirtMountainMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Option 1. I purchased some 17" Method wheels and found a new set of Jeep takeoff BFG KO2 285/70R-17 (33") "C" load range and am very happy. The 33" tires really make the Bronco look "right". The Black Diamond stock 32" Grabbers just didn't fill out the wheel wells in my opinion and the same for the OB tires. 95% of my driving is street so the 33" -"C" rating is fine for me and I did not feel a significant difference in the ride when I switched. The steelies with 33" all day in my opinion...or hold out for good deal on Badlands 33" takeoffs for $1200 - $1500.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you like the OBX wheels - I'd go with those. Unless you off road a llot, I wouldn't option "mud" tires for a DD. A/Ts are a good option though. You are paying less for the OBX wheels, it's an easy swap and can find them for cheap with almost zero miles on them. They also look fantastic powder coated all black so if you chose to upgrade the tires eventually you could still change/upgrade their appearance. 17s are more common tire wise, but 18s are still easy to come by - you might just have to factor in a bit more of an increased cost from tire suppliers.

The market really is flooded with OBX wheels. I can't give mine away. Mine have a few thousand miles on them, not a single blemish, all TPMS, and have been listed for 600$ for almost a year, lol.

tblock

Big Bend
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think i have decided we would have a better chance selling the tires and tpms parts. keep rims...

tblock

Big Bend
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
No i think we could get more selling Tires and TPSM then we are getting for sets
Sponsored