Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

@LethalPerformance any chance you could post a dyno graph with your whipple tune and JB4 Map 3 overlaid on each other. They made just about the same power, but I want to see differences in the curve.
They are vendors to both. It would not be a good business decision to mix them in the same message.
What I can tell you is I just installed the Whipple. Prior to that, I was running the JB4 on map 3. The Whipple is hands down better and feels faster than the JB4 on map 3.
Sponsored

Breptar

Raptor
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I’m going to guess the current available tunes were not calibrated with higher ethanol blends because the vehicle isn’t capable of running e85. I hope COBB becomes a player in this because if you make the necessary changes to run e85 the power difference is significant. I know the trucks have different engines, but a popular tuner for them advised that by running full e85 you can expect another 80-90whp over your current 91/93oct tune.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I’m going to guess the current available tunes were not calibrated with higher ethanol blends because the vehicle isn’t capable of running e85. I hope COBB becomes a player in this because if you make the necessary changes to run e85 the power difference is significant. I know the trucks have different engines, but a popular tuner for them advised that by running full e85 you can expect another 80-90whp over your current 91/93oct tune.
Even though this engine isn't specifically approved for E85, from what I've heard all of the components (elastomers, plastics, etc) are E85 compatible. I'm sure huge gains would be possible limited probably by injectors.

Breptar

Raptor
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Even though this engine isn't specifically approved for E85, from what I've heard all of the components (elastomers, plastics, etc) are E85 compatible. I'm sure huge gains would be possible limited probably by injectors.
Yeah, if it’s anything like the trucks, you’d need a higher pressure fuel pump and injectors, but for 80whp, I’d think it’s worth it!

Sponsored

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, Range Rover P525, Audi Etron Chronos
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Also need to take into account E85 tune could really press the limits of what the factory transmission can handle.

Breptar

Raptor
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Also need to take into account E85 tune could really press the limits of what the factory transmission can handle.
What’s the limit of the stock trans?

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yeah, if it’s anything like the trucks, you’d need a higher pressure fuel pump and injectors, but for 80whp, I’d think it’s worth it!
So 80 above what the tune gives on 93 octane?

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

10r60 (Bronco and Bronco Raptor)- maximum input torque rating of 443 ft-lbs

10r80 - input torque rating of 590 ft-lbs.

10r140 - effortlessly handle up to 1,050 ft-lbs of torque

Breptar

Raptor
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So 80 above what the tune gives on 93 octane?
Yes, an additional 80-90whp on top of the 91/93 octane tunes, but the caveat here is that this is for the 3.5s in the trucks, but I doubt the 3.0s are that far behind…

Sponsored

Breptar

Raptor
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

10r80 - input torque rating of 590 ft-lbs.

10r140 - effortlessly handle up to 1,050 ft-lbs of torque

Might be a stupid question, but What’s the difference between the r60 and r80? Is it something as minor as the clutch packs? Sorry, I been a GM guy all my life, and this is a little bit of a crash course on Ford for me. Thanks for the info btw!

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Whipple claim the 10R60 is significantly under rated. I thought I posted that in the Whipple tune thread I started, but I don't see it. They told me directly,

These 10-speed transmissions are underrated, or rated at extreme conditions that are not often, if ever, achieved in real world applications. We are well over the 800nm [sic] rating of the 10r80 [sic] and have basically no issues with the transmission. We are confident the 10R60 will hold this [our tunes] power, especially since the peak torque occurs at a low engine speed and for a relatively short period of time. At high rpm where shifts occur, we [our tune] are under the 600nm [sic] rating. Additionally, when the engine cuts power the make shifts, it is even further under the torque rating. The toughest operation on a transmission like this is when it releases and applies clutches to change gear ratios. During that time, the engine cuts power to protect the transmission and ensure the clutches live a long time. We do not change that operation from stock.
I don't like the fact that they talk about the trans holding this "power" and being at low engine speed as a trans is always rated for torque not power. Maybe a somewhat misstated point/term.

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Whipple claim the 10R60 is significantly under rated. I thought I posted that in the Whipple tune thread I started, but I don't see it. They told me directly,

I don't like the fact that they talk about the trans holding this "power" and being at low engine speed as a trans is always rated for torque not power. Maybe a somewhat misstated point/term.
Ive lost some trust in what Whipple
claims. Example, their claim about being able to send you a stock tune back so you can reflash if needed is false. Their tuner cant flash the stock tune back

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ive lost some trust in what Whipple
claims. Example, their claim about being able to send you a stock tune back so you can reflash if needed is false. Their tuner cant flash the stock tune back
I thought this was true and resolved (as in you can get back to stock)??

Other folks (Hennessy) are also pushing a lot of torque through the 10R60. Reliability is probably still a bit unknown under either tune, despite aggressive short term testing.

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I thought this was true and resolved (as in you can get back to stock)??

Other folks (Hennessy) are also pushing a lot of torque through the 10R60. Reliability is probably still a bit unknown under either tune, despite aggressive short term testing.
No the information was incorrect. It will not work for 2021 and newer. A bronco raptor owner already learned it was not possible when they needed to go back to stock due to errors on the whipple when trying to set a larger tire size. Whipple told them they would have to go to the dealer to flash back
to stock.
Sponsored