Sponsored

Why isn't there a fully retractable soft top for the 2 door?

NinjaQK

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BRZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey guys, I was curious why I haven't seen any soft tops that have a bow system to fully retract a soft top like jeep does for the 2 door model. Is anyone making this or is there a reason why it just won't work? It seems like most people like the fastback style and just remove the windows, but I think it would be nice to just throw the whole roof back anytime you feel like it.
Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey guys, I was curious why I haven't seen any soft tops that have a bow system to fully retract a soft top like jeep does for the 2 door model. Is anyone making this or is there a reason why it just won't work? It seems like most people like the fastback style and just remove the windows, but I think it would be nice to just throw the whole roof back anytime you feel like it.
Back in the day there were several companies making soft tops for Jeeps, and so there were various designs and price points. But currently for Bronco there are only two I know of (Bestop and Rampage), so unfortunately there is not much competition in terms of price, attributes and innovation.

Personally I prefer the classic non-fastback look, plus you don't lose interior space. Maybe there is some reason a fully fold down top was deemed too difficult due to the body/rollbar arrangement? I guess a positive of the Bestop soft top is it might not block the view in back? But I wonder at highway speed if it tends to catch more air being folded high up? The Bestop does seem well designed in terms of fit and finish.

It would be nice down the road to have some more options. A Bestop rep had posted here a while back, potentially they were looking at a future fully fold down top.

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As much as I would like a soft top for my 2 door, there's no way I'm going to accept that big roll of baggy blanket that sticks up when it's "rolled down" That's not rolled down. That's a kinda folded up mess. I'll buy a soft top when it isn't a parachute.

jbacon47

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco BadLands manual 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As much as I would like a soft top for my 2 door, there's no way I'm going to accept that big roll of baggy blanket that sticks up when it's "rolled down" That's not rolled down. That's a kinda folded up mess. I'll buy a soft top when it isn't a parachute.
Agreed. We will just have to wait. MyTop is making a good one for the 4-door, but no 2-door options yet..

Amcole1984

Big Bend
First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Because we are the minority. This will be my 3rd summer in a row having to constantly replace the hardtop at every chance of rain. 😒

Sponsored

Fireman

Base
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GLS, 12 Rubicon, 01 F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Because we are the minority. This will be my 3rd summer in a row having to constantly replace the hardtop at every chance of rain. 😒
wait, what you've had you Bronco for three summers now