Sponsored

Will 265/75r16 tires fit base wheels built for 255/70r16 tires?

BE_

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 jeep cherokee, piece of junk Korean car
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

i am new to offroading stuff, so i need some help knowing what i can and can't do.

would 265/75r16 tires fit on the base rims built for 255/70r16 tires? there is a 10mm difference in width, but i read online that was ok... was the internet lying to me?
Sponsored

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I dont see why not. My vehicle comes stock with 265 tires but I (and almost everyone in my 4x4 club) have 285's on them.

OP
OP
BE_

BE_

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 jeep cherokee, piece of junk Korean car
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I dont see why not. My vehicle comes stock with 265 tires but I (and almost everyone in my 4x4 club) have 285's on them.
big thank!

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

big thank!
I should mention that some tire shops dont like to do it. They have strict rules about only putting stock tire sizes on vehicles. I ran into that once and just left and went to a different shop. I've had xterra's for about the last 10 years and never had any issue with that oversized tire. I've not done a similar thing on other vehicles but it seems like it should work the same way. The main limiting factor is whether there is clearance for a larger tire in the wheel well.

Reactions: BE_

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here's what I do - find your tire in Tire Rack (or somewhere else if they don't have it, I guess). Find the size you're looking for, then open the "Specs" tab and look for "Rim Width Range."

Ford Bronco Will 265/75r16 tires fit base wheels built for 255/70r16 tires? rim-width.PNG

So this specific 265/75R16 tire will fit on any wheel 7"-9" wide. The Base wheels are 16x7, so these would be "legal" per the manufacturer.

You can also squeeze wider tires onto narrower wheels, and you can stretch narrow tires onto wider wheels. But once you're outside what the manufacturer specifies, you're likely sacrificing grip or tire life.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As long as the tire you want is OK with a 7 inch rim, you're OK.
Just look up the specs for the actual tire you want.
Sponsored