First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Remember we are talking about 0.4 liters and only 24 cubic inches. Since they are so close to the same size the cylinder size is not what you would expect the 2.3s cylinders are 27% larger than the 2.7s. That means it will be even more sewing machine like. They are both overbuilt engines and the suspected output from them in the Bronco is less than has been put in other vehicles with a slight differences. The 2.7 wouldnt even make sense if it didnt have the extra turbo which helps it build power quicker on the low end. The 2.7 is gaining aftermarket support, but like the 80s 5.0, there is already a pretty good size aftermarket support structure that has been built across many platforms in various automotive environments. Ford is almost guaranteed to offer a tune for the 2.3 that will make it basically equivalent to the 2.7. Dont forget it can tow 7500lbs in the Ranger, I had a 79 4x4 Ford E250 with a 460 in it that had maybe 240hp and 380 lb ft of torque. It could pass cars on the highway, go 100 mph while weighing over 8000 lbs empty. I towed up to 12,000 lbs with it no worries. The 2.3 has also been built to almost 700 hp and didnt explode after 5 minutes. Also remember we are getting a manual and can hit it and get it at will!
Sponsored

Ultimate6g

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT8 Challenger, Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Pineapple pizza aficionados,

I had originally planned on getting a 4dr 2.7 10 speed auto with the sqatch package.

With today's developments, I'm seriously considering "downgrading" to the 2.3 with the manual, but I'm worried it'll be underpowered? Thoughts?
Having driven the ranger with the 2.3L and it feeling quite strong, i cant see it feeling slower than that with the sasquatch gearing.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A Chinese manual transmission?
If you really think anything in today’s world doesn’t have parts made in China then you’re blissfully ignorant. The auto trans probably has just as many parts from China as the manual. Possibly more since autos generally have more parts inside them. Where it’s made really doesn’t determine the quality anymore. I’ll judge it by how it is, not where it’s made

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not at all. Compare to my Wrangler at 285 hp, 260 torque, on 35s with 3.21 gears and 5 speeds. The 2.3 will be plenty of power stock especially when you consider the gearing and speeds. And it's easy to tune for more.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A Chinese manual transmission?
I would take a Kazackistan made Borat built manual over any slushbox. Are you gonna keep your Bronco or sell it? If you are gonna sell it when the seats get dirty go auto, but if you are gonna keep it and work on it and modify it other than angry eyes and eye lashes go with the stick.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm a big proponent of the 2.3L being able to turn big tires, but that M939 is also twisting nearly 700 pound-feet, lol.

The high likelihood that Ford is also going to offer a tune upping both numbers by ~50 with warrantee is enough reason to not "be skerred" as they say.

BDSQACH

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger... Civic Type R
Your Bronco Model
Base
Instead of arguing on a forum about gears, power, AT/MT, I4 vs V6, 80's, 90's etc... I couldn't wait and really wanted to know performance first hand... So I got a new Ranger (because i couldn't decide on 4MT/6AT)...

If i didn't get the Ranger I probably would have gotten the V6 four door. Now i plan on the I4 MT 2 door. Several reasons but mostly: already have 2 four door vehicles, the I4 has plenty of power, crawler gear will be fun... And in all honesty a 2 door Badlands manual transmission will be impossible to find in the future...

Note: 2.7 direct and port injection for carbon buildup, more power, better reliability... Ok I get it but your paying extra for the engine and then again later when you have to replace not 1 but 2 turbos.

Both choices will elicit a smile. It just depends on what you want or need. But keep it positive in the Bronco community because when $hit gets real we all need to be there for each other.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Pineapple pizza aficionados,

I had originally planned on getting a 4dr 2.7 10 speed auto with the sqatch package.

With today's developments, I'm seriously considering "downgrading" to the 2.3 with the manual, but I'm worried it'll be underpowered? Thoughts?
The 2.7L will put more :) smiles :) on my face than a manual transmission. :)

Sponsored

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I would take a Kazackistan made Borat built manual over any slushbox. Are you gonna keep your Bronco or sell it? If you are gonna sell it when the seats get dirty go auto, but if you are gonna keep it and work on it and modify it other than angry eyes and eye lashes go with the stick.
Oh shoot thats funny and so true ?a manual tranny will always outlast a slushbox and when the world ends you will be glad you chose to shift it yourself?

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Generally agreed.

But in the case of the Bronco, that extra $3,500 for the 2.7L 10A Squatch on the Base model plummets your crawl ratio to 68 Vs 94 for the 2.3L Mansquatch.

Such a deal (???)

What is the OP doing more of; mudding and improved trails, or rock crawling?
Comparing crawl ratio on an automatic v a manual is apples to oranges. The “effective” crawl ratio of the automatic is still better with those numbers.....you can basically roughly double the actual number on the automatic to compare the two. The auto slips and doesn’t stall.