The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can't be convinced that a 4 cylinder is enough for this truck. Especially when you put 4 doors and 35s on it. That is a heavy vehicle.

Even if it is barely enough, it goes against the entire image of the Bronco. To each their own, but mine just can't have a 4-cylinder.
A 2.3L running 1 atm of boost is basically a 4.6L naturally-aspirated engine, actually even better since turbos enable peak torque at a lower RPM. The turbo 2.3L just does it while being much lighter, smaller, and more efficient.

The 'image' of the Bronco also includes it being nimble enough to navigate tricky terrain and efficient enough to get to the middle of nowhere without running out of gas. A heavy/inefficient V8 would just make a more ponderous vehicle with less range off-road.

I say the Coyote would be a terrible fit in an off-roader like the Bronco, since you have to rev the snot out of it to get any torque. The 2.3L with the Ford Performance tune has more torque than the Coyote below 4krpm.

Naturally-aspirated V8s are for sports cars now, in my opinion.
Sponsored

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
You want to drive a absolute dog look no further than my work truck. A 3 liter turbo diesel with 170hp and 280ft lbs moving a 12000 pound vehicle. Any hill I have to drop it into first and stand on the throttle to maybe crest the top at 15mph.

Either engine in this bronco will get it up to speed faster than a tissue box on wheels deserves to go. But I'm dying to drive both!

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've driven a ranger 4X4 with the 2.3 and it never felt underpowered at all. It's also rated to tow 7500 pounds and the few videos i have seen where people put it through a towing test it never seemed underpowered. I know that's not exactly apples to apples since alot of that in is in the suspension but the engine is still plenty capable

Reactions: Tre

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Or more realistically you twist your ankle and suddenly that mansquatch isn't so great for a while lol.
Thats the beauty of the crawler gear no need to rev to get moving. Also I have driven out of the trail up 2 hill climbs, down the powerline road, out of one county into the country roads then into another county and the city I lived in and into my neighborhood and into my garage all after cutting the slave cylinder line on my old 84 Bronco with the granny gear 4 speed. No clutch all rev match shifting no big deal. Who needs a left foot?

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Pineapple pizza aficionados,

I had originally planned on getting a 4dr 2.7 10 speed auto with the sqatch package.

With today's developments, I'm seriously considering "downgrading" to the 2.3 with the manual, but I'm worried it'll be underpowered? Thoughts?
Like GRANNY bringing your BARBELLS up to the ATTIC!

Sponsored

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thats the beauty of the crawler gear no need to rev to get moving. Also I have driven out of the trail up 2 hill climbs, down the powerline road, out of one county into the country roads then into another county and the city I lived in and into my neighborhood and into my garage all after cutting the slave cylinder line on my old 84 Bronco with the granny gear 4 speed. No clutch all rev match shifting no big deal. Who needs a left foot?
Lets not forget playing the music too long,leaving the lights on,ect dead battery no problem push start ?

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You want to drive a absolute dog look no further than my work truck. A 3 liter turbo diesel with 170hp and 280ft lbs moving a 12000 pound vehicle. Any hill I have to drop it into first and stand on the throttle to maybe crest the top at 15mph.

Either engine in this bronco will get it up to speed faster than a tissue box on wheels deserves to go. But I'm dying to drive both!
I used to drive a couple Chevy kodiaks with a 20ft flatbed, had some giant diesel V8, one had a turbo one didnt. Didnt matter either way both were super tired. Any hill required full throttle for about a mile to get up it without bogging down to about 15 mph. They topped out at about 65 mph. We still added about 10 to 15k lbs to it and it would go, but damn it was slow.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Lets not forget playing the music too long,leaving the lights on,ect dead battery no problem push start ?
I know im always passing out in fields playing Ina godda da vita with the strobe lights on!