Sponsored

Will the pre-production Broncos have the same quality issues the F-150 is having?

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This thread is a great example for people who take the first news article online at face value, or only have one news source. Most news outlets don't care that we get the right info, they just want their click counter to go up.
Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I won't say anything F-150 specific, but I would say:

1) Plan on the first year Bronco having significantly more issues than years 2, 3 and 4. First-year vehicles have quite a bit more issues in every brand.

2) Ford has been having quality issues that need to be addressed. Ford spent 2x as much on warranty work in 2019 than GM did, for example.

Maybe Ford will try even harder to get things right, but if we're going to be early adopters, we should prepare that we might have a few more issues to deal with than people who wait. I've always felt it wasn't so much the issues but how they are handled. If Ford and the dealer network handle them well, we'll hardly notice or remember the issues.

toystwo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avalanche, Tracker, S-10, 911, GTI, Volt, 528i
Your Bronco Model
Base
This thread is a great example for people who take the first news article online at face value, or only have one news source. Most news outlets don't care that we get the right info, they just want their click counter to go up.
Is something in the first article inaccurate? All vehicle product launches don’t involve thousands of early production vehicles being stored offsite for fixes. Does it happen sometimes? Sure, but its far from expected if the launch goes well. Does it happen to Ford and GM more than Toyota and Honda? Sure again.

Ford had issues with a lot of the early production and they won‘t disclose why. They are fixing them so that is good but they clearly have had quality issues with several thousand vehicles.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
First, there's more demand for this truck than any other vehicle, so it's really not fair to compare to other releases. It's also been noted that these are finall finish adjustments sent off-site to leverage additional resources to keep production going for a huge demand. Seems stand up that Ford would address these before release and smart to modify resources during trying times. In the end no one on this forum knows the whole truth and despite 3-4 different stories published on it, we will never truly know. I am glad the issues are being addresses regardless of if they are done on site (where people never see it and why they claim it doesn't ever happen like this), or off-site for whatever business needs required this approach. If all the articles matched it would be a different story, but they don't, yet people blindly get on the good ol web and send trash down the line to be reinterpreted in the next article.

toystwo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avalanche, Tracker, S-10, 911, GTI, Volt, 528i
Your Bronco Model
Base
But isn't it great to know Ford won't ship these out until they are perfect, this alone gives me confidence that the Bronco launch will be a good one!
Absolutely it’s good, which I said. Does it ensure Bronco‘s or F-150’s won’t have quality issues - no way! Only time will tell.

The good news is that even the bottom players in reliability (which Ford is) are generally not all that bad (grading is on a bell curve) and all manufacturers have improved markedly over the last several decades.

Sponsored

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They did a QC hold on my 2015 Mustang after it was built. It was in the first batch of production and they held em all and inspected after so many came off the line. It ran flawlessly for 30k miles of really hard driving at VIR, Barber, Road ATL, autocross, Dragon's Tail etc before I traded it in.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had an acquaintance that owned a company that specializes in remanufacturing or repairing vehicles prior to delivery. His #1 customer was BMW. Every company runs into issues. Ford had a terrible launch on the Explorer/Aviator (the Chicago plant has a history of issues). My educated opinion is that launch and Covid coming back to back has created cascading issues and delays. I am not overly concerned about the Bronco for all sorts of reasons, not the least of which, the plant producing the Bronco is top notch. If it was coming out of Chicago, maybe not so much? Our next “Explorer” is likely to be a Mach E ??

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Absolutely it’s good, which I said. Does it ensure Bronco‘s or F-150’s won’t have quality issues - no way! Only time will tell.

The good news is that even the bottom players in reliability (which Ford is) are generally not all that bad (grading is on a bell curve) and all manufacturers have improved markedly over the last several decades.
The other good news is that Ford isn't so much a lower-reliability manufacturer as people think. Look beyond the raw numbers and you find that Ford gets dinged on "initial quality" for things like people not understanding how Sync works. I've always said that's BS. If something actually doesn't work, that's a problem. If it works but some technophobe is too dumb to figure it out or read the manual, that's an ID-ten-T error. Ford got beat up on "initial quality" so much that they made dealers give new owners training. I had to keep telling the salesman, "I work in IT, I got this. Let me just take my car already." ?
Sponsored