First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My wife was driving her 2022 Sasquatch in California several days ago. The temps were in the 60's, no weather, no wind. She stopped at a convenience store to get a drink and was inside for just a few minutes. When she returned to the car, her front windshield had a single, fresh crack starting near the rear view mirror and descending down about 5 inches in an almost straight line. There were no associated impact marks, she was not hit by anything and it was nowhere near pre-existing chips from 2 previous hits (all of which we had filled). We checked her dash cam later to see if someone or something had hit her windshield while she was inside the store, and there was no activity. The camera sits to low to catch the actual crack happening, but it was clear there was no external sources.

Anyone else had, or aware of, a similar issue?
Sponsored

Steed76

Outer Banks
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Ascent, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Easy way to find it is to take a ballpoint pen and trace the crack with the pen, You will find a POI somewhere in that crack, it sucks i hate it for you! But it likely started from a chip, poi that you didn't even know you had.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Easy way to find it is to take a ballpoint pen and trace the crack with the pen, You will find a POI somewhere in that crack, it sucks i hate it for you! But it likely started from a chip, poi that you didn't even know you had.
Would be interesting to hear what the Glass Shop says. Assuming an unknown chip, still should be covered for a replacement.

Gregc57

Outer Banks
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2-door Bronco w/ V-6.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Could just be a stress crack from within the material. It happens, sometimes, to all makes and models. doesn't make it feel any better. Sorry :(

Sponsored

Jsb

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco wildtrack, 2019 Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Could just be a stress crack from within the material. It happens, sometimes, to all makes and models. doesn't make it feel any better. Sorry :(
Stress crack is probably the issue. I just had my windshield replaced on my truck and talking with the glass shop guys, they said this happens quite often. They said they just reolaced a womens glass that shattered during the night while parked in her garage. They also said that gorilla glass breaks the same or more often and not worth the money.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Stress crack is probably the issue. I just had my windshield replaced on my truck and talking with the glass shop guys, they said this happens quite often. They said they just reolaced a womens glass that shattered during the night while parked in her garage. They also said that gorilla glass breaks the same or more often and not worth the money.
Had a neighbor whose rear window in his F-150 shattered in the middle of the night. The glass installer said probably a glass imperfection and perhaps he went over a pothole and it slightly twisted the window, pulling on the crack. Then overnight it finally blew out. It blew out again six months later.

Jsb

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco wildtrack, 2019 Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sounds about right. The glass guys say it happens quite often for no apparent reason. That explanation sounds as good as any.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Got my first crack about 30 days after pickup. It provides the daughter and I something to do while waiting at her bus stop...we count the cracks.

Now the little chips cracks....might as well count the stars it would be faster.

Sorry to read but sadly it's to be expected with a near flat vertical windshield...it's not an if but when type thing.

OP
OP

C1 Ret

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Got my first crack about 30 days after pickup. It provides the daughter and I something to do while waiting at her bus stop...we count the cracks.

Now the little chips cracks....might as well count the stars it would be faster.

Sorry to read but sadly it's to be expected with a near flat vertical windshield...it's not an if but when type thing.
Yeah. We have had little chips that we have been able to fill with resin, but this one is definitely a windshield replacement just waiting for a healthy check...lol

Sponsored

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

A lot of the rock chips happen towards the bottom in the black border of the windshield. So you don’t see them and they crack from there.

MillerAndCheeto

Wildtrak
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Cyber Orange Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've replaced plenty of windows I never thought were chipped.

The dirty little secret ones - like you described - usually start from a chip in the very edge of the window you don't see. And it just sits there, waiting for the prime opportunity to strike. And then when you least expect it......BAM!!
Sponsored