Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Jaguar F-TYPE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I live in Colorado and I normally get winter tires for my other vehicles. Is the stock tire on the badlands good enough to go down 70 or do I need dedicated winter tires?
Sponsored

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
BFG A/Ts that come on the Badlands are 3-peak snow rated, you aren't going to find too many tires other than dedicated snow tires that are much better.

Your actions are going to have a much larger effect than another set of tires.

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I live in the mountains and have the stock Badlands KO2s on my Bronco. Absolutely no way will I run these tires during the winter. Up here a dedicated winter tire is mandatory.

My favorite is Nokian, followed by Blizzaks. Nokians are available in 315/70r17 as well as 285/70r17.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Skmac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I live in the mountains and have the stock Badlands KO2s on my Bronco. Absolutely no way will I run these tires during the winter. Up here a dedicated winter tire is mandatory.

My favorite is Nokian, followed by Blizzaks. Nokians are available in 315/70r17 as well as 285/70r17.

BFG A/Ts that come on the Badlands are 3-peak snow rated, you aren't going to find too many tires other than dedicated snow tires that are much better.

Your actions are going to have a much larger effect than another set of tires.
Two responses two different answers, perfect haha. That being said Ive driven in snow my whole life but the last five years ive gotten witner tires and i have to say it is a life changer vs all weather/season tires. Ive heard that the K2s that come on the badlands are not snow rated and actually do worse in sleet and ice conditions its only high snow that they do well with.

I wont be offroading with the bronco during the winter. But I know I'll be going to cabins deep in some passes along with the normal trip to ski towns . So just looking for what will be best

joeb

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Owned 2 off road vehicles before this Bronco. Had BF G KO2's on both in extreme winters --- snow / sleet / etc. They did the job very well for me anyway.

There are Great dedicated snow / winter tires out there tho.

Sponsored

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Two responses two different answers, perfect haha. That being said Ive driven in snow my whole life but the last five years ive gotten witner tires and i have to say it is a life changer vs all weather/season tires. Ive heard that the K2s that come on the badlands are not snow rated and actually do worse in sleet and ice conditions its only high snow that they do well with.

I wont be offroading with the bronco during the winter. But I know I'll be going to cabins deep in some passes along with the normal trip to ski towns . So just looking for what will be best
I live off grid up a 1450' elevation gain in a 3-mile unmaintained dirt road from the highway. These tires have done just fine for me in icy and various winter conditions.

But you know opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink.

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
First off... I'd never use my Bronco as a winter driver. I typically spend 150 days per year in ski boots. I drove up the snowiest mtn in the world 5 days per week. My everyday driver then was a diesel VW wagon with FWD and Ice Xs (diferent snow than Intermountain West).. I also had a 4Runner and it was a pig in the snow. My everyday winter driver now is an Audi SQ5 with studded Nokians. It is a total beast. 0 - 60 in under 5 seconds. 100% confidence in winter driving conditions - even those rare days when I70 is moving at 80mph in snow.

The first time that I drive it in serious winter conditions was at a PSIA thing at Loveland. We were hammered with an early winter storm. Daytime temps in below zero single digits. I hit City Market after camp and was at a light in Dillion, first line of vehicles. I punched it. There was the slightest bit of waiver and rocketed off. I looked in the rear view mirror and other vehicles were just sitting still, spinning around.

For my money, there is no better tire for CO's persistant freeze / thaw cycles than the studded Nokians (that same freeze thaw cycle provides us with the sketchiest snowpack in the US, if not the world). If you are doing the I70 shit show commute, I cannot recommend them highly enough. You may only be doing 10mph, but you won't be the guy that caused the accident.

Last edited:

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I live off grid up a 1450' elevation gain in a 3-mile unmaintained dirt road from the highway. These tires have done just fine for me in icy and various winter conditions.

But you know opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink.
Also based on your person expeerience. MT sees half the snowpack that the Coastal Ranges do.

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First off... I'd never use my Bronco as a winter driver. I typically spend 150 days per year in ski boots. I drove up the snowiest mtn in the world 5 days per week. My everyday driver then was a diesel VW wagon with FWD and Ice Xs (diferent snow than Intermountain West).. I also had a 4Runner and it was a pig in the snow. My everyday winter driver now is an Audi SQ5 with studded Nokians. It is a total beast. 0 - 60 in under 5 seconds. 100% confidence in winter driving conditions - even those rare days when I70 is moving at 80mph in snow.

The first time that I drive it in serious winter conditions was at a PSIA thing at Loveland. We were hammered with an early winter storm. Daytime temps in below zero single digits. I hit City Market after camp and was at a light in Dillion, first line of vehicles. I punched it. There was the slightest bit of waiver and rocketed off. I looked in the rear view mirror and other vehicles were just sitting still, spinning around.

For my money, there is no better tire for CO's persistant freeze / thaw cycles than the studded Nokians (that same freeze thaw cycle provides us with the sketchiest snowpack in the US, if not the world). If you are doing the I70 shit show commute, I cannot recommend them highly enough. You may only be doing 10mph, but you won't be the guy that caused the accident.
Alpine is dead. Drop some knees.

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Alpine is dead. Drop some knees.
I was on pins for three decades and was certified as an instructor (for Nordic as well) by two organizations. When we moved to the PNW I switched to AT, then alpine.

I still get on tele skis ocassionally. However you know that great feeling of lateral acceleration in pow on tele skis? You can get that same sensation everyday on hardpack once you learn how to drive a FIS ski. Most people are on skis too wide too ever get there.

Sponsored

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Also based on your person expeerience. MT sees half the snowpack that the Coastal Ranges do.
I hadn't realized Colorado moved out to the coast since I last lived there, granted it's been 20 years and I don't keep up with the state anymore.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have found that KO2's work well until the snow gets packed. Once packed they will slide around like crazy. I will be doing a set of studded Nokians for NW MT.

OP
OP

Skmac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting comments my other daily winter driver is a subaru outback which has always done fine once I get the witner tires on. I never had to have studs on the wheels before. Can you drive around the city with that or do you swap them out only when your about to go to the moutains.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Interesting comments my other daily winter driver is a subaru outback which has always done fine once I get the witner tires on. I never had to have studs on the wheels before. Can you drive around the city with that or do you swap them out only when your about to go to the moutains.
Studs can be driven on dry pavement. They are hard on the road surface, they don't handle or stop as well on dry pavement. On ice or hard pack they are well worth it.
Sponsored