Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hi everyone,
Asking for a little help. I’m not super handy but trying to do this my self. I have the rigid side shooter lights all mounted and setup correctly. Had some questions on the rigid factory harness. I heard that this harness needs to be stripped down or will it work as is? Any help would be great. Would wire to brown wire to aux buttons. Just didn’t have any instruction for this install to aux switches. Thank you bronco peeps!

IMG_5537.jpeg

IMG_5542.jpeg
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Two options.

If you pick the first option... make sure you pick an Aux line that is fused correctly for the lights—refer to your light's specifications and the Bronco's user manual.

Ford Bronco Wiring help (Rigid D-SS Pro) for a 2021 wildtrack 1684554029936

Ford Bronco Wiring help (Rigid D-SS Pro) for a 2021 wildtrack 1684554051101

Axle Roads

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 2 Door, 2017 Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know that auxiliary switch number four (brown wire) is fused for 10 amps but I feel that the size of the wire that is being used by Ford is not sufficient for 10 amps of current. I don’t think it’s even 18 gauge. Maybe I’m wrong. If it was me, I would use a switch fused for at least 15 amps, but if your higher current switches are used up or you just really want to use auxiliary switch number four I would use a relay. That’s just me, I’m sure lots of people are using those switches at close to what they’re fused at. I’m curious what others think.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know that auxiliary switch number four (brown wire) is fused for 10 amps but I feel that the size of the wire that is being used by Ford is not sufficient for 10 amps of current. I don’t think it’s even 18 gauge. Maybe I’m wrong. If it was me, I would use a switch fused for at least 15 amps, but if your higher current switches are used up or you just really want to use auxiliary switch number four I would use a relay. That’s just me, I’m sure lots of people are using those switches at close to what they’re fused at. I’m curious what others think.
Aux 1-2 is 16-ish gauge, Aux 3-6 is 18-ish gauge. ("-ish" because Ford uses metric units in all of their vehicles, so the traditional 'MERICA wire gauge sizes don't really apply.)

It really depends how far you are running the wire. Obviously... running a 18 gauge wire from the engine bay all the way back to the rear of the Bronco with a 10 amp load on it is a REAL bad idea. If it's staying in the engine bay around the fuse box area... probably okay.

Axle Roads

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Aux 1-2 is 16-ish gauge, Aux 3-6 is 18-ish gauge. ("-ish" because Ford uses metric units in all of their vehicles, so the traditional 'MERICA wire gauge sizes don't really apply.)

It really depends how far you are running the wire. Obviously... running a 18 gauge wire from the engine bay all the way back to the rear of the Bronco with a 10 amp load on it is a REAL bad idea. If it's staying in the engine bay around the fuse box area... probably okay.
It is definitely a short enough length, I guess I would just rather play it safe, although it is nice to keep as few wires littering the engine bay as possible and fewer potential failure points. Do you think long periods of use will increase risk of overheating the wire?

Sponsored

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Let's think about this, Ford put an 18 gauge wire on a 10 amp line, and people are saying it is to small in their opinion. Well let's look at the Engineering side of things.

Depending on length of the run will determine the line loss. The longer distance the less current will make it. The shorter the distance the more will make it.

So an 18AWG wire can handle any where from .25 AMPS to 10 AMPS. 18AWG Current Capacity

I really doubt they will be drawing anywhere near 10 Amps.

You will be fine running your LED lights off any of the upfitter switches. I am going to use 4-6 to run my lighting.

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is definitely a short enough length, I guess I would just rather play it safe, although it is nice to keep as few wires littering the engine bay as possible and fewer potential failure points. Do you think long periods of use will increase risk of overheating the wire?
I do not think you will over heat the wire. I really feel you are over thinking this to much. Hook it up and run them for an hour, test the wire to see how much it heated up over the surrounding area.

Make sure you have a good solid connection, DO NOT USE BUTT SPLICES. A good connection is almost as important as the gauge of wire.

Use something like these to make your connections. They are water proof dust proof etc.

Solder Butt Splice

Axle Roads

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Let's think about this, Ford put an 18 gauge wire on a 10 amp line, and people are saying it is to small in their opinion. Well let's look at the Engineering side of things.

Depending on length of the run will determine the line loss. The longer distance the less current will make it. The shorter the distance the more will make it.

So an 18AWG wire can handle any where from .25 AMPS to 10 AMPS. 18AWG Current Capacity

I really doubt they will be drawing anywhere near 10 Amps.

You will be fine running your LED lights off any of the upfitter switches. I am going to use 4-6 to run my lighting.
Fair. I am definitely not a wiring expert and I know there’s people on here a lot smarter than I, that’s why I was curious what others thought. This is one of the many reasons why I love this forum.

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fair. I am definitely not a wiring expert and I know there’s people on here a lot smarter than I, that’s why I was curious what others thought. This is one of the many reasons why I love this forum.

Not busting on ya or anything. I have been working around electronics for 45 years now. I trust Ford to give us the correct wire size for the circuit.

Sometimes a real answer with sources is needed to help folks feel better about things.

Mike

Axle Roads

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do not think you will over heat the wire. I really feel you are over thinking this to much. Hook it up and run them for an hour, test the wire to see how much it heated up over the surrounding area.

Make sure you have a good solid connection, DO NOT USE BUTT SPLICES. A good connection is almost as important as the gauge of wire.

Use something like these to make your connections. They are water proof dust proof etc.

Solder Butt Splice
I have tried those and maybe I bought cheap Chinese ones but in my experience, using a heat gun specifically made for heat shrink, I ended up burning through the heat shrink by the time the solder melted. I will have to invest in better ones next time.
Not busting on ya or anything. I have been working around electronics for 45 years now. I trust Ford to give us the correct wire size for the circuit.

Sometimes a real answer with sources is needed to help folks feel better about things.

Mike
Absolutely and I appreciate you chiming in.

Sponsored

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have tried those and maybe I bought cheap Chinese ones but in my experience, using a heat gun specifically made for heat shrink, I ended up burning through the heat shrink by the time the solder melted. I will have to invest in better ones next time.
In my experience (with the Chinese amazon ones) you have to be SUPER patient and melt the solder over about 5 minutes in order to do it without burning/melting the heat shrink. Works great it you have an extra hour or so.. otherwise they can be frustrating

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use the Amazon solder butt connectors for a lot of things, and have not melted the heat shrink. It was not the set I linked to. I keep the heat source moving back and forth the entire time it takes. Here is the set I use I bought 2 sets at the time. Solder Butt Connector here is the heat gun I use Newer Model make sure to use the curved shield to keep the heat contained.

Axle Roads

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I use the Amazon solder butt connectors for a lot of things, and have not melted the heat shrink. It was not the set I linked to. I keep the heat source moving back and forth the entire time it takes. Here is the set I use I bought 2 sets at the time. Solder Butt Connector here is the heat gun I use Newer Model make sure to use the curved shield to keep the heat contained.
Thank you very much. I did use the curved heat shield, maybe it was my technique. I’ll have to practice a bit. The heat gun or wand I should say that I used had two settings, I could’ve use the wrong setting.

Axle Roads

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In my experience (with the Chinese amazon ones) you have to be SUPER patient and melt the solder over about 5 minutes in order to do it without burning/melting the heat shrink. Works great it you have an extra hour or so.. otherwise they can be frustrating
Can definitely be frustrating. Lol I usually buy quality components for my ride, but sometimes I cheap out on the little things like butt connectors. I should’ve known better.

SaudiBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti G37
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Two options.

If you pick the first option... make sure you pick an Aux line that is fused correctly for the lights—refer to your light's specifications and the Bronco's user manual.

Below is the light's specifications:

Ford Bronco Wiring help (Rigid D-SS Pro) for a 2021 wildtrack 1705146420186

So, I am assuming that the amp for both A-pillar lights is 7.72 (3.86 x 2 lights) which is less than 10 Amp that Aux 3-6 can handle. In this case, can I just use Option 1 to connect the red wire to any of the Aux 3-6?
Do I need to have a fuse somewhere? Or just direct wiring is fine?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored