Sponsored

Wiring Rock Slide steps into Aux Switches?

Rccoleman19

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak, 1996 Bronco XLT, 2010 F-150 sc
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Firstly im a long time reader of all these forums and am very thankful for everyone here. Without all the various questions and answers I’ve read on here I would have gone insane waiting for my bronco. I FINALLY received my 4 door Wildtrak (Luxury) after a 700+ day wait and now I can’t imagine life without my bronco.

Anyways, as my first mod purchase I chose to go with the Rock Slide Steps. I’m not an electrician but I am an engineer so I feel as though I can dance my way around most problems but I want to ensure I don’t mess my bronco up so here I am yet again seeking answers of my own this time. The rock slide steps come with a power toggle switch and also offer a door delete kit which can be seen here:

https://rockslideengineering.com/product/step-slider-door-delete-kit/

The price of this door delete kit (which I would need 2 sets of) is insane at $90 per and only comes with 2sets of wires and more toggle switches. The wires used in the door delete kit have molex ends and seem simple enough. Can I not just run my own 24 gauge wire to the aux switches already on the bronco to toggle power to the steps and also run some of the same wire to use a switch to act as my own door delete kit?

Can I not also run the power toggle to these switches too?

Molex connectors: https://www.amazon.com/Molex-Connec...cd-b79b-4f55da64b30f&pd_rd_i=B074M1RZHX&psc=1

Wire: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Y82NFV3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No. Aux switches have no power when ignition is off. They are dead switches until you start the Bronco.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The switches on the website look like cheap toggle switches to me.

Double check the amperage of the circuit, but barring that, yes. Absolutely no reason you cant.

It appears to just to just be a signal path instead of carrying any real current, so any upfitter switch will work more than likely.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No. Aux switches have no power when ignition is off. They are dead switches until you start the Bronco.
Wouldnt that just leave the step in whatever position it was in when the power was last on? I'm not familiar with these steps.

josh1121

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan XD Diesel 4x4, LandRover Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Also, I believe that you only need a single delete kit for the 4DR.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Rccoleman19

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So I would need to have an external toggle switch for power but for the door delete kits can I not just hook them up to the aux switches? I would only ever need these to work when the vehicle is running anyways?

OP
OP

Rccoleman19

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I would need to have an external toggle switch for power but for the door delete kits can I not just hook them up to the aux switches? I would only ever need these to work when the vehicle is running anyways?
No. With no power to the step it will unlock and spring return up. Those door delete switches they sell require you to wire in to +12v at all times. Aux switches do not have 12v when ignition is off.

josh1121

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The problem is that they will only work with the engine running (or on acc). Imagine walking up to the car in the morning. The step won't come down. They are actually powered directly from the battery for that reason. Trust me, I tried every combination to keep from adding a "cheap" switch to my 5 day old WT. Turns out it hides pretty well and I don't even notice it anymore a month later.

OP
OP

Rccoleman19

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No. With no power to the step it will unlock and spring return up. Those door delete switches they sell require you to wire in to +12v at all times. Aux switches do not have 12v when ignition is off.

Well that is disappointing.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Rccoleman19

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The problem is that they will only work with the engine running (or on acc). Imagine walking up to the car in the morning. The step won't come down. They are actually powered directly from the battery for that reason. Trust me, I tried every combination to keep from adding a "cheap" switch to my 5 day old WT. Turns out it hides pretty well and I don't even notice it anymore a month later.
Do you mind telling me where you put your switches? What you just stated is exactly what I was trying to avoid as well.

josh1121

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I put it in the recommended location under the dash. It is on the driver side nearest the door, but tucked under there on a bracket. The only thing I see is the light from the switch.

oh, and when the switch is off, it stay in it current position. I open the doors and shut off the switch then close the door when I need to clean them. They do not retract.

OP
OP

Rccoleman19

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I put it in the recommended location under the dash. It is on the driver side nearest the door, but tucked under there on a bracket. The only thing I see is the light from the switch.

oh, and when the switch is off, it stay in it current position. I open the doors and shut off the switch then close the door when I need to clean them. They do not retract.
Thank you for the advice!

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The installation manual states that for 4 door you will need 2 sets.

See page 18 of the installation manual: https://rockslideengineering.com/product/bronco-4-door-step-slider-2-box-set/
I have the RSE steps as well and I have a four door. I am not an electrician or an engineer and I installed my own, you will have no problem.

You do not need two door delete sets unless you planned on putting door delete buttons in the backseat as well which some advise against so passengers don't mess up the cycle and you wind up with your step getting jammed on a rock on the trails. So one set will take care of both front driver and passenger. Also, even if you have the doors off and have passengers in the back, you as the driver are more than likely going to be the one to push the button to deploy the stairs (on your side obviously). It could get confusing if you have four people trying to push buttons, especially if you have kids back there that don't listen. I take my doors off regularly and have yet to feel like shucks, I wish I had another set. Certainly your preference however.

By the way, depending on when you bought/ordered the steps, on the new main wiring harness, the one with the toggle power switch, they removed the third wire to the switch and therefore the button doesn't light up anymore which is nice because lit up it was pretty noticeable, now I forget it is even there (I had to switch out wiring harnesses about six months ago).
Lastly, if you run in to any snags, call their technical support, the guys there are very helpful with troubleshooting.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Rccoleman19

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just an update to those of you that might be considering the RSE steps for your bronco. I have had mine on for a few weeks now and let me tell you, its worth every penny.

However, there's a few things that I wish I had known. The first is installation, the videos are way better than the actual manual, but this is typically true of anything I imagine.

The most important thing that everyone should know that isn't listed on any of the videos or the manual (from what I can remember) is that the angle brackets that connect the step to the body/frame of the bronco are painted completely over, to include the threaded holes/welded nuts. Because of the threads being painted, the first step we installed was a real pain in the rear to get on as the bolts were very hard to get started. Before installing these, I HIGHLY recommend taking the brackets and running the bolts through them and back out to clear the paint. Otherwise you might be under there trying to fight the step to fit the body and thread each bolt at the same time.

Another good thing to know is that the welded nuts on the back side of the brackets are not welded on very well. I'm not a welder so what they have on there may be the best they can do but If you find yourself having to shift the brackets around with a screwdriver to align the holes make sure you do so lightly as these welded nuts are very easy to break off. Obviously this doesn't stop you from installing but it does make it take longer.

About a week after installation I was opening my door and heard a loud pop. I looked down and found a shear pin mangled on the ground. I got down to see where its home was and found the spring that they have under the driver side door and also on the passenger side door. This spring must be there to assist the motor in bringing the step back up. The step still worked fine after this broke but I had to tuck the spring assembly up into the body of the step more to keep it from falling out and catching the step. I called RSE and they were extremely helpful and sent me a full replacement step within a week and then paid for the shipping of the old step back. I will gladly do business with them again.
Sponsored