Sponsored

Would like to run USB power to inside 2022 Bronco door...

rstimson

Outer Banks
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks and a 2013 Ford C-Max
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey everyone, I would like to run USB power inside of the 2 front doors on my Bronco (behind the panel). Is this possible? Are there any free pins in the door connector that I could connect to and run the power? If there are, where can I get the power to connect to the pins?

thanks
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes there are empty pins on the door connector.

And you'll have to pull power from the battery and send it through a buck converter / voltage regulator. Everything in the Bronco is ~12 volts and you'll want 5 volts for USB power.

OP
OP

rstimson

Outer Banks
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes there are empty pins on the door connector.

And you'll have to pull power from the battery and send it through a buck converter / voltage regulator. Everything in the Bronco is ~12 volts and you'll want 5 volts for USB power.

Thanks! Do you know which pins are "open/available"?

OP
OP

rstimson

Outer Banks
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ok… so here is my next question… I have some custom USB powered lights that are attached on the doors interior that illuminate when the door is open (a magnet attached to the floor causes the light to turn off when the door is closed).

Is it acceptable to use a fuse jumper on the interior fuse box for the exterior mirror lights to power these door lights?

The fuse jumper only has the power wire come from it, so I would need to find ground in the door for the negative lead…

That way I am only running one wire to the two front doors.

sound like a good plan?

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok… so here is my next question… I have some custom USB powered lights that are attached on the doors interior that illuminate when the door is open (a magnet attached to the floor causes the light to turn off when the door is closed).

Is it acceptable to use a fuse jumper on the interior fuse box for the exterior mirror lights to power these door lights?

The fuse jumper only has the power wire come from it, so I would need to find ground in the door for the negative lead…

That way I am only running one wire to the two front doors.

sound like a good plan?
The lights on the mirror are fed directly from the DDM (Driver Door Module) and PDM (Passenger Door Module). You don't want to tap into those lines because if pull too much current or something goes wrong with your buck boost circuit you'll fry the entire module, and you lose all functionality on that particular door—windows, lights, blind spot, mirror heat, everything.

To do it correctly you'll want to either utilize a fuse that isn't in use on the fuse box, use an add-a-fuse, and/or run a seperate line from the battery with its own in-line fuse.
Sponsored

Last edited: