First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hey, I just received my Xpel Headlight kit, so hoping to apply them to the headlights in the next several days. So you took off the grill for better access to the headlights during installation, correct. Per Youtube, it looks like grill removal is easy, correct? Also, do you have stock driving/fog lights, and if so, did you get PPF covers for them? My Big Bend does, but I haven't located PPF kits.
The grill was easy to take off, mostly just plastic retaining clips (inside engine compartment) that are super easy to remove with a super small flat screwdriver and an Automotive Door Panel Plastic Fastener Clip Removal Tool. The hard part is prying the grill out from each side without scratching the vehicle's front fender paint. Get some practice of removing the fender flares after unlocking the speed clips a quarter turn to the left and you will get a feel of the pressure that it takes to pull apart the grill.

After that, you should do a decontamination stage to the headlights.
1- Wash Headlight
2-Dry headlight w/ microfiber towel
3- Spray Iron remover (Autoparts store) on headlight with towel catching the product dripping (Adams Polishes) has instructions on the website on use and removal.
4- Use an exterior detail spray to wipe off (Iron Remover from Adams instructions)
5- Clay bar headlight use detail spray to help glide the clay across surface
6- For Headlights that are fairly new like our bronco I would skip the mechanical buffing/polishing stage to keep the surface protection from the factory intact.
7- Use Adam's Surface Prep or make your own prep solution (70% iso Alcohol) mixed at a 1/3 ratio with "Distilled Water" in a spray bottle on the headlight to strip any waxes, oil, chemicals.
8- Use a slip solution (mix a couple of drops of baby shampoo with distilled water) refer to youtube video for mix ratio suggestions. and spray liberally on the headlight and then on the PPF adhesive side first and then on the non-adhesive side.
9- Lay the PPF over the headlight paying close attention to the line cut out in the PPF making sure that its lines are straight and positioned as best as possible using the blinker light as the most critical area to position it correctly and professionally.
10- For the rest please watch Youtube videos to get a better understanding before attempting any PPF install.
11- I have attached a photo of my Bronco Headling without grill so you can see the amount of space that it opens up for you and also the lines in the PPF if you have the Signature lights that is key in making sure is set right.

Bronco Headlight PPF Example.jpg
Sponsored

KANE COUNTY ILLINOIS

Big Bend
First Name
SAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC YUKON
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The grill was easy to take off, mostly just plastic retaining clips (inside engine compartment) that are super easy to remove with a super small flat screwdriver and an Automotive Door Panel Plastic Fastener Clip Removal Tool. The hard part is prying the grill out from each side without scratching the vehicle's front fender paint. Get some practice of removing the fender flares after unlocking the speed clips a quarter turn to the left and you will get a feel of the pressure that it takes to pull apart the grill.

1- Wash Headlight
3- Spray Iron remover (Autoparts store) on headlight with towel catching the product dripping (Adams Polishes) has instructions on the website on use and removal.
4- Use an exterior detail spray to wipe off (Iron Remover from Adams instructions)
6- For Headlights that are fairly new like our bronco I would skip the mechanical buffing/polishing stage to keep the surface protection from the factory intact.
7- Use Adam's Surface Prep or make your own prep solution (70% iso Alcohol) mixed at a 1/3 ratio with "Distilled Water" in a spray bottle on the headlight to strip any waxes, oil, chemicals.
8- Use a slip solution (mix a couple of drops of baby shampoo with distilled water) refer to youtube video for mix ratio suggestions. and spray liberally on the headlight and then on the PPF adhesive side first and then on the non-adhesive side.
9- Lay the PPF over the headlight paying close attention to the line cut out in the PPF making sure that its lines are straight and positioned as best as possible using the blinker light as the most critical area to position it correctly and professionally.
10- For the rest please watch Youtube videos to get a better understanding before attempting any PPF install.
11- I have attached a photo of my Bronco Headling without grill so you can see the amount of space that it opens up for you and also the lines in the PPF if you have the Signature lights that is key in making sure is set right.

Ford Bronco XPEL PPF film pre-cut kits now available for 2-door and 4-door Bronco Bronco Headlight PPF Example
WOW! Thank you for all that detailed info! I have Iron-X, the clay bar, alcohol solution, micro-fiber towels, and even a heat gun! Did you use heat to secure the edges of the PPF when finished? I've done my door sills and have watched a bunch of videos. I recently took off my wheel flares, so I have a little experience on removing a part without scratching the paint. I took off the flares to clean the dirt off between the flares and body panels, since I've heard that Jeeps get pebbles stuck in those certain spots, which cause scratches to the paint! Shortly, I will be in the garage installing the headlight kits! I also have ordered Xpel A-Pillar kit from DRIVEPROTECTED, which is relatively cheap, so that's an upcoming project! THANKS!

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
WOW! Thank you for all that detailed info! I have Iron-X, the clay bar, alcohol solution, micro-fiber towels, and even a heat gun! Did you use heat to secure the edges of the PPF when finished? I've done my door sills and have watched a bunch of videos. I recently took off my wheel flares, so I have a little experience on removing a part without scratching the paint. I took off the flares to clean the dirt off between the flares and body panels, since I've heard that Jeeps get pebbles stuck in those certain spots, which cause scratches to the paint! Shortly, I will be in the garage installing the headlight kits! I also have ordered Xpel A-Pillar kit from DRIVEPROTECTED, which is relatively cheap, so that's an upcoming project! THANKS!
Yes, a heat source will be needed to secure the edges, it took a bit of time massaging the firm to contur over the edges and of course using the tack solution to speed up adhesive on the edges (washing out the slip solution) once the main flat surfaces have bonded well. Took about 45-60 mins per light. Also check periodically after install to make sure no fingers lift.

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just to give people a heads up the DIY kits do not wrap around the edges and thus you will have dirt/grime build-up unless you call them and tell them to extend the edges by 1/4" or so. Also if your not a verifiable detail\Wrap business XPEL don't provide tips or tech support for us DIY. My advice is save a $1,000 if doing a full PPF Wrap and buy bulk. Meaning measure the pieces out and order a sheet large enough to cover that area. For instance the hood is 60in width and 4' length and costs $255. I am not sure how the body contours may affect the measurement yet, but in the next few weeks I will be able to provide my own experience with XPEL PPF. Watch a lot of YouTube PPF install videos.
Agree... pay for the extra 1/2" if going to use the precut. I've done small sections (inside lower door, tailgate top left corner) wrapping the edges. Plan to work my way up to larger sheets in the spring.

Sponsored

KANE COUNTY ILLINOIS

Big Bend
First Name
SAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC YUKON
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

1- Wash Headlight

Ford Bronco XPEL PPF film pre-cut kits now available for 2-door and 4-door Bronco Bronco Headlight PPF Example
QUESTION! I'm finally starting my headlight project and I'm already running into an issue! I removed two push-pin fasteners and they both are broken! What am I doing wrong? I purchased a trim removal kit for removing these types of fasteners. I see you said that you use a small screw driver, and I see that there's a small slot on the fasteners, so I take it that somehow you use the screw driver and the removal tool? I've seen youtube videos where they just pop them off. Since I have several off, I will order new fasteners from Amazon....they have a slew of fasteners for cheap, so I will order some as replacement!

KANE COUNTY ILLINOIS

Big Bend
First Name
SAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC YUKON
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
QUESTION! I'm finally starting my headlight project and I'm already running into an issue! I removed two push-pin fasteners and they both are broken! What am I doing wrong? I purchased a trim removal kit for removing these types of fasteners. I see you said that you use a small screw driver, and I see that there's a small slot on the fasteners, so I take it that somehow you use the screw driver and the removal tool? I've seen youtube videos where they just pop them off. Since I have several off, I will order new fasteners from Amazon....they have a slew of fasteners for cheap, so I will order some as replacement!
I figured it out!!!!!!!!! After examining my broken push-pin, I realized that you lift the top circular sleeve with the screw driver, then using your removal tool, lift up the push-pin! How easy!! HAPPY HOLIDAYS everyone!

KANE COUNTY ILLINOIS

Big Bend
First Name
SAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC YUKON
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I figured it out!!!!!!!!! After examining my broken push-pin, I realized that you lift the top circular sleeve with the screw driver, then using your removal tool, lift up the push-pin! How easy!! HAPPY HOLIDAYS everyone!
Anyone know where I can get two of the pins pictured? For my grill!

Bronco Grille Fastener.jpg

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yeah, so for the plastic fastner the small screw driver is more important because the larger surface head is very thin and weak. Get the screwdriver to find the best area to lift up the micro head over the surface face far enough that it almost is ready to detach. These clips are easily replaceable and can be replaced with a stronger design that Ford Parts may have on hand or Autoparts store. Or to keep it Original order new ones from FORD.

KANE COUNTY ILLINOIS

Big Bend
First Name
SAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC YUKON
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yeah, so for the plastic fastner the small screw driver is more important because the larger surface head is very thin and weak. Get the screwdriver to find the best area to lift up the micro head over the surface face far enough that it almost is ready to detach. These clips are easily replaceable and can be replaced with a stronger design that Ford Parts may have on hand or Autoparts store. Or to keep it Original order new ones from FORD.
Thanks!!

Sponsored

KANE COUNTY ILLINOIS

Big Bend
First Name
SAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC YUKON
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

1- Wash Headlight

Ford Bronco XPEL PPF film pre-cut kits now available for 2-door and 4-door Bronco Bronco Grille Fastener
Well, I applied one, and WOW, it must have taken an hour plus! Yikes! It wasn't perfect, but it will do for now. My problem was the my tac solution, it didn't work! I mixed a third of 91% isopropyl and 2/3 water. I had to unbox my heat gun during the middle of the installation! And the lighting will be better, too!

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Well, I applied one, and WOW, it must have taken an hour plus! Yikes! It wasn't perfect, but it will do for now. My problem was the my tac solution, it didn't work! I mixed a third of 91% isopropyl and 2/3 water. I had to unbox my heat gun during the middle of the installation! And the lighting will be better, too!
It is definitely not easy and the curves on the headlights make it hard for it to stick. The key is continuing massaging, using heat, and Rex solution at least at this point you are able to control getting as much moisture out. Also I did better on my second one and it looked better after 48hrs. Keep an eye on lifting for the first 24hrs.

KANE COUNTY ILLINOIS

Big Bend
First Name
SAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC YUKON
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It is definitely not easy and the curves on the headlights make it hard for it to stick. The key is continuing massaging, using heat, and Rex solution at least at this point you are able to control getting as much moisture out. Also I did better on my second one and it looked better after 48hrs. Keep an eye on lifting for the first 24hrs.
Yes, I'm hoping to do better on my second try! That was my first time using the heat gun, so I should do better, I hope!

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yes, I'm hoping to do better on my second try! That was my first time using the heat gun, so I should do better, I hope!
My came out well overall and is not noticeable unless your looking for it, which when doing the install yourself you will always know the flaws. Even pros say that there is no such thing as a flawless install of PPF, but with experience you can get pretty darn close.
Sponsored