First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So if I understand, (I really am a computer idiot and my old foggy brain has little ability to learn) I could get the ford performance tune installed, have someone use it to change tire size (when I go to 37s) and latter have someone use it program this steering rack (if/when the stock one fails)?
Sponsored

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Is ProCal the $500+ Ford performance software that means premium gasoline is required? I'm fine with my current performance, so no way I'm paying extra for ProCal, and then getting stuck paying extra (often a dollar more per gallon here in Chicagland) for premium fuel.

I work in IT and had no problem using Forscan to make changes to my Bronco. But FDRS requires a subscription/license or dealer to use?
the tune and fuel are an OPTION , meaning you can have either OEM tune or the Ford Performance tune. and switch back and forth...so your fuel statement is invalid , as you can run the OEM tune if you want. In fact, if that's the way you want to do things you can just buy the Pro Cal device by itself for even less money, without the tuner having access to the Bronco tune, thereby saving 300 more dollars approximately. call Ford performance for details.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So if I understand, (I really am a computer idiot and my old foggy brain has little ability to learn) I could get the ford performance tune installed, have someone use it to change tire size (when I go to 37s) and latter have someone use it program this steering rack (if/when the stock one fails)?
Yes.
The ProCal is super easy to use. You can apply the tune and tire size change yourself.
If the ProCal is programming the steering rack I'd hook up a battery charger in case it takes 20-30 minutes. You wouldn't want your car battery to die during the programming.

As for ProCal use. You create an account on FordPerformance website. You connect the ProCal to your windows computer. You follow the prompts to update the ProCal.
Unplug the ProCal from the computer and connect it to your Bronco. Follow the prompts on the ProCal to either install the performance tune or change the tire size.

People advise to create your own account on FordPerformance if you have a dealer install it. I'd guess most techs will use their own account or some dealer account. The ProCal is tied to your VIN forever, but I don't know if it's tied to a FordPerformance account. Most likely not, so I'm not sure if there is any benefit to having your own FordPerformance account if you're likely never to do any DIY.

Oh, and the ProCal doesn't need to be installed or continuously connected to the vehicle. There are some gauges it can display to help you troubleshoot, but I think it's ugly and there is no benefit to having it connected all the time.

Edit: @Oldhippie
The ProCal Performance Tune comes with a voucher that is tied to a Ford Performance account. If you're doing the Performance Tune, you'll want to create an account before the dealer installs the tune and you'll have to share the account login and password with the tech doing the install. You can change password afterwards.
Ford can make updates to the Performance Tune and you'll need access to the account that was used for the tune to get the updates.

Last edited:

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So @NORCALGXP HOSS 3.0 swap is finally done! And 4wp coilovers! And Spicer FDU! And I am sober so he got off with out having to beer me.

So the 2024 Wildtrak vin didn't have the PMI option in FDRS. After 30 minutes I decided to try a 2023 vin and poof we had a PMI option. Also had the fuel tank reset to 0 gallons and had to reset that with Forscan. Also got an under current on the front locker. Took off the plug and toned out the locker and got 8ohms on my meter. Plugged the locker back in and it works.

Pretty successful day! My work laptop is still having issues but I am not authorized to fix that lol.

Sponsored

Jms1

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So dumb question here. Is there a difference between the Ford Performance rack and the Hoss 3.0 rack (nb3z-3504-m) that is being ordered here? Also is there anyone in Oregon that could program a rack if needed?

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

how does that sucker compare with the oem m210, any thoughts?
Lot of money for a mild upgrade in center section strength. The 32 spline cv axles and intermediate shaft are absolutely awesome. Not sold on this being the best option, but if you junk your entire front end its not that much more money. You do go from mild sloppy stock cvs and loose fitting 29 spline connections to a much tighter fitting set-up. The whole spicer unit is tight, which doesn't seem like a big deal, but stock is awful.

We will see how long it lasts? @NORCALGXP hasn't wheeled since Thanksgiving so he might give it the beans!

Ford Bronco HOSS 3.0 severe duty STEERING RACK and TIE RODS ...Ford Performance M-3200-WT 1708983887847

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Good to hear about the tighter tolerances for that price. Sloppy tolerances can definitely be a big deal.

IwannaGOfast

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ranger Long Travel, 2014 Cruze Commuter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So dumb question here. Is there a difference between the Ford Performance rack and the Hoss 3.0 rack (nb3z-3504-m) that is being ordered here? Also is there anyone in Oregon that could program a rack if needed?
@BigMeatsBronco is in Oregon. He is the OP of this thread, and the one who helped make this upgrade possible.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The ProCal is tied to your VIN forever, but I don't know if it's tied to a FordPerformance account. Most likely not, so I'm not sure if there is any benefit to having your own FordPerformance account if you're likely never to do any DIY.
I can log into my Ford Performance account it it does show my ProCal license there. I can't really do much with it, but it's there.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'd be happy to program it for you. I'm in Salem.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can log into my Ford Performance account it it does show my ProCal license there. I can't really do much with it, but it's there.
That's why I'm thinking it might not be a big deal if you let the dealer use their account, especially if you never plan to DIY. I just don't know what would happen if you went to a different dealer using a different account to use the ProCal.
e.g.,
Dealer1 installs the ProCal performance tune with dealer/tech account. I move and for some hypothetical reason Dealer2 needs to re-install the tune. Dealer2 uses a different dealer/tech account.
I would assume this works, as I've not heard about any restrictions on transferring the ProCal along with the Bronco VIN it was originally setup with to a new owner.
The only restriction I'm aware of is transferring the ProCal to a new Bronco VIN, so don't forget to leave the ProCal in your Bronco when you sell it as it's worthless without the truck.

For a user who doesn't want to deal with more online accounts, I see no reason why you shouldn't feel comfortable to let the dealer/shop handle the entire process.
Just know that it is a simple upgrade if you already own a Windows PC and might not be worth the time time/hassle of bringing your Bronco into a shop to have it done.

Edit:
The ProCal Performance Tune comes with a voucher that is tied to a Ford Performance account. If you're doing the Performance Tune, you'll want to create an account before the dealer installs the tune and you'll have to share the account login and password with the tech doing the install. You can change password afterwards.
Ford can make updates to the Performance Tune and you'll need access to the account that was used for the tune to get the updates.

Last edited:

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That's why I'm thinking it might not be a big deal if you let the dealer use their account, especially if you never plan to DIY.
You arenā€™t wrong.

When ProCal has an update that has to reconnect to the computer it requires a log in there as well.

So yeah - you can get it installed, and you can tune / untune all you want with just the dongle after itā€™s done the first time

But you wonā€™t be able to get the updates. If that isnā€™t a big deal then thatā€™s fine. They do add things from time to time though.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You arenā€™t wrong.

When ProCal has an update that has to reconnect to the computer it requires a log in there as well.

So yeah - you can get it installed, and you can tune / untune all you want with just the dongle after itā€™s done the first time

But you wonā€™t be able to get the updates. If that isnā€™t a big deal then thatā€™s fine. They do add things from time to time though.
If you can't get updates, then that would be a big deal for me.
Couldn't you just create a new Ford Performance account to download the ProCal updates?
Sponsored