First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My biggest complaint (this week) is that the emergency brake is electromagnetic.. and fails into the on position, at that.

Losing your brakes is a lot less scary when you have a backup that you can modulate. As is, your options are to do what you did, or hit the e-brake and hold on for dear life. She's gonna buck!

Good thinking and glad you made it out alive.

sniffHound

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

What this guy said!

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My biggest complaint (this week) is that the emergency brake is electromagnetic.. and fails into the on position, at that.

Losing your brakes is a lot less scary when you have a backup that you can modulate. As is, your options are to do what you did, or hit the e-brake and hold on for dear life. She's gonna buck!

Good thinking and glad you made it out alive.
This was one of my biggest design gripes on the Bronco.
I know 'hill start assist, bla, bla, bla'.
I've always relied on a manual E brake when starting on steep inclines (I drove a manual in San Francisco for years) ...and in actual emergency's.
It's just so intuitive to grab that handle when a vehicle starts to roll inexpectedly. My wife's Land Rover doesn't have one either and it bugs the shit out of me. It just feels like somethings missing.

Glad the OP managed to stop safely and hope Ford looks hard into this.

Sponsored

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Read this. A real problem for the 2.3 group. Other issues are soft feel and long stopping distances.

Brakes Failed problem of the 2021 Ford Ranger

Failure Date: 03/11/2021
The contact owns a 2021 Ford Ranger. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, excessive effort was needed while depressing the brake pedal. There was no warning light illuminated. The contact took the vehicle to west herr Ford of hamburg (5025 camp rd, hamburg, NY 14075) where a service manager acknowledged the brake failure and stated that he would alert the manufacturer of the failure. The contact attempted to reach the manufacturer himself however, he was unsuccessful. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 50.

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So I almost died driving my 4 door Outer Banks on the freeway the other day. My wife and I were driving out to Hilton Head for a 10k. Everything was great until…Some jerk swerved in front of me to avoid being behind a semi truck chugging uphill.

This is where I almost died…
When I went to hit the brakes the pedal was impossible to press, the Bronco’s dashboard lit up saying something like brake error: check brake system. I luckily was able to slow down by using the manual shift selector on the side of the gear shift and basically standing on the brake pedal and immediately pulled over. I got out and checked the brakes after turning the car off and on. The brake pedal was now able to depress, but the brakes were super spongey. I drove to the closest Ford dealership and had them check it out. The tech came back after a few min and said it was a known issue with the Brake Vacuum and it has to come from Michigan.

This just happened so I’m getting more info as they can’t order the part until tomorrow, but I’ll update as I have more info.

I know 1st gen products have issues but this one is a really big problem. Good thing I wasn’t on the trail next to a cliff otherwise I wouldn’t be here.

Driving 70 mph on the freeway and you go to hit the brakes and there are none… scared the crap out of me. Driving a rental and now I have PTSD every time I brake.

Anyone else heard of this for the 4doors? I know the sport had a brake recall, but not 100% sure this is the same issue?
I'm glad you are okay. What exactly did they mean by "it's a known issue with the brake vacuum" ?

Sponsored

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model