Sponsored

2.3 MANUAL Bronco pull an Airstream Basecamp?

El Jefe Texas

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know if a 2.3 MANUAL Bronco can pull an Airstream Basecamp? Specs don't look like it, but I'm hoping I'm misunderstanding because I really want to buy a Basecamp and take it from Austin and across Colorado this summer... too heavy???
Sponsored

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
3500 lb tow limit.That's with all the gear, food,water,etc......

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Shaking my head

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Base weight 2,650. You'll be fine...

Neps

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5, Focus EV, F150, F350, Scout II (2)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can pull, or should pull?

Base Camp 16 has a GVWR of 3500 which is the limit for the Bronco, but the tongue weight is too much at 410 lbs. While the empty weight (2650) leaves some room for people and loading, it's not much.

You can do it, but you may not enjoy it. Based upon some of the posts here, you will most likely have some white knuckle moments.

Base Camp 20 is too heavy.

I too would really like to pick up a Base Camp 16, but the people I've talked to with extensive RV experience have all said it's not a good idea and some have said it would be downright unsafe. One dealer even said they would sell one to me if I just had the Bronco.

I'm patiently waiting to hear (see) if the the Bronco Raptor Trailer Hitch can be mounted (retrofit) to the standard Bronco models. The added capacity that the Braptor has would make the Base Camp 16 a viable option.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Can pull, or should pull?

Base Camp 16 has a GVWR of 3500 which is the limit for the Bronco, but the tongue weight is too much at 410 lbs. While the empty weight (2650) leaves some room for people and loading, it's not much.

You can do it, but you may not enjoy it. Based upon some of the posts here, you will most likely have some white knuckle moments.

Base Camp 20 is too heavy.

I too would really like to pick up a Base Camp 16, but the people I've talked to with extensive RV experience have all said it's not a good idea and some have said it would be downright unsafe. One dealer even said they would sell one to me if I just had the Bronco.

I'm patiently waiting the hear (see) if the the Bronco Raptor Trailer Hitch can be mounted (retrofit) to the standard Bronco models. The added capacity that the Braptor has would make the Base Camp 16 a viable option.
Those listed tongue weights always seem a little suspect to me. Is that empty? Loaded? Perfect weight distribution?

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can it pull it, yes, but "should" you pull one with your Bronco is the real question.

That will all depend on you. Your towing experience level and where you're planning on taking it to.

Yes @Ford Motor Company did set a Tow Limit and some people think that they were very conservatives with that number. Others feet that the number set is the "Max Safe" and nobody should ever consider exceeding it.

You will have to determine for yourself what You are comfortable with for the roads & distances that you plan to travel with something in tow.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I recently towed my 1,200lb trailer, 1,800lb side by side loaded w/ gear...very close to or just over the 3,500lb max capacity. No issue power wise but I had to position the side x side towards the rear of the trailer to reduce tongue weight. I'm not 100% sure what Ford lists for max tongue weight but I can't imagine it's over a couple hundred pounds.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I used to tow frequently with my past 2005 TJ Wrangler. I towed a Landscape Trailer and a boat. Loaded they were about 2500-3K. Sometimes the Landscape trailer was really loaded with rocks and a little more. I had to adjust the load so the tongue weight was not too heavy. (Loading things in the middle or back of the boat, same with the landscape trailer. As long as the tongue weight was addressed, it was never a problem. I had the 4.0 six though and 6 speed manual so I could pick the right gears. The Bronco has a lot more power with either the 2.3 or the 2.7. Just make sure the load is balanced and don't drive too crazy.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I recently towed my 1,200lb trailer, 1,800lb side by side loaded w/ gear...very close to or just over the 3,500lb max capacity. No issue power wise but I had to position the side x side towards the rear of the trailer to reduce tongue weight. I'm not 100% sure what Ford lists for max tongue weight but I can't imagine it's over a couple hundred pounds.
I'm not 100% sure where that's explicitly specified, but Ford's towing guides are peppered with tongue weight as 10% of gross trailer weight so I'd be shocked if it's not simply 1/10th of your listed tow capacity, meaning for you I believe somewhere around 330lbs. There is speculation that on this vehicle it's the max tongue weight that governed tow capacity and not the other way around.

Towing guides can be found here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not 100% sure where that's explicitly specified, but Ford's towing guides are peppered with tongue weight as 10% of gross trailer weight so I'd be shocked if it's not simply 1/10th of your listed tow capacity, meaning for you I believe somewhere around 330lbs. There is speculation that on this vehicle it's the max tongue weight that governed tow capacity and not the other way around.

Towing guides can be found here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/
Thanks for the info. Agreed, tongue weight is certainly a major factor with the Bronco whether it be 2.3 or 2.7...the suspension is just too soft. With my side x side fully forward on the trailer I was roughly 350lb tongue weight which severely squatted the rear of the Bronco to the point that handling most certainly would have been affected. Once I repositioned the SxS back about 12" I got the tongue weight down to roughly 250lb and all was good.

EDIT: I am using a 12" hitch extension to get out beyond the spare. W/O the hitch extension the 350lb tongue weight probably would have been fine.

Last edited:

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

A bunch of fraidy-cats on here.

Get a load balancing hitch, the Ford accessory brake controller (you'll need the factory option tow package), and manage the loaded weight and absolutely you can pull a Basecamp.

The 7MT manufacturer specs said you could tow up to something like 10000 lbs, so that isn't the limiting factor, nor is the 2.3 because the Ranger can tow more. So your rear springs and the hitch receiver itself are the limiters to 3500lbs.

Yeah - @El Jefe Texas - go right ahead with confidence.

Summit981

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman, MINI GP2, MINI Countryman
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

El Jefe, you ask a great question and some folks here have already provided good data. Let's recap and add one factor that hasn't been discussed:
  • Base Camp 16 (BC20 model weighs too much for the Bronco.)
    • Hitch Weight (w/LP Gas and batteries loaded): 410 lbs
    • Base Weight (w/LP Gas and batteries but no water, food, equipment): 2,585 lbs
    • Max Trailer Capacity (GWVR): 3,500 lbs
  • Bronco Badlands (2.3 engine / manual trans / tow package?)
    • Max Tongue Weight: 350 lbs
    • Max Loaded Trailer Weight: 3,500 lbs (assuming 2-door Badlands)(But only 3,320 lbs for the 4-door Badlands w/2.3 L motor!)
Factors not previously discussed above:
  • Destination / Travel Route: You mentioned you were driving from Texas "across Colorado" and back again. That means you will experience elevation changes. (e.g., Austin, TX is at 489 ft while Denver, CO is at 5,279 ft above sea level).
  • Ford states for the Bronco that 'Your vehicle may have reduced performance when operating at high altitudes and when heavily loaded or towing a trailer. While driving at elevation, in order to match driving performance as perceived at sea level, reduce GVWs and GCWs by 2% per 1,000 ft. elevation.' (Reference: https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../pdf/guides/21Towing_Ford_Bronco_r2_Jun24.pdf)
  • Weight of people/stuff to be loaded in the Bronco itself: Unknown. This too will add to the stress upon the engine / transmission.
  • Trailer Brake Controller Installed?
Based on this data, you're right at the max capacity for tow (and actually over on the truck's tongue weight) but towing up/down at Colorado's elevation is going to reduce your tow capacity even further. Conclusion: I would not recommend towing a Basecamp 16 trailer.

Last edited:

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just looked up the specs, Because it was the real limiting factor when I was looking at travel trailers to go behind my Gladiator.... Frontal Area is the real problem... The BEST with the Bronco is 30sqft...

The Base Camp has a frontal area over 50sqft..

Ford Bronco 2.3 MANUAL Bronco pull an Airstream Basecamp? 1652452999376

It's like having a drag parachute attached to the back, Although I'm sure the shape of the trailer helps some..

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
El Jefe, you ask a great question and some folks here have already provided good data. Let's recap and add one factor that hasn't been discussed:
  • Base Camp 16 (BC20 model weighs too much for the Bronco.)
    • Hitch Weight (w/LP Gas and batteries loaded): 410 lbs
    • Base Weight (w/LP Gas and batteries but no water, food, equipment): 2,585 lbs
    • Max Trailer Capacity (GWVR): 3,500 lbs
  • Bronco Badlands (2.3 engine / manual trans / tow package?)
    • Max Tongue Weight: 350 lbs
    • Max Loaded Trailer Weight: 3,500 lbs (assuming 4-door Badlands)(But only 3,320 lbs for the 4-door Badlands w/2.3 L motor!)
Factors not previously discussed above:
  • Destination / Travel Route: You mentioned you were driving from Texas "across Colorado" and back again. That means you will experience elevation changes. (e.g., Austin, TX is at 489 ft while Denver, CO is at 5,279 ft above sea level).
  • Ford states for the Bronco that 'Your vehicle may have reduced performance when operating at high altitudes and when heavily loaded or towing a trailer. While driving at elevation, in order to match driving performance as perceived at sea level, reduce GVWs and GCWs by 2% per 1,000 ft. elevation.' (Reference: https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../pdf/guides/21Towing_Ford_Bronco_r2_Jun24.pdf)
  • Weight of people/stuff to be loaded in the Bronco itself: Unknown. This too will add to the stress upon the engine / transmission.
  • Trailer Brake Controller Installed?
Based on this data, you're right at the max capacity for tow (and actually over on the truck's tongue weight) but towing up/down at Colorado's elevation is going to reduce your tow capacity even further. Conclusion: I would not recommend towing a Basecamp 16 trailer.
Another factor not previously discussed that will affect handling/capacity...are you using a hitch extension to get out beyond the spare? This will compound the tongue weight issue.
Sponsored