First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is in mine. When I am in 3H and select Sport it auto engages 4A. I have the advanced 4wd if that makes a differeence
Yeah you can just select 2H again. 2h isn't disabled, it just isn't the default option for sport.

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After driving in 4A, I detect a burning smell; also, there's a noticeable drag on the driveline while in 4A, which one can feel while driving (more throttle input to get/keep going) - switching back to 2H regains a detectable "spring in the steps" for the Bronco.

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
But as soon as you sect Sport you will be back in 4A. Why Sport is disabled in 2H is a question that will never have a decent answer other than they (Ford) do not want anyone leaving a pavement stripe (just one unless you can lock your rear diff in 2H or transition from reverse into forward at full throttle)
Yet in a Bronco Raptor when you select Sport it stays in 2A. Why is 2A okay in sport on a Bronco Raptor but not the rest of the Broncos?

Sponsored

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
‘22 Badlands, and in 4A …I can feel that this drives much more like my ‘87 Ranger in 4WD, compared to both my ‘12 F150 and ‘16 Navigator in 4A. I’ve switched between 4H and 4A and it feels identical to each other, can feel it in the steering wheel. I only brought up the bar gauge after something didn’t feel right about this 4A, and gauge indicated what I was feeling. I will be taking it to the dealership for them to check out.
Love the Bronco overall, but 4A to this point has been my only disappointment.
4A and 4H feel totally different in my Bronco Raptor unless going straight. 4A it drives just like 2H. I can turn as tight as I want in 4A, forward and reverse just like 2H. Put it in 4H, you can feel the driveline binding on turns both forward and reverse.

Huge difference between the two.

mere44. Thank you for posting that. That shows the difference between 4A and 4H is pretty much as I though. Shows why it turns with no binding on drive pavement in 4A but binds in 4H

Last edited:
OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks all. Confident in my slippery selection during bad weather.

Sounds like Ford needs to edit their owners manual to remove that warning for all 4A situations.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yet in a Bronco Raptor when you select Sport it stays in 2A. Why is 2A okay in sport on a Bronco Raptor but not the rest of the Broncos?
That’s just what it defaults too. Nobody said it wasn’t okay.
If it wasn’t okay they wouldn’t allow you to switch to 2H in sport.

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think 4A is exactly what you thought - somewhat as you stated folks maybe mis-simplified it if you will.

4A relies on dozens of sensors and inputs in the vehicle to determine the torque split between front and rear axles required to provide the best traction in a situation. It makes these decisions in milliseconds.

For your scenario - you told the Bronco you intended to drive the Bronco and drive it spiritedly in Sport mode. It is going to proactively enter 4A and split the power in anticipating for hearty throttle input that could cause the rear wheels to lose traction.

AzGoat

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I put my goat into Slippery mode, it goes into 4a.
According to the manual, Slippery mode defaults to 4H, not 4A. To use Slippery on the pavement, you would want to switch to 4A. The manual correctly states that Slippery mode is not for pavement, but would be after a change to 4A. That's my understanding so far.

Sponsored

MNbronco

Wildtrak
First Name
RC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Tremor, 2021 Bronco sport
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

According to the manual, Slippery mode defaults to 4H, not 4A. To use Slippery on the pavement, you would want to switch to 4A. The manual correctly states that Slippery mode is not for pavement, but would be after a change to 4A. That's my understanding so far.
with advanced transfer case, slippery defaults to 4A

AzGoat

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1adam12

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've been off roading over 30 years and have lived by one hard and fast rule, "If it hops, it stops." If you're in 4A and there's no hopping or binding then its fine. If you're turning and there's no resistance in the wheel you're fine. If any of these things do happen, STOP, put it in 2WD, or the vehicle will stop for you. That's just how I've always done it and its never failed, but, I still roll back a few feet after coming out of 4WD too. As far as being in AWD at freeway speeds, Ford says you can do it, but if you're out of warranty they're most likely going to replace that transfer case if it does go out.

PaulMedik

Raptor
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.valleysportspics.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Big Bend, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Over the last couple years there has been several discussions about 4A, along with all the "rules" about using 4x4 in high traction environments (like the street).

I've even contributed to multiple threats about 4A where the thought process was that it's in two-wheel drive unless it's senses slippage and then it kicks into 4 wheel drive.

This is not the case and Ford has seemed to have reinvented physics :)

All of us that have SPORT mode know that 4A engages with this GOAT and it is specifically designed for the street. Now that goes against the "No 4x4 on street" rule. However with the mentality that the 4A/4H doesn't kick in until it needs to, it should not be an issue.

Well I've been playing around with 4A and watching the "power distribution" and a bunch of us, including myself, we're wrong with our assumptions.

4A basically has the vehicle in 4x4 mode pretty much the entire time. There are some inconsistencies, but the only time that I've seen it NOT applying power to all wheels is when off the throttle, or I think, if you have the steering significantly turned BEFORE applying throttle.

To give you some examples, going 75 mph down the freeway and giving it some throttle = 4 wheel drive

Throttling while going through twisty turns on a mountain road = 4 wheel drive.

To me the scariest.... Doing a U-turn at a light (which requires throttle) = 4 wheel drive.

Like I said, there have been a couple of situations when I was testing, and if I turn the steering wheel significantly Before applying the throttle, it seems = 2 wheel drive.

I don't get me wrong, I love the feel of basically AWD... It's been storming (rain) all week where I live, and in 4A, the Bronco has been planted and not a single wheel slip.

I just hope Ford design this correctly and taking windy roads in sports mode isn't going to break something.

I used Sport mode a lot with my Big Bend and WildTrak and I would switch to 2H after switching to Sport because I felt it binding on dry pavement in turns. My Raptor does not switch to 4A in Sport Mode.
Sponsored