Akagranola

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Okay, hear me out. I can drive a manual and have driven the occasional 4x4 vehicle growing up in rural Georgia. No big deal. BUT- I didn’t even know that an “automatic on-demand” 4x4 system was even an option in a vehicle until I started researching the bronco…

When, exactly, does this come in handy? Is this meant for, say, highway driving in heavy rain/snow?

Hi speeds or low speeds? Or is this something you engage on a backroad? What makes this different from AWD?

What are my options here??:ROFLMAO:
Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
When, exactly, does this come in handy? Is this meant for, say, highway driving in heavy rain/snow? Hi speeds or low speeds? Or is this something you engage on a backroad? What makes this different from AWD?
It comes in handy when your driving under a certain speed and need to switch into 4wd or 4 auto. Lower speed under what I think 20 MPH. You can engage it anywhere. Awd is there all the time. When cruising, AWD disconnects the unnecessary 2 wheels. The torque on demand has 4lo and 4hi and 2hi on top of 4auto (AWD)

Mango&Moose

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion xB / Toyota Sienna. RIP my 96 Ranger Splash
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So you can hit the buttons (4A and 2H) while in motion?

What features do you need to be stopped and shift to neutral?

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Neutral for going into or out of 4L. The dash will tell you.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

into and out of 4LO.

Sponsored

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Okay, hear me out. I can drive a manual and have driven the occasional 4x4 vehicle growing up in rural Georgia. No big deal. BUT- I didn’t even know that an “automatic on-demand” 4x4 system was even an option in a vehicle until I started researching the bronco…

When, exactly, does this come in handy? Is this meant for, say, highway driving in heavy rain/snow?

Hi speeds or low speeds? Or is this something you engage on a backroad? What makes this different from AWD?

4A paved/improved roads (can be turn on all the time regardless of road conditions turn on and forget about it)

4hi/4lo off road.

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You might get slightly better fuel economy in 2H - not entirely sure. Either way, 4A is made for full time use.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

When in doubt, use the search function.

There was an awesome article which covers the various types/styles of AWD/4WD, and also specifically covers Bronco's system.

https://www.bronco6g.com/how-awd-works-includes-fords-4a-system/

Sponsored

DesertEagle1776

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old-Timey Bicycle
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Essentially 4wd is locked between the front and back wheels which could cause binding in the drivetrain and other components on high traction roads. 4A is different because it's mostly in 2wd until the computer system senses slipping of the tires. It then uses clutch plates in the transfer case to engage the front wheels in that moment. This is great if you are on a road that is mostly high friction, like driving on semi snowy roads, rain, or mixed conditions. When you turn, it won't bind up the drivetrain.
So the difference is in the transfer case functions: 4wd = locked. 4A = clutch plates engaged as needed.

OP
OP
Akagranola

Akagranola

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Essentially 4wd is locked between the front and back wheels which could cause binding in the drivetrain and other components on high traction roads. 4A is different because it's mostly in 2wd until the computer system senses slipping of the tires. It then uses clutch plates in the transfer case to engage the front wheels in that moment. This is great if you are on a road that is mostly high friction, like driving on semi snowy roads, rain, or mixed conditions. When you turn, it won't bind up the drivetrain.
So the difference is in the transfer case functions: 4wd = locked. 4A = clutch plates engaged as needed.

Excellent info thank you

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you enable the Power Distribution visual on your dash, you can see when power is applied to 2 wheels vs. 4 wheels. I find that 4A engages all 4 wheels at all times of acceleration and cornering. If you're just maintaining freeway speed, power will only be applied to the rear wheels. Give it the slightest touch on the accelerator though and all 4 wheels engage.

4A can be used all the time and at all speeds, and I often forget it on, however, I do try to use it only when roads are wet or if I'm in Sport mode. You can engage and disengage 4A at any speed.

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you enable the Power Distribution visual on your dash, you can see when power is applied to 2 wheels vs. 4 wheels. I find that 4A engages all 4 wheels at all times of acceleration and cornering. If you're just maintaining freeway speed, power will only be applied to the rear wheels. Give it the slightest touch on the accelerator though and all 4 wheels engage.

4A can be used all the time and at all speeds, and I often forget it on, however, I do try to use it only when roads are wet or if I'm in Sport mode. You can engage and disengage 4A at any speed.
Do you notice any difference in fuel economy?

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You might get slightly better fuel economy in 2H - not entirely sure. Either way, 4A is made for full time use.
On long trips I see little difference but if any 4A gets me slightly better mpg than 2H. Has to be something with pushing or pulling up a mountain or around a curve at speed.

And if you, like I, want to use Sport mode often, then waiting for vehicle to shift from 2H to 4A (only option with Sport) is not in the cards
Sponsored