Sponsored

Without advanced 4x4 option, will I be able to shift in and out of 4 wheel drive at speed?

LMB

Black Diamond
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 F250 Superduty 2016 Jeep Wrangler 2door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My current 2 vehicles, 2000 F250 and 2016 Jeep JK, both have the transfer case shifter on the floor. In the winter when the roads get bad, I just shift into and out of 4 wheel drive a road conditions change. I have been doing this for many years (since early 70's) in all my trucks and it is habit.
If I do not order the advanced 4x4 option, will I be able to shift in and out of 4 wheel drive at speed like I do now with the dial type shifter in the new Bronco?
Other than making the Bronco work similar to the the AWD vehicles my wife drives, does it have any other benefits?
Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My current 2 vehicles, 2000 F250 and 2016 Jeep JK, both have the transfer case shifter on the floor. In the winter when the roads get bad, I just shift into and out of 4 wheel drive a road conditions change. I have been doing this for many years (since early 70's) in all my trucks and it is habit.
If I do not order the advanced 4x4 option, will I be able to shift in and out of 4 wheel drive at speed like I do now with the dial type shifter in the new Bronco?
Other than making the Bronco work similar to the the AWD vehicles my wife drives, does it have any other benefits?
There were about 3 threads on the topic of the advanced transfer case operation in the past week. Links where shared there with the full detail of how both function.

I encourage you to give a little look around, especially the search function, the answer is out there.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
No, no, advanced 4wd is nothing like AWD. A true AWD vehicle is proactive, the auto 4wd in the Bronco is reactive.

Yes it can be shifted on the fly, auto 4wd should be fine in any condition as it doesn’t engage the front wheels until it detects slippage on the rear.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Allow myself to correct myself.

There was a thread on this very topic started this morning.

(Note that threads on the same overarching topic are valuable in a forum setting as you will find other answers on the topic there)

Ford Bronco Without advanced 4x4 option, will I be able to shift in and out of 4 wheel drive at speed? 1613176715734

1st4rd

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crosstrek, Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There were about 3 threads on the topic of the advanced transfer case operation in the past week. Links where shared there with the full detail of how both function.

I encourage you to give a little look around, especially the search function, the answer is out there.
Keep up the good fight - We are all counting on you!

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Keep up the good fight - We are all counting on you!
Admin don't care except to tell users to be polite and answer the question. It's a losing fight, like trying to keep a yawn in, yet i'll give it a shot whenever it seems reasonable.

I've got a really great feeling about folks using the search function more with Bronco forums than Ranger forums anyway!

good feeling i'll get banned because this shit is getting out of hand quickly

OP
OP

LMB

Black Diamond
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

No, no, advanced 4wd is nothing like AWD. A true AWD vehicle is proactive, the auto 4wd in the Bronco is reactive.

Yes it can be shifted on the fly, auto 4wd should be fine in any condition as it doesn’t engage the front wheels until it detects slippage on the rear.

I have read the other threads, I understand how the advanced 4X4 works. I am sorry I simplified it to be like AWD.

What I could not pick out of the other threads is how do I shift into at out of 4 wheel drive when moving if The Bronco does not have the advanced system. Is there just a switch, button, what ever that I actuate when any time I want or do I have to mess with the Goat modes?

Since I am used to doing it the old fashioned way, Is there any other reason I should be considering spending the extra money on it?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have read the other threads, I understand how the advanced 4X4 works. I am sorry I simplified it to be like AWD.

What I could not pick out of the other threads is how do I shift into at out of 4 wheel drive when moving if The Bronco does not have the advanced system. Is there just a switch, button, what ever that I actuate when any time I want or do I have to mess with the Goat modes?

Since I am used to doing it the old fashioned way, Is there any other reason I should be considering spending the extra money on it?
Post 25 in that thread had the link which will tell you how both of the transfer cases work in operation, their effective speed of engagement (if allowed for the setting you want).

I'm an old school guy myself when it comes to cars, Reading about how each of them work will be a lot more beneficial to you than a simple yes/no as it's not quite so simple anymore!

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/are-you-choosing-advance-4x4.12617/page-2#post-460866

Ford Bronco Without advanced 4x4 option, will I be able to shift in and out of 4 wheel drive at speed? 1613177278738

Note: I say all this because i've read the F150 pages on this very subject. Their forums are full of total BS conjecture and people anecdotally talking out their asses about MPG, or making up what these things actually do.

RockChalk7KC

Badlands
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

If you opt out of the advanced 4x4, you'll only have the option for 4H and 4L. You'll manually shift (with a dial). The advanced system introduces 4A, and the vehicle can automatically shift depending on the drive mode you select. 4A can be driven on any surface without damaging the drivetrain.

OP
OP

LMB

Black Diamond
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Post 25 in that thread had the link which will tell you how both of the transfer cases work in operation, their effective speed of engagement (if allowed for the setting you want).

I'm an old school guy myself when it comes to cars, Reading about how each of them work will be a lot more beneficial to you than a simple yes/no as it's not quite so simple anymore!

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/are-you-choosing-advance-4x4.12617/page-2#post-460866

Ford Bronco Without advanced 4x4 option, will I be able to shift in and out of 4 wheel drive at speed? 1613177278738

Note: I say all this because i've read the F150 pages on this very subject. Their forums are full of total BS conjecture and people anecdotally talking out their asses about MPG, or making up what these things actually do.
Thank you. I did miss this link when researching. Lot of info there that does answer my question. It also made me unsure of my decision not to spend the money.

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base

I think it’s need is up to the individual, my current truck has true AWD with a lockable center.
My previous truck has the exact same system as the “advanced 4wd” - the name is a misnomer it’s been around for at least 20 years now, not exactly advanced.
It’s very nice to have the auto 4wd on a long truck where the rear end has little weight and is subject to break loose on take-offs. With that said, on the much shorter wheelbase Bronco I wouldn’t personally pay extra for it as regular 4wd will be fine for my needs.

And yes you can shift into 4wd at any speed.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep. If you go with the standard transfer case it will be exactly like your Jeep, 2H, 4H and 4L.

It works just like you’re used to, the only difference is instead of big lever you pull, it’ll be the little dial/push button. Push it and the change in the case will happen electronically.

The 4A case just makes the change from 2H to 4H automatically on the fly incredibly quickly (and allows for a certain amount of slippage since it’s a clutch pack and not fully locked).
Sponsored