7-speed shift pattern

evoaire

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maybe a bronco
So if the 7-speed is indeed a real thing, with a very low first gear, how would the shift pattern go. I picture it like this, daily driving would be just like a 6-speed but you could rock between “low” and “reverse” easily because they’d be across from each other. It would also be a bit hard to shift over to that side like how reverse is in most cars where you really have to force it over. What do y’all think?

54C9F312-F26F-45E9-BF31-E8629D736812.jpeg
This all day. Working a rut, or needing to switch lines, having that R straight down from L would be EPIC.
Personally I would not switch these two, it’s not natural having the R on a forward push to go backwards, plays with mind.

Advertisement

Last edited:

wvmtneer

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F-150
This all day. Working a rut, or needing to switch lines, having that R straight down from L would be EPIC.
Personally I would not switch these two, it’s not natural having the R on a forward push to go backwards, plays with mind.
My mustang has R at top left (i actually like it there), but you have to lift a collar on the shifter to get into R.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / 00 TJ
Since the Low gear is an option on the transmission, I am thinking low in bottom left is most likely. The transmission without an optional Low gear would have a normal six speed shift pattern. With the Low gear would have a logical up and right shift movement to go from Low to 1.

So the only remaining question is Top Left, or Lower Right for Reverse. I agree Top Left would be more convenient when maneuvering back and forth on the trail or in the parking lot.

First Name
Anthony
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Jeep Renegade, 20' Jeep Wrangler, 92' VW GTI, 16' Indian Scout
In terms of shifting pattern, having L in lower left would make more sense in transitioning from L to 1st. You could shift faster having a jog vs a down over up pattern. It would equate going from 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 5th vs. 1st to 3rd or 3rd to 5th.
I could see times where you'd want/need to go from L to 1st quickly and seemlessly.