Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
But really it's no different than 2H, it only engages when needed, if ever.
Absolutely 100% false. It engages by default from a stop. Over and over again in slippery situations where I'd be one-wheel-peeling with the rear end swinging out wildly if I was in 2H, with 4A it just accelerates through the turn with zero hiccups and zero drama.
Sponsored

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Absolutely 100% false. It engages by default from a stop. Over and over again in slippery situations where I'd be one-wheel-peeling with the rear end swinging out wildly if I was in 2H, with 4A it just accelerates through the turn with zero hiccups and zero drama.
hmm. I don't think so...

https://4wheeldriveguide.com/how-does-4-wheel-drive-auto-work-explained/

How does 4-Wheel Drive Auto work? 4-wheel drive auto functions by sending power only to the rear wheels until traction is lost.

https://www.liveabout.com/what-does...is a full,slipping wheel activates the system.

Automatic 4WD is a full-time system that lets the vehicle operate in 2WD (either front or rear) until the system judges that 4WD or AWD is needed. It then automatically routes power to all four wheels, varying the ratio between front and rear axles as necessary.

that's just 2 articles I quickly pulled up.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Aww man, we actually made it pretty far into this 4A discussion before the first "I'm a big manly man that can fiddle with a knob" comment.

edit: A a second one comes in right before my post went though!
Not at all what my comment means. I couldn't care less how anyone uses their 4x4 or how manly I seem. I even said I would consider it. :unsure:

I'm just cheap and I, personally, don't have the want/need for it. Simple as that. That was the question, right?

I'm not sure why fiddling with a knob for 4x4 would seem any more manly than advanced 4x4 anyway. They're both just electronics. One you may just fiddle with a bit more.

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those who are going to use their low range, the advanced 4WD system transfer case has a better reduction of 3.06:1 versus the Standard part time 4WD which has a reduction of 2.72:1. Something to keep in mind.

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I ordered SAS so I'm getting it! I would of ordered it either way though! I like having the option of 4A. My hummer was like that I got alot of places just using that!

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
hmm. I don't think so...
Yes, you're reading generic articles written about no vehicle in particular. I've watched the actual pulsewidth signal in real time as my F-150 distributes power through the 4A transfer case.

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not at all what my comment means. I couldn't care less how anyone uses their 4x4 or how manly I seem. I even said I would consider it. :unsure:

I'm just cheap and I, personally, don't have the want/need for it. Simple as that. That was the question, right?

I'm not sure why fiddling with a knob for 4x4 would seem any more manly than advanced 4x4 anyway. They're both just electronics. One you may just fiddle with a bit more.
Exactly. A manly man would get a vehicle that requires getting out to lock the hubs. Nothing better than the experience of having to get out of the vehicle in the cold wind, mud, while in a precarious situation, so that you can lock the hubs then get back in and push the 4x4 lever back and forth until you can get it into 4x4. Anything less and you are a pansy who isn't getting the true 4x4 experience. I should know. I'm a former gen 1 owner. Will the aftermarket have mods that will let me go old school? :)

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My build comes with it so yes I'm getting it. But for the people to say its the same as just turning the knob, that's obviously false. Its very similar but not nearly as good.

In winter conditions the roads are often completely dry in some places and iced up in others. Its real nice to have that A4x4 then. Flipping a knob after you start going sideways isn't the best...

Also someone has stated it possibly starts in 4x4 from a stop. Which would help acceleration and tire wear. That's a win.

Plus the better gear reduction... it seems like the benefits are worth the cost to me.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
hmm. I don't think so...

How does 4-Wheel Drive Auto work? 4-wheel drive auto functions by sending power only to the rear wheels until traction is lost.

https://www.liveabout.com/what-does-four-wheel-drive-mean-3179#:~:text=Automatic 4WD is a full,slipping wheel activates the system.

Automatic 4WD is a full-time system that lets the vehicle operate in 2WD (either front or rear) until the system judges that 4WD or AWD is needed. It then automatically routes power to all four wheels, varying the ratio between front and rear axles as necessary.

You kinda left out an important part:

"Once the sensors detect that there is a difference in rotational speed, usually when traction is lost, one or more wheels will spin faster, it immediately engages 4-Wheel Drive. This is achieved in a matter of split seconds and hardly noticeable to the driver"

I would add that it isn't noticeable by the driver.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Just curious who is going with the advance 4x4 option if your build doesn't already come with it.

I was on the fence. My current Grand Cherokee is essentially the same thing. Full time AWD with Selec-trac. Which is selectable terrain modes just like G.O.A.T modes. After owning it for a year and a half I finally got to experience the benefits of it. We had a decent snowfall overnight and roads were pretty crappy when I went out this AM. Made it through every situation without ever losing traction. I even tried to make it slip and couldn't. No need to slow down and disengage when the roads were clear. So I'm pretty sure I'm going with Advance 4x4 on my Bronco.
Dear OP, This would be another great thread to provide the detailed information about what the 4A transmission does and how it varies from the standard RWD transmission Bronco will have without it.

https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/understanding-the-4wd-in-your-ford/

People have expressed confusion as to what the "Advanced" transmission is or what it does. Having this info up will slowly sink into those who choose to research the matter.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
hmm. I don't think so...

https://www.liveabout.com/what-does-four-wheel-drive-mean-3179#:~:text=Automatic 4WD is a full,slipping wheel activates the system.

You kinda left out an important part:

"Once the sensors detect that there is a difference in rotational speed, usually when traction is lost, one or more wheels will spin faster, it immediately engages 4-Wheel Drive. This is achieved in a matter of split seconds and hardly noticeable to the driver"

I would add that it isn't noticeable by the driver.
The detailed information is obviously difficult to find and few on the bronco forums (and NONE on the F150 forums, it seems) have any idea what the real differences are....

I'll link the info again for you guys.

https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/understanding-the-4wd-in-your-ford/

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My build comes with it so yes I'm getting it. But for the people to say its the same as just turning the knob, that's obviously false. Its very similar but not nearly as good.

In winter conditions the roads are often completely dry in some places and iced up in others. Its real nice to have that A4x4 then. Flipping a knob after you start going sideways isn't the best...

Also someone has stated it possibly starts in 4x4 from a stop. Which would help acceleration and tire wear. That's a win.

Plus the better gear reduction... it seems like the benefits are worth the cost to me.
I can't confirm 4A "starts" in 4WD in these. But when I had 4A in my 1/2 ton Chevys, pulling out into traffic in the rain was awesome, and very handy in the PNW. It would start in 2WD, and kick into 4 without the driver ever feeling a slip. Probably the biggest thing/only thing I miss from the 1/2 gasser vs my DD 1 ton diesel.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The detailed information is obviously difficult to find and few on the bronco forums (and NONE on the F150 forums, it seems) have any idea what the real differences are....

I'll link the info again for you guys.

But we were discussing the Jeep system. I guess Ford's is similar but but I only have experience with the Jeep and Audi systems so can't speak from actual driving experience with the Ford. But I know enough that it was a go/ no-go on my build.
I'm pretty sure we agree it's (Auto 4x4 by any company) a fantastic system.

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Would have loved to get it, but not in the budget :-(
Only way to get on lower trims is to go Sasquatch.
I guess I'll just have to "drive carefully" or some BS like that...

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Would have loved to get it, but not in the budget :-(
Only way to get on lower trims is to go Sasquatch.
I guess I'll just have to "drive carefully" or some BS like that...
Drive fast, take chances! No chance you make it out of life alive. Zero!
Sponsored