First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Not the same as a CVT trans if that's what you are thinking. It means that where 4H is fully locked into 4WD, 4A has a clutch so it can be partially engaged and engaged while moving up to 50MPH I think. So what it means is that it can feed in some or all of the front axle as needed and disengage and you'll never notice and won't have to come to a complete stop to switch.
Honda AWD uses clutch packs to send power to the rear wheels (it is a FWD biased system).

Just an FYI, you already don't need to come to a complete stop to switch into 4H. I also do not believe that the F150 manual states a speed at which you can switch into and out of 4H (my Nissan did note a maximum speed to shift of 60mph). 4A may be different with its limitations but your statement suggests that 4A is better than 4H because it can be activated at speed.

I want it for the highway drive on days where there are patches of ice/snow and stretches of dry pavement in between. 2 speed cases are fine but if it's in auto mode don't have to think about it ahead of time.
See, I think that is part of the problem these days. Too many "features" that lead to people not paying enough attention to their surroundings (not saying you specifically, just people in general). I also think that it leads to people not realizing how bad the roads are because they just leave it in 4A all winter.

Is the 4A system what allows the brake turn (no idea what it's called) for sharp turns on trails where it drags the inside rear tire? I could see that as a benefit and possibly the one reason I would consider the system. Just not sure I'd ever bother using it on road (even in patchy snow/ice situations since I find 2wd usually works just fine for me in those cases..).
Sponsored

Delasangre

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Honda AWD uses clutch packs to send power to the rear wheels (it is a FWD biased system).

Just an FYI, you already don't need to come to a complete stop to switch into 4H. I also do not believe that the F150 manual states a speed at which you can switch into and out of 4H (my Nissan did note a maximum speed to shift of 60mph). 4A may be different with its limitations but your statement suggests that 4A is better than 4H because it can be activated at speed.
Hmm, forgive me I haven't owned any brand new trucks with the latest tech. Im used to stuff from the 70's and 80's where you come to a stop, yank up hard on a big lever on the floor and then continue on. Back when truck were all steel ;)

elseminoleguapo

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

From the threads I've read through, it seem like most are touting its usefulness for snowy areas. I'm in South FL, so no need there. What about for driving and keeping traction in rainy conditions, is the 4A of use there?

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
From the threads I've read through, it seem like most are touting its usefulness for snowy areas. I'm in South FL, so no need there. What about for driving and keeping traction in rainy conditions, is the 4A of use there?
Anywhere the tires might lose and gain traction faster than you can react to it will be helped by having the computer handle it for you.

Rain, Snow, ice are good examples. But also sand, or spirited canyon driving for those of us in the mountains

John B+9

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 F-150, '13 Golf TDI, '21 GX460
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'm interested in 4A to get full benefit out of the integrated "GOAT modes" - a central processing unit managing engine throttle mapping, automatic transmission shift mapping, traction at each of the four wheels with auto transfer case and brakes, active suspension management. Can't do that with manual transmission and/or part-time transfer case. Sure, it's absolutely awesome and rewarding when a driver is skilled enough to manage the vehicle on their own - like a Marine Corps aviator hand-flying an AV-8B Harrier in the hover, manually balancing the jet on the head of a pin. But a lot to be said for the fully integrated F-35B that uses the flight control computer to hover the jet. Same for the 6G Bronco. 21st Century.

Sponsored

WatchYourSix

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

See, I think that is part of the problem these days. Too many "features" that lead to people not paying enough attention to their surroundings (not saying you specifically, just people in general). I also think that it leads to people not realizing how bad the roads are because they just leave it in 4A all winter.

Is the 4A system what allows the brake turn (no idea what it's called) for sharp turns on trails where it drags the inside rear tire? I could see that as a benefit and possibly the one reason I would consider the system. Just not sure I'd ever bother using it on road (even in patchy snow/ice situations since I find 2wd usually works just fine for me in those cases..).
The trail turn assist requires and is included with the auto trans but is separate from 4A. Trail Turn Assist does not require 4A, and vice versa.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think people are confusing 4A with automatic transmission. 4A specifically refers the transfer case. In the Advanced 4x4 you have , 2H, 4H, 4Lo, and 4A.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would recommend it from another Floridian. We know we have Rainy/Dry seasons. Often the roads can be terrible at the end of May/beginning of June as the Rainy season starts. During the winter when rain is negligible, there are still a tremendous amount of vehicles belching exhaust on the pavement leaving the oil residue. The rain after a dry spell often suspends the oil buildup causing the roads to be slick.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My H3T has a similar auto transfer case. It doesn't have a dedicated 2-wheel drive mode (2H), but it stays 2-wheel drive by default. It will engage the front drive as necessary in unlocked 4x4 mode.

It can be locked into 4H or locked into 4L. Each diff can be locked as well, with the front diff only allowed to lock in 4L.

What I like about such a 4x4 system is when you pull off on the side of the road and the right side tires are on grass or gravel and the left are on pavement. You can just stomp on the accelerator and the truck just moves out with zero drama.

I've had three 4x4 trucks, a Ranger STX, Jeep, and a stripped F150 work truck, all that had stick-actuated, shift-on-the fly transfer cases. The H3T's system is far superior with zero side effects. I'm getting the option for my BD build.

Last edited:

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The advanced transfer case has a 2H mode so you can make it not engage the front, it's not like it's always monitoring.

Advanced 4x4

Where would the twin sticks come through the floor, there's going to be a center console and console mounted shifter. Would be a massive undertaking to do this, plus with the very low crawl gear on top of the advanced TC why would you need twin stick?
They could come out of the cup holders LOL

Sponsored

CWO4

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm interested in 4A to get full benefit out of the integrated "GOAT modes" - a central processing unit managing engine throttle mapping, automatic transmission shift mapping, traction at each of the four wheels with auto transfer case and brakes, active suspension management. Can't do that with manual transmission and/or part-time transfer case. Sure, it's absolutely awesome and rewarding when a driver is skilled enough to manage the vehicle on their own - like a Marine Corps aviator hand-flying an AV-8B Harrier in the hover, manually balancing the jet on the head of a pin. But a lot to be said for the fully integrated F-35B that uses the flight control computer to hover the jet. Same for the 6G Bronco. 21st Century.
You mean a "lawn dart" ?

mjohnso3

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hmm, forgive me I haven't owned any brand new trucks with the latest tech. Im used to stuff from the 70's and 80's where you come to a stop, yank up hard on a big lever on the floor and then continue on. Back when truck were all steel ;)
Delasangre you forgot the last step. You will need to pullover again and get out and lock those hubs ??

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would also suggest for someone new to the off road world, the 4A case can work “automatically”, where you need some experience to know when to use or not use a locking transfer case or setting. We can all benefit from many aspects of the “advanced “ transfer case, “newbies” should be even more drawn to the benefit.

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you are new to off roading and don’t plan to do any serious trails, just beginner stuff, do you need the advanced 4x4?
what’s the main difference?
Having lived in the show belt and driving nothing but 2WD my entire life, I'm perfectly fine manually switching to 4WD when conditions are bad enough. The Bronco's manual system is shift on the fly, so even that is a big advantage over traditional systems.
Sponsored