Sponsored

What's Ford's logic regarding "Advanced 4x4" availability?

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I believe it has a center differential, allowing different wheel rotation rates front to rear. If you had ever made a tight turn on dry pavement in a 4WD without a center differential, you would know......
Correct. My original point was the 4a isn't going to make the truck "safer". I don't think a truck with the 4a will be better at turning or stopping than a truck in 2wd.
Sponsored

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My original point was the 4a isn't going to make the truck "safer". I don't think a truck with the 4a will be better at turning or stopping than a truck in 2wd.
It can definitely help turning, since the front end will pull in the direction you want to go, rather than being pushed by one rear wheel. For stopping, less helpful but engine braking can be more controlled with both front and rear connected. It is not yet known how well the Bronco 4A approximates AWD. But, it won't be safer if you drive faster or more aggressively due to the additional control.

So definitely a big advantage for on-road if driving snow/slick roads. For off-road, it is a must-have for the better 4L gearing.

If the Bronco 4A implementation is good (not yet known), it may also significantly improve street performance on dry roads for launch and cornering acceleration.

Deleted member 16780

Sorry but I think soccer mom's have money to burn compared to the average Joe
Ha! Particularly when you factor in the cost of travel pay-to-play soccer these days. $$$$$

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It can definitely help turning, since the front end will pull in the direction you want to go, rather than being pushed by one rear wheel. For stopping, less helpful but engine braking can be more controlled with both front and rear connected. It is not yet known how well the Bronco 4A approximates AWD. But, it won't be safer if you drive faster or more aggressively due to the additional control.

So definitely a big advantage for on-road if driving snow/slick roads. For off-road, it is a must-have for the better 4L gearing.

If the Bronco 4A implementation is good (not yet known), it may also significantly improve street performance on dry roads for launch and cornering acceleration.
Agree to disagree I guess. Hard to argue much when the vehicle doesn't exist. I still say from the viewpoint of *safety* your roadholding ability during a turn you want a neutral accel/decel so applying power isn't part of it. And for max braking you're using the abs in either situation so that's moot too.

For a casual person in semi-slick roads, it's a slight convenience.

jeep364

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep WK
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a mid level F150 XLT that only has 4H, need to go to Lariat to get 4A
Unfortunately GM and Dodge offer that on their mid level LTs and Big Horns (SLE). Doesn't stop f150s from selling like hotcakes. Ford was late to the party on 4a on their 1/2 tons as well.

I've noticed an uptick in this exact complaint on 1/2 ton forums over the past 10+ years as it is a more available option (hell GM just added this to their 3/4 and 1 tons). That said, all the "4hi" is real 4wd only, "why can't you just switch the dial" crowd are clueless about the advantages of a 4a setting on any vehicle especially if you live anywhere with reasonable precipitation (and that includes rain).

Sponsored

chownd

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
For a street-tire Base model, you would think the "Advanced 4x4" transfer case, with 4A (AWD), would be a legit selling point. One example would be keeping soccer mom and the kiddos safer in all road conditions. I am very tempted by the value proposition of a non-Squatch 2-door Base model, and I would certainly use 4A during rainy, "slick road" urban driving.

What is Ford hoping to accomplish by limiting the entry point for the Advanced 4x4 option to Black Diamond trim (for non-Squatch)?
Money would be my best guess.

I don't think Ford really wants to sell a bunch of bases

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Their logic is it differentiates the low level trims from the higher level. Just another reason to get you to upgrade over low end trims.

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a mid level F150 XLT that only has 4H, need to go to Lariat to get 4A
My 2011 F-150 Lariat must be to old, it doesn't have 4A, it just has 4H, 4L and rear locker.

jeep364

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep WK
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My 2011 F-150 Lariat must be to old, it doesn't have 4A, it just has 4H, 4L and rear locker.
They added in 12 or 13 to all 4x4 lariats unless you had the plow package.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Agree to disagree I guess. Hard to argue much when the vehicle doesn't exist. I still say from the viewpoint of *safety* your roadholding ability during a turn you want a neutral accel/decel so applying power isn't part of it. And for max braking you're using the abs in either situation so that's moot too.

For a casual person in semi-slick roads, it's a slight convenience.
Agree to agree with rtaylor and Techun. If one could maintain neutral accel/decel in actual driving conditions 4wd would be irrelevant. But, in actual conditions 4wd can be of great benefit on slick roads. When climbing a snow slick pass with 7% grades 4wd will help prevent wheel slip and also pull through a corner, it also can help with deceleration if you use engine braking judiciously. As rtaylor said "But, it won't be safer if you drive faster or more aggressively due to the additional control."

And as Techun said about Auto 4wd "For a casual person in semi-slick roads, it's a slight convenience."
Sponsored