Sponsored

What's Ford's logic regarding "Advanced 4x4" availability?

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
What is Ford hoping to accomplish by limiting the entry point for the Advanced 4x4 option to Black Diamond trim (for non-Squatch)?
To get you to move up to a higher model. I don't see why this is such a hard concept for some people to grasp.

Ford does not want to sell the base model, they don't want people to buy the base model. That is why the base model is so limited on options. It's the perfect blank canvas for people that just want an offroad rig, & those customers will probably make up less than 10% of overall bronco customers. The base model bronco exists so that it can hit the headline of starting at 28K.
Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For a street-tire Base model, you would think the "Advanced 4x4" transfer case, with 4A (AWD), would be a legit selling point.
You say "selling point," Ford sees "upselling point." Ford keeps 4A away from the poverty-spec F150s as well. You have to get a Lariat or higher to get it on the F150.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is interesting that a large portion of buyers probably benefit from the “advanced” transfer case more than many of the other options , but neither they nor many of the salespeople they talk to will understand what it is and why they need it. Why it’s not on the base seems obvious to me, but I am old and have been around cars a long time?

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

You say "selling point," Ford sees "upselling point." Ford keeps 4A away from the poverty-spec F150s as well. You have to get a Lariat or higher to get it on the F150.
poverty? I guess 45k is compared to the 70k versions :rolleyes:

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
poverty? I guess 45k is compared to the 70k versions :rolleyes:
I'm not sure what you mean. You have to spend $51k to get 4A on an F150 where the base models start at $29k.

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Base is for two different buyers, neither of whom is a soccer mom.

One base buyer is scraping together pennies to get into a vehicle they probably can't afford, the other is someone who is going to strip it and put tens of thousands of dollars into customizing, aftermarket parts and Monster Energy decals.

Their names are Hank and Kyle. Both good dudes.
Or it's just for someone that wants a Bronco and doesn't want to pay a bunch of money for things they will never use. Since I want a manual transmission, I can't get the Mid Package on anything under the Badlands. That means I have to spend $45,000 just to get a manual + mid package. I'm not putting $10,000 or $15,000 into my Bronco. I just want to enjoy life in a two door vehicle with some off road capability. That means Base for me.

Plus, I doubt the Base + manual will have much depreciation. 2-Door Wrangler Sports hold their value well.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Your example of "turning" illustrates my point exactly regarding street driving during rain and other "borderline" slick conditions. For the "clueless", 4A would be a set-and-forget option to use all-wheel drive without constantly having to remember to pop it back into 2H to avoid binding.
How's 4a going to help you turn?

OP
OP
KH_59

KH_59

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
How's 4a going to help you turn?
I believe it has a center differential, allowing different wheel rotation rates front to rear. If you had ever made a tight turn on dry pavement in a 4WD without a center differential, you would know......

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
What is Ford hoping to accomplish by limiting the entry point for the Advanced 4x4 option to Black Diamond trim (for non-Squatch)?
So that you’ll move up to at least a Black Diamond. Same reason you can’t get Mid package on BB with a stick, but you can on Badlands.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I believe it has a center differential, allowing different wheel rotation rates front to rear. If you had ever made a tight turn on dry pavement in a 4WD without a center differential, you would know......
The standard transfer case utilizes a computer-controlled clutch to let it "Shift on the Fly" and engage the front wheels while the truck is already moving. The 4A transfer case just has a heavier duty clutch that lets it modulate power to the front wheels as needed. The end effect is the same as having a center differential.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

One base buyer is scraping together pennies to get into a vehicle they probably can't afford, the other is someone who is going to strip it and put tens of thousands of dollars into customizing, aftermarket parts and Monster Energy decals.

I’m not either of those buyers. I want a base 4dr 2.7 Sasquatch as a 3rd vehicle and will throw some money at it for accessories.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A Kyle here. I resemble that remark. Tho I'm getting a Badlands.
Ford Bronco What's Ford's logic regarding "Advanced 4x4" availability? IMG_20201211_124450

TRACKTOY

Badlands
First Name
ANDRÉ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 LARIAT CREW C. 3.5L ÉCO 2022+ BRONCO BL.2023
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a mid level F150 XLT that only has 4H, need to go to Lariat to get 4A
HI
It's true about 10,000.00$ for a LARIAT. FORDd sell a price on base model not a BRONCO. it's a choice for a buyer to pay less for less or more for more , that's the way for all manufacturer ford, GM, Toyota ........
TRACKTOY
Sponsored