First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 T4R Limited (RIP)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am working on the final revisions of my order and have one. last. dilemma: the quandary of the advanced 4x4. What do you all think?

I'm in central VA, so Shenandoah, Smokies, and WV all in easy reach. Also a snowboarder so I'd love to not be limited in my ability to get to or leave a mountain. I will also take this to the NC coast to catch some sand from time to time, but I have generally be able to navigate that pretty easily without a lot of gear to help. At most a rear locker for the beach would probably handle the trouble it might get in.

My build will be 2022 BD 2.3 A10 (non-squatch), so it already has the rear locker. For about $700 more, I can upgrade to the advanced 4x4, but I'm not too wild about the auto engagement part of the deal. If I want to engage 4h or 4l, I'd be quite content with making that decision on my own instead of it being made for me by a computer. That said, the front locker is appealing (bc hey... Stuff!), but judging from past use of my 3g T4R, likely is not "needed." At least not at first.

I've also seen some implications that the advanced 4x4 also includes the beefier front diff and front axles. If this is true, that's a point in it's favor, justifying the relatively low cost of the upgrade. Can anyone speak to the truth of this?

I'm all ears on suggestions as well.
Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am working on the final revisions of my order and have one. last. dilemma: the quandary of the advanced 4x4. What do you all think?

I'm in central VA, so Shenandoah, Smokies, and WV all in easy reach. Also a snowboarder so I'd love to not be limited in my ability to get to or leave a mountain. I will also take this to the NC coast to catch some sand from time to time, but I have generally be able to navigate that pretty easily without a lot of gear to help. At most a rear locker for the beach would probably handle the trouble it might get in.

My build will be 2022 BD 2.3 A10 (non-squatch), so it already has the rear locker. For about $700 more, I can upgrade to the advanced 4x4, but I'm not too wild about the auto engagement part of the deal. If I want to engage 4h or 4l, I'd be quite content with making that decision on my own instead of it being made for me by a computer. That said, the front locker is appealing (bc hey... Stuff!), but judging from past use of my 3g T4R, likely is not "needed." At least not at first.

I've also seen some implications that the advanced 4x4 also includes the beefier front diff and front axles. If this is true, that's a point in it's favor, justifying the relatively low cost of the upgrade. Can anyone speak to the truth of this?

I'm all ears on suggestions as well.
The advanced transfer case comes standard on Badlands or any trim Sasquatch. It has a slightly lower 4 low range gearing and the 4A feature for snow, but doesn’t include any other upgraded hardware.

If you want a front locker you need Sasquatch or Badlands. In my mind the Badlands with High package is a better value than Black Diamond Sasquatch. Comparing 2 doors: The BD SAS 2.7 Mid is $48,220, the Badlands 2.7 High is $50,270. $2000 buys you the sway bar disconnect, 12” screen, 360 cameras, front parking sensors, mirror spotlights, etc. You give up the 315/70R17 tires and beadlock capable wheels, but you get 285/70R17 BFG AT’s and slightly more suspension travel.

Question, If you’re wanting an automatic why not get the 2.7L? The 2.7 can’t be a constraint forever. I went 2.3L because I wanted a manual, I went with Badlands for the heated seats and tech with the manual. The only reason for me to consider the auto is the larger 2.7L.

OP
OP
DCtoobs42

DCtoobs42

Black Diamond
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 T4R Limited (RIP)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
BD mid is the trim that suits all of my needs the best without stacking features I don't. The mid have a couple of features that were non negotiable for the lady, like heated seats. We both really like the MGV interior, too. Auto is for girlfriend and we already have a snappy little coupe for me to satisfy my need for a clutch. 2.3 is bc it is about 50% more hp and torque than the 4runner I am coming from with similar fuel economy.

From what I'm seeing on 2022 BD with advanced 4x4, it would seem it has front & rear lockers. Additionally, a spec table I saw implies the heavier duty front diff and axles with the upgraded 4x4 system. If these things are not true, then I'm happy to go with the part time option and rear locker only. I'd ask my sales guy but it seems I may have done quite a bit more research than him on the vehicle (sigh).

Just looking for clarification, mostly.... And some emotional confirmation of a kickass ride. Lol

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The heavier M210 front differential and locker are only available with Sasquatch or Badlands/Wildtrak. When they talk about the 4A setting delivering locked power to both axles they are referring to the outputs on the transfer case locking, nothing to do with the differentials.

My initial order was a BD manual. I had to go Badlands to get what I really wanted, heated seats were the gateway drug. The amount of cool stuff included in the jump to Badlands High ($8500 in my case) compared to BD no package made it a no brainer. In my mind it’s base or badlands, BD is an $8K jump from base but all you really get is a rear locker, MGV interior, and black steelies with 265/70R17 tires that many people will replace anyway. Base is amazing value and has all the essentials except for a rear locker and tow package. Add tow for a couple hundred bucks, waterproof seat covers, aftermarket seat heaters, floor liners, window tint, and your choice of wheels and tires for a great ride.

OP
OP
DCtoobs42

DCtoobs42

Black Diamond
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 T4R Limited (RIP)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The heavier M210 front differential and locker are only available with Sasquatch or Badlands/Wildtrak. When they talk about the 4A setting delivering locked power to both axles they are referring to the outputs on the transfer case locking, nothing to do with the differentials.

My initial order was a BD manual. I had to go Badlands to get what I really wanted, heated seats were the gateway drug. The amount of cool stuff included in the jump to Badlands High ($8500 in my case) compared to BD no package made it a no brainer. In my mind it’s base or badlands, BD is an $8K jump from base but all you really get is a rear locker, MGV interior, and black steelies with 265/70R17 tires that many people will replace anyway. Base is amazing value and has all the essentials except for a rear locker and tow package. Add tow for a couple hundred bucks, waterproof seat covers, aftermarket seat heaters, floor liners, window tint, and your choice of wheels and tires for a great ride.
@BroncoAZ thank you! That clears up a lot.

In my case, the jump from BD to BL is a few thousand bucks and I'm not specifically interested in Sas. But, with your info, I'm def going to look it over again. Cheers!

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For the money and your use of heading to the mountains to engage in snow sports, I think the 4A is a no-brainer option. It's $800. Even if you think you'll never use it, the one time that you do, it will have paid to have it.

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I ordered the advanced 4x4 on my BD. Haven’t used it yet but I have spoken to many who say it’s a worthy upgrade. From my understanding the auto engagement will only apply when you find yourself in a slippery situation such as icy or snow conditions.

I have the 7mt and the adv. 4x4 gives me a crazy crawl gear.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm at 4,000ft elevation in WNC, where snow/ice can swing from 4" to patchy very quickly. Advanced 4x4 is the most valued feature on my BD...only engages when its needed; set it & forget it.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wet roads and constantly changing road conditions is where 4a will shine. That's why I want it. I live out in the country and our roads can go from completely clear to completely snow covered pretty quick due to open fields and blowing snow. Yeah I can switch from 4h to 2h and know when to do it. But a set it and forget it for these conditions would be nice to have.

Still pisses me off you can't get a BB with Advance 4x4 without the Sasquatch package.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ordered the advanced 4x4 on my BD. Haven’t used it yet but I have spoken to many who say it’s a worthy upgrade. From my understanding the auto engagement will only apply when you find yourself in a slippery situation such as icy or snow conditions.

I have the 7mt and the adv. 4x4 gives me a crazy crawl gear.
Correct, the 4A only applies power when slippage is detected, but remember the 4A system is determining this many many times a second.

Additionally, slippage means not just big “OH CRAP” moments… but all the subtle times in a patch of wet asphalt or aggressive maneuvering.

While not a “true” AWD system like that found in other brands, since 4A is safe to drive around in (as opposed to 4h) on otherwise high-traction surfaces… I think it’s invaluable as a tool you can throw your bronco in when wet stuff starts falling from the sky or your driving on a dirt road for some extra margin of safety.

$0.02

Sponsored

Jim Walter

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am a long time Jeeper. Always built mine from the ground up. But that has proved to be very costly in the long run. This time around I went with the BL/Sas straight from the factory. All the warranties. I do alot of trails in N Ga, Ala and Tenn. Alot of rock crawling and other obstacles. Have not gotten my Bronco yet, but hoping IFS is as good as they say. Have read and seen many videos on the weak tie rods on after market lifted Broncos. And some have already come up with fixes to strengthen them. Not sure if this is an issue with Sasquatch packages.

PrincipalD

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I added it to my OBX for $1500 and felt that was worth it. It is on my wife’s Expedition and it is handy. It’s a “push it and forget it” feature. I can see you driving up a mountain road to snowboard and selecting it just in case you find some ice or wet pavement that creates slick conditions. It responds faster than you would. I primarily did it for the 4.27 gearing with the anticipating of future tire size increases. Of course, the BD already has a higher gear ratio.

My thought is this: If $700 won’t push you over the final price you are comfortable spending - do it. You will never regret getting it but you will regret if you don’t.

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To me, if I can't engage the transfer case with a steel shift linkage, going with the most advanced option with the most capability, the 2.3 Manual 4dr BL High, is academic.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If I hadn't had a similar set up in my 2019 Grand Cherokee, I would probably never miss it. But there were many times driving on very slick wet roads that I could feel it engaging when the rear would start to lose traction. I actually tried a few times in a controlled environment to make it break traction and couldn't.

Solid ice would be a totally different situation. But the only thing that helps in that type of situation is having the right tires and the right amount of experience and common sense.

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dodge charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Fellow snowboarder here in a mid Atlantic state a bit north of you. 4A was a must for me and I have it on my very soon to be built BD 2.3 manual for the very same reason you are thinking about it.
Sponsored