Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

you absolutely can, its just a nice convenience to have a mode that controls that automatically.
Sponsored

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

you absolutely can, its just a nice convenience to have a mode that controls that automatically.
Ok but the idea that you can’t turn the wheel too much? Thats what I need help understanding

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Confused why you can just switch to 4H in mixed winter weather and drive normally. Please explain.
You can, but on dry pavement if there is a difference in wheel speed, it can be very hard on the transfer case. This is "exaggerated" in turns and the tighter you turn, the more differentiation there can be front to rear. It's discussed less often, but it also allows differentiation when braking with uneven traction. 4WD "locked" can cause some funky handling when braking, especially in mixed conditions. I have had both and the most noticeable thing for me is the overall handling in snow and transition between snow and wet/dry like my drive yesterday from my cabin back home. It was literally different very few miles. Dry, wet, snow on and off the whole drive. I just kept switching, but would have preferred to be driving our Explorer with AWD. The advanced transfer case also has a better crawl ratio. That's another bonus and makes the value even a bit better.

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

lrtexasman

Black Diamond
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL traded for 23 Tundra waiting on BD Order
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There will be a lot of Broncos coming to Texas, and as many of you know we do get a fair amount of ice/sleet and snow on some occasions in the north and west areas of the state. Many of us head west during hunting season and the 4A will come in handy on the commute. With that said, we do get lots of rain in the east and southern part of the state and all along the gulf coast to Florida. Wondering if folks there should be considering the 4A as well. I am opting for the 4A more for the rain than the ice/snow. Curious from those in the know, is the 4A a good system for the rain? I am thinking the system will function in those conditions.

Last edited:

Sponsored

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There a lot of Broncos coming to Texas, and as many of you know we do get a fair amount of ice/sleet and snow on some occasions in the north and west areas of the state. Many of us head west during hunting season and the 4A will come in handy on the commute. With that said, we do get lots of rain in the east and southern part of the state and all along the gulf coast to Florida. Wondering if folks there should be considering the 4A as well. I am opting for the 4A more for the rain than the ice/snow. Curious from those in the know, is the 4A a good system for the rain? I am thinking the system will function in those conditions.
In my research and talking to those who had the system in the Explorer it functions well in rain, snow or any reduced traction conditions. From what I can tell It is not as good as an all wheel drive system with a torsen center diff but comes quite close without the cost and weight of that system. I have lots of seat time in vehicles with torsen diffs so I am eager to compare it to that.

flatlander40

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m no expert and I can’t say it is apples to apples but I would say the 4x4 high meant for off road and advanced 4x4 is similar to all wheel drive and designed for on road use.

No expert though :)

Last edited:

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco is the only new 4x4 available with an automatic transfer case coupled with a manual transmission (the FJ Cruiser was the previous last to offer it, AFAIK). And it wasn't very common before that, either.

The Bronco may be the last mass-produced 4x4 with an available manual transmission, and definitely the last with manual+auto transfer case. These 'unicorn' powertrain combos almost always prove to be highly sought-after in the used market.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’m no expert and I can’t say it is apples to apples but I would say the 4x4 high meant for off road and advanced 4x4 is similar to all wheel drive and designed for on road use.

No expert though :)
That's the way I explain it in a very dumbed down way that makes sense to me lol

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Without it on the BB I guess I will be sliding all over !! Or switch between 2h and 4h on snowy roads when road driving

Sponsored

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Without it on the BB I guess I will be sliding all over !! Or switch between 2h and 4h on snowy roads when road driving
That, and the availability of the high package for the 12" screen and 360 camera, is what pushed me from the Big Bend to the Outer Banks.

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That's the way I explain it in a very dumbed down way that makes sense to me lol
That’s a big jump in cost. 3-5k for advanced 4x4 to manage winter snow driving ??

Dlerojo

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A lot of people are mistaken about 4A. I have 4A on my F150. It doesn’t kick in only when it senses slipping. It’s actually similar to 4 high in that you’re in 4 wheel drive and all wheels are getting power. You can watch it on the power distribution screen. It’s benefit is that it allows for slippage in the drive train to not bind the components on dry pavement. If you use regular 4 high on dry pavement you can have binding and damage your drive train. It’s 4 high but usable in more situations.