Prospective Buyer looking for input.

Matt Willhelm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hello all, hoping to engage in some general conversation as I work through deciding how serious my family is about adding a 2D 6G Bronco to the garage in the next 6-12 months. I’ve found that enthusiast forums are a great place to collect information that otherwise is scattered across the web. I also know the frustration of answering the same questions on a daily basis, so I ask your patience.

As background, I typically order through a local long time dealer, but not opposed to taking from inventory. My last Ford, a 2021, was around 4 months from order to delivery day, not bad. And that’s the first question:

I know the Bronco has been plagued by both production and delivery delays, along with much of the industry. Do we see this changing materially in the next 6-12 months? Anecdotal evidence suggest there may be more Bronco inventory on the lots. We know sales have slowed across the industry, is that coming to the Bronco?

Second question: This would partially serve as the wife’s daily driver. She drives a truck now, and is not fragile, but how are real world creature comforts, specifically noise and climate?

Lastly, if you will indulge, I will have follow up questions based on the myriad of trims this thing is offered in. As a rule, I trend toward base or the lowest trim that can accommodate our requirements. This is one reason I like to go through the order bank. In this case, probably those requirements are AT, heated seats and maybe rear locker. Vinyl flooring is a plus … so the more I look, the more the Black Diamond (with mid pkg)seems to make sense.

Happy to get any feedback on the above and thanks for your time.
Sponsored

4x4fun

Big Bend
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

No availability for ordering doesn’t look like it will change in the next 6 months to a year. There are still day one reservation holders that haven’t been scheduled for a build. The constraints list is always changing so that’s a huge factor. Currently it’s Sasquatch pkg, Lux pkg, Hard top, & trailer towing pkg. Supposedly. Ford will allow new retail orders in late March but that’s not set in stone.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a black diamond with Mid that I daily. I do not find it any less comfortable than the 2019 ranger I was previously in.

I had an order for a big bend mid with no constraints take three months to come in back in early 2022. My black diamond took 2 years and did not have any of the big constraints (sasquatch, hard top). It's really just a crap shoot.

OP
OP
Matt Willhelm

Matt Willhelm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have a black diamond with Mid that I daily. I do not find it any less comfortable than the 2019 ranger I was previously in.
Thanks

I had an order for a big bend mid with no constraints take three months to come in back in early 2022. My black diamond took 2 years and did not have any of the big constraints (sasquatch, hard top). It's really just a crap shoot.
2 years - that's crazy.

BT!

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
A couple of things. the Bronco that makes sense is the base model with a couple of options for 35K. This would include roof rails, hard top, modular bumper. For another 3500 add katskin leather interior (2500 installed) and billstien 5100's shocks (1K installed) after delivery. All in 38K and for that price it is a decent truck. If you run into problems then not a huge loss and there are people who are having problems. The smaller motor is superior as it is a longer running platform (been in the mustang for years). The drivetrain on the base model is identical to the other models. Most people are buying the 58 to 75 K versions which make no sense. At that price point the LR Defender is in a different class.

Sponsored

mcon33

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Willys Unlimited; 2022 Bronco BD SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I drive the black diamond, hardtop, tow, sas and love it. My opinion is the Black Diamond is the most underrated package produced for the price. But we all know the "opinions are like ....." everybody has one.

OP
OP
Matt Willhelm

Matt Willhelm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A couple of things. the Bronco that makes sense is the base model with a couple of options for 35K. This would include roof rails, hard top, modular bumper. For another 3500 add katskin leather interior (2500 installed) and billstien 5100's shocks (1K installed) after delivery. All in 38K and for that price it is a decent truck. If you run into problems then not a huge loss and there are people who are having problems. The smaller motor is superior as it is a longer running platform (been in the mustang for years). The drivetrain on the base model is identical to the other models. Most people are buying the 58 to 75 K versions which make no sense. At that price point the LR Defender is in a different class.
Good stuff Bud. I agree 60K is not the way to do this (for me). Like I said, it's one reason why I like to order - minimize paying for things not wanted.

I was also curious about the 2.3 in real world, as I imagine it is plenty for our modest needs.

I do have one clarification for you. You said "The drivetrain on the base model is identical to the other models. " I thought that locking diff was not available to be optioned on the base. Am I mistaken? Likewise, one of my few requirements, heated seats, is not available to be optioned on the base, correct?

OP
OP
Matt Willhelm

Matt Willhelm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My opinion is the Black Diamond is the most underrated package produced for the price. But we all know the "opinions are like ....." everybody has one.
It sure seems like the sweet spot for my needs as well. Sort of the equivalent of an XLT in my Super Duty world, and add the one or two things you need.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
IMHO, you can kit out Bronco with luxuries but it will be noisier than almost anything with those luxuries.

Your will need to test drive one to see if the noise level is acceptable.

No problem with climate control so far but I haven't had mine through a summer yet. Heat was good when it was zero degrees outside.

Heated seats get super hot, I turn them down to low after just a couple of minutes. The heated steering wheel is just right for me but others complain that it isn't hot enough.

It rides like a truck, as expected. Steers like a car, big plus.

Last edited:

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Good stuff Bud. I agree 60K is not the way to do this (for me). Like I said, it's one reason why I like to order - minimize paying for things not wanted.

I was also curious about the 2.3 in real world, as I imagine it is plenty for our modest needs.

I do have one clarification for you. You said "The drivetrain on the base model is identical to the other models. " I thought that locking diff was not available to be optioned on the base. Am I mistaken? Likewise, one of my few requirements, heated seats, is not available to be optioned on the base, correct?
The soft and hard top will be much noisier on the highway than a typical PU or SUV. I wouldn’t want it for my daily driver if I had a 30+ mile round trip commute to work but our daughters don’t mind the noise at all.

The 2.3 is enough for most especially in the 2 door and you can bump up the hp and torque through Ford Performance without voiding the warranty for under $1,000.

There are a lot of Broncos available for at or a few thousand dollars over MSRP if you are willing to hunt nationwide. That route will likely be much faster than ordering and the market continues to soften for new and used cars. If the order banks do open up in a couple months it could easily take 9-18 months or more for it to arrive. Allocations and current backlog at dealers matter a lot so try to find a dealer that will share that allocation information with you. Good luck!

Sponsored

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Black Diamond would be the sweet spot for you. It comes with a rear locker and the 4.46 gears are best available outside of the 4.7's. Washout interior is very nice IMO. As far as ordering one though, you can't right now and nobody truly knows future availability. Best bet is to check the classifieds and buy something in inventory or used.

BT!

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
True, if you want to use the vehicle for mudding or rock crawling you need lockers. If I was going the route I would probably buy a jeep for the money as the base wranglers comes with a locking diff and is similiar in price. The baseqautch pushes the vehicle price up but adds front/rear lockers I think. Also in a brief search I turned up this but as I dont really wheel it is of no consequence to me. My understanding is that you can get the leather Katskinz with heat/AC but I am not sure how that would work. None of the models come with a leather interior form the factory only vinyl.

___________from the forum
ARB offers an air locker for about $1k. You'll need to add an air compressor too.
Summit Racing already offers the whole rear unit, it's the Ford Performance unit. Will be avail from other sources.
$1752 from Summit, 4.46 ratio:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-3002-446bf/make/ford/model/bronco/year/2021

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the best option. put a lot in aftermarket accessories. Then get in a wreck. Watch how much they pay you for whats not on your policy, or what NADA pays for leather and shocks. WIN WIN. NOT.

BT!

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Obviosly a dealer. If its totalled pull your stuff out, if not...

This is the best option. put a lot in aftermarket accessories. Then get in a wreck. Watch how much they pay you for whats not on your policy, or what NADA pays for leather and shocks. WIN WIN. NOT.
Sponsored