First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Tundra, Explorer, IS500, '23 Bronco 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Replaced the OEM pan with a PPE cast aluminum. Quality seems very high. Capacity is exactly as stock. I did it mainly for the addition of a drain plug. I like to change the fluid every other oil change or so. Not a complete change, but the 3 to 5 quarts that drains from the pan. It’s probably overkill, but my Bronco is my 22nd Ford, and I’ve never had any transmission issues at all.
Anyway, it was an easy job. I used a mityvac to suck the fluid out of the dipstick hole, and replaced with the same amount. It ended up being exactly 4 1/2 quarts of Motorcraft ULV.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Can you give a run down of fluid level check procedure? Running? In park? Warm?

OP
OP
kr_1315

kr_1315

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Actually, I can not. I used a Mityvac to suck the fluid out of the dipstick hole on the side of the transmission. The oil in the OEM pan in the first photo is all that was left, about 4 ounces. I removed the pan without spilling a drop. I measured the oil I removed in a graduated cylinder, and replaced with the exact amount. Prior to doing this, I measured the volume of each pan to ensure it is exactly the same. It ended up being 4 1/2 quarts, that was drained and replaced. I also discovered, as expected, that when cold, the fluid level in the pan remains below the pan gasket.
Of note, I had a new filter and gasket on hand, but did not use either. I only had 2500 miles, and there was no metal fuzz on the magnet in the OEM pan. I purchased a 12 qt. case of Motorcraft ULV from Rockauto. (Approx. $85 with tax and shipping)
My plan is to drain the 4 /2 qts. or so every 15 to 20K, and replace with fresh. I have owned 22 Fords, including 6 that were purchaed new. Following this routine, I have never had a transmission issue of any kind. This includes multi generations of Mustangs, Explorers, F150s, and a Fusion, and over a million miles combined. I don't have anything other than anecdotal evidence that it is beneficial, but I enjoy doing all of my own maintenance, and as a result, it is very inexpensive.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Needs be at operating temperature (206-215) running in park to check it correctly.
Level on the dipstick should be between the 3 and 4
Ford Bronco PPE Transmision Pan installed 07090B76-9319-477C-A2ED-6520A19D773B

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Actually, I can not. I used a Mityvac to suck the fluid out of the dipstick hole on the side of the transmission. The oil in the OEM pan in the first photo is all that was left, about 4 ounces. I removed the pan without spilling a drop. I measured the oil I removed in a graduated cylinder, and replaced with the exact amount. Prior to doing this, I measured the volume of each pan to ensure it is exactly the same. It ended up being 4 1/2 quarts, that was drained and replaced. I also discovered, as expected, that when cold, the fluid level in the pan remains below the pan gasket.
Of note, I had a new filter and gasket on hand, but did not use either. I only had 2500 miles, and there was no metal fuzz on the magnet in the OEM pan. I purchased a 12 qt. case of Motorcraft ULV from Rockauto. (Approx. $85 with tax and shipping)
My plan is to drain the 4 /2 qts. or so every 15 to 20K, and replace with fresh. I have owned 22 Fords, including 6 that were purchaed new. Following this routine, I have never had a transmission issue of any kind. This includes multi generations of Mustangs, Explorers, F150s, and a Fusion, and over a million miles combined. I don't have anything other than anecdotal evidence that it is beneficial, but I enjoy doing all of my own maintenance, and as a result, it is very inexpensive.
Can't argue with success. I also have had over a dozen autos, mostly Ford. I only change fluid if it becomes discolored or smells burnt. I too have never had a transmission issue. I'm not disputing your method just relating mine.
I want to know the check procedure so I can check fluid level and quality since the Bronc doesn't have a normal dipstick nor is the procedure in the OM.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Needs be at operating temperature (206-215) running in park to check it correctly.
Level on the dipstick should be between the 3 and 4
Ford Bronco PPE Transmision Pan installed 07090B76-9319-477C-A2ED-6520A19D773B
Thanks

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
@kr_1315 hello, thanks for posting this for us all to review and consider. May I please inquire if you are noticing any lower transmission temperatures with the finned aluminum heat sink you now have under there and also, did you consider the deep pan option PPE also offers? Thanks very much for time and consideration!

OP
OP
kr_1315

kr_1315

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@kr_1315 hello, thanks for posting this for us all to review and consider. May I please inquire if you are noticing any lower transmission temperatures with the finned aluminum heat sink you now have under there and also, did you consider the deep pan option PPE also offers? Thanks very much for time and consideration!
Great question. I haven't noticed any lower temps yet. I've only driven is a few hundred miles since the install however. I'm guessing I won't see any significant difference unless run really hard, or towing heavily.
I didn't consider the "deep" pan option for two reasons. The first is I didn't want to decrease ground clearance. I don't know the specifics of the deep pan, and how much lower it would actually be. The deep pan could also limit the number of after market skid plates that are available if I decided to install one that protects the transmission.
The second reason was, I am not sure of the fit for the Bronco. I have not checked PPEs site lately, but when I purchased the pan, it only showed that the normal depth pan was compatible with the Bronco.
Just an additional piece of info. The stock bolts will work fine in the PPE pan. However, I ended up replacing all 18 of them primarily so they would match. Six of the stock bolts have stud extensions, which are not used on my Bronco. The required bolt size is 6mm by 25mm length.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for posting this. I installed a similar pan on my last truck in order to gain a drain plug and make regular (partial) fluid changes easier to perform, and want to do the same on the Bronco.

Out of curiosity, how much of a PITA is it to fill with new fluid?

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@kr_1315. does this pan add anymore fluid to help with better cooling?

Give us a heads up on any temperature improvements.

OP
OP
kr_1315

kr_1315

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for posting this. I installed a similar pan on my last truck in order to gain a drain plug and make regular (partial) fluid changes easier to perform, and want to do the same on the Bronco.

Out of curiosity, how much of a PITA is it to fill with new fluid?
Filling the transmission is quite easy with a pump system like Mityvac or similar. There is a cap and dipstick on the driver side of the transmission that also serves as the servicing point.

OP
OP
kr_1315

kr_1315

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@kr_1315. does this pan add anymore fluid to help with better cooling?

Give us a heads up on any temperature improvements.
This pan is exactly the same volume as stock. PPE does offer a deep pan, but I am not sure if it will work on the Bronco due to decreasing the ground clearance.
I haven’t seen a reduction in operating temperature yet, but haven’t towed or driven it hard enough to exceed the capacity of the stock cooler. I will update as I put more miles on it in varying conditions.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Filling the transmission is quite easy with a pump system like Mityvac or similar. There is a cap and dipstick on the driver side of the transmission that also serves as the servicing point.
Aware of the dipstick and filling point, just trying not to spend another $200 in tools if I can avoid it. Already have an extractor, but it doesn't work in the opposite direction.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Aware of the dipstick and filling point, just trying not to spend another $200 in tools if I can avoid it. Already have an extractor, but it doesn't work in the opposite direction.
Another reason to add the B&M dip stick. Makes it easy to check & easy to fill ;).
Sponsored