Sponsored

Dealer just requested another $400 to advance my reservation.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The guy I'm working with at my local dealership said there will be a $500 deposit at time of order in December. I've seen a couple mentions of deposits at time of order being normal. The OPs email mentioned $400 to complete the order. That might just mean in December at time of order, they'll need $400 more for the deposit on top the $100 reservation they already have ?‍♂

Also, personal question, is a deposit normal when placing a new car order? and does it go towards the purchase price in the end?
A deposit requirement will vary by dealer. I've ordered several vehicles and was never asked for a deposit. In a normal situation, I don't really see anything wrong with it as long as the terms are clear and you don't plan on backing out. I'd be a little more cautious with Bronco because there will surely be some dealers pulling sh$t at the last minute.
Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Actually, that part can be done if they send a PDF file. You use the pen tool and email it back. I've done that for insurance binders.
Yeah - but you don't PRINT and sign it. I've done lots of signed pdf's in my job - but what's the point of telling someone to print and sign it and somehow magically return said signed printout back to an email address?

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Makes me wonder if they will be able to handle the volume.
Somehow, people seem to think there will be a convoy 3 miles long pulling up to Grainger on the same day. The spacing between reservations should tell this couldn't possibly happen because vehicles heading there will be built weeks and months apart. It's more likely 1-2 loads a week with 7-8 vehicles each would be the norm.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah - but you don't PRINT and sign it. I've done lots of signed pdf's in my job - but what's the point of telling someone to print and sign it and somehow magically return said signed printout back to an email address?
I guess that dealer thinks if he falls for the hook and line, he'll fall for the sinker also. When I saw the print & sign, that sent the red flag right up.

Bladerunner24

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 expedition, 67 camaro rs, 89 bmw 535i
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Guy looks a bit shady

Sponsored

Neigh.hey

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hello,
Brand new to the forum, recently placed a reservation with Ravenel Ford in Ravenel SC. Just received an email from them requesting another $400 to continue the reservation process. They also say they can't commit to X plan pricing. Thinking of moving my reservation. Has anyone else experienced this yet? Thanks in advance.
I live in Charleston, pretty close to Ravenel, SC. I stopped by several Ford dealerships before placing my reservation. I put mine through Jone's Ford. I talked with a few dealerships around the Charleston, SC area and these guys seemed to have the best straight talk option. They appear to be doing msrp pricing and their dealership also has a 'limited lifetime powertrain warranty' which is important to me because of the amount of miles I drive per year per business use (30k+). I would stop by Jones Ford (its on rivers ave and close to I-26 and I-526 interchange) as they seem to be the best in our area. And I'm not travelling to or shipping a vehicle from another state, just not happening for a $1,000 bucks.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Shame. Ethics. Transparency. Honesty. What do these things have in common? They are all things many auto dealerships never have in stock.
When I bought a new car earlier this year, after everything was negotiated, they still tried to slip in a $400 VIN etching fee. I expected that sort of thing, and refused to pay it, so they dropped it. But that is a reason I would think real hard before handing a dealership any money, until the final rock solid price is in writing. Otherwise giving money ahead of time to a dealership gives them leverage over the buyer, which could lead to some unscrupulous behavior or at minimum unneeded pressure.

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just my $0.02

You are purchasing the new hotness. Let the dealer know that you intend to park your hotness in a busy parking lot and talk to everyone who comes by to look at it. Be sure to mention that you will be letting everyone know your experience with that dealer, good or bad.

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I live in Charleston, pretty close to Ravenel, SC. I stopped by several Ford dealerships before placing my reservation. I put mine through Jone's Ford. I talked with a few dealerships around the Charleston, SC area and these guys seemed to have the best straight talk option. They appear to be doing msrp pricing and their dealership also has a 'limited lifetime powertrain warranty' which is important to me because of the amount of miles I drive per year per business use (30k+). I would stop by Jones Ford (its on rivers ave and close to I-26 and I-526 interchange) as they seem to be the best in our area. And I'm not travelling to or shipping a vehicle from another state, just not happening for a $1,000 bucks.
Your call and valid logic - but $1K? Seriously? In my case, a prospective 4-door Badlands buyer, using the leaked pricing info (and before options, which further increase the delta) the MSRP for the Badlands is $44,590. The invoice is $43,030. So that's already $1,560. Then the standard best deal so far that was initiated by Granger Ford in Iowa (and matched in West Virginia) is $1K below invoice plus an additional $300 if X-plan eligible (which I am). So that's a delta of $2,860 before options. For me, once options are added, that's definitely well into the mid to high $3K range of savings.

Being in Chicago obviously I'm very close to Iowa, and there's multiple flights a day out of O'Hare for ~$100. Like a lot of folks I've got a ton of miles so in reality I'd end up paying maybe 10 bucks or so in taxes/fees. A tank of gas or so on the way back and I'm still ahead multiple thousands of dollars. Biggest risk is increased cholesterol stopping for Iowa breaded pork tenderloin sandwich or 3, some Maid-Rite loose meat sandwiches and maybe some Quad Cities pizza.

For a SC resident as yourself I can't imagine the flight cost to WV is that high and it's a 2 or 3 tank full day's drive back to Charleston. At the end of the day, obviously, it's any individual's call as to what is best for them . . . but there's way more than $1K savings on that table.

OP
OP
UTultimate

UTultimate

Badlands
First Name
UltimateBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
MSRP vs Under invoice is way more than $1,000

Neigh.hey

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Your call and valid logic - but $1K? Seriously? In my case, a prospective 4-door Badlands buyer, using the leaked pricing info (and before options, which further increase the delta) the MSRP for the Badlands is $44,590. The invoice is $43,030. So that's already $1,560. Then the standard best deal so far that was initiated by Granger Ford in Iowa (and matched in West Virginia) is $1K below invoice plus an additional $300 if X-plan eligible (which I am). So that's a delta of $2,860 before options. For me, once options are added, that's definitely well into the mid to high $3K range of savings.

Being in Chicago obviously I'm very close to Iowa, and there's multiple flights a day out of O'Hare for ~$100. Like a lot of folks I've got a ton of miles so in reality I'd end up paying maybe 10 bucks or so in taxes/fees. A tank of gas or so on the way back and I'm still ahead multiple thousands of dollars. Biggest risk is increased cholesterol stopping for Iowa breaded pork tenderloin sandwich or 3, some Maid-Rite loose meat sandwiches and maybe some Quad Cities pizza.

For a SC resident as yourself I can't imagine the flight cost to WV is that high and it's a 2 or 3 tank full day's drive back to Charleston. At the end of the day, obviously, it's any individual's call as to what is best for them . . . but there's way more than $1K savings on that table.

I hear ya. I'm not flying anywhere for getting a car. I'm not paying anyone to ship a site unseen vehicle, that I'm paying $40k for. I also would never, ever think that driving a...0 mileage vehicle across the country right off that bat, is a long term good idea. Have at it bud. There is not a gas combustion engine that does not have a break in period. And driving across the country at 80mph for 2.5 days is not it. If I can get a local/legit warranty on power train vs. saving a couple grand... F a couple grand, especially with a forced injection motor that...who knows...could have problems...and would be nice to have that. I think the motor/turbo is the only real concern for me, and I want a 'you are paying for that, not me' situation with this compared to a few dollars a month. But that is me

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
...some Maid-Rite loose meat sandwiches
This is absolutely key!

As to the dealer wanting another $400 now, that is not the thing to worry about. It is them wanting an electronic or scanned signature returned on a retail purchase agreement. Dollars to Krispy Kreme's it will lock the buyer into a likely vague and undisclosed price. (read; stupid high ADM) or a forfeiture of that $500.

OP
OP
UTultimate

UTultimate

Badlands
First Name
UltimateBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is absolutely key!

As to the dealer wanting another $400 now, that is not the thing to worry about. It is them wanting an electronic or scanned signature returned on a retail purchase agreement. Dollars to Krispy Kreme's it will lock the buyer into a likely vague and undisclosed price. (read; stupid high ADM) or a forfeiture of that $500.
They didn’t even include the attachment so ?
Sponsored