First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
How many of you all drive in slippery on the highway? I was always told never go above 45 mph in 4H, but I am assuming that irrelevant with modern tech. First snow in MN today, want to make sure I'm not putting any extra stress on my transfer case. Drove to work in 2H and was not fun!
Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

How many of you all drive in slippery on the highway? I was always told never go above 45 mph in 4H, but I am assuming that irrelevant with modern tech. First snow in MN today, want to make sure I'm not putting any extra stress on my transfer case. Drove to work in 2H and was not fun!
If you have the advanced transfer case.... Use 4A.....

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And if you don't have 4A, you probably shouldn't be using 4H on the highway anyway. 4WD isn't going to help you much if you start sliding at 70mph. Don't be one of those people that thinks they can drive in snow with 4WD just like dry pavement ;)

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

4H and 4L should only be used when OFF-ROAD or if you get into a bind and need it to get unstuck. Relying on 4WD to prevent you from getting stuck is like carrying an umbrella to keep it from raining. Use 4WD only when you need it.

What you're driving as a very capable off-road vehicle, not a go-anywhere all weather vehicle.

Be smart.

Sponsored
OP
OP
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
4H and 4L should only be used when OFF-ROAD or if you get into a bind and need it to get unstuck. Relying on 4WD to prevent you from getting stuck is like carrying an umbrella to keep it from raining. Use 4WD only when you need it.

What you're driving as a very capable off-road vehicle, not a go-anywhere all weather vehicle.

Be smart.
Pretty much how I played it. Appreciate the quick response!

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't see the Bronco being different than any 4wd vehicle...On snow covered or wet road I wouldn't have any issue running 4H at a prudent speed.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Pretty much how I played it. Appreciate the quick response!
Well the most important component in this case... or really any case... is the tire selection. Nothing can work... NOTHING, if the tires do not work. You can have the most advanced 4x4 system in the world and it will not do a bit of good if you can not transfer that to the driving surface. And on snow, on the road, you do not need 4x4, you just need good tires that are made for the situation. And no tire is good at all situations. Although all season tires try, they are a compromise.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I don't see the Bronco being different than any 4wd vehicle...On snow covered or wet road I wouldn't have any issue running 4H at a prudent speed.
Boy I would! 4H on wet??? hell no! even if the gears are the same ratio they are NEVER perfect. That means either the front or the rear is going to turn a tiny bit more than the other side even when running with open diffs. That creates bind and it is hard on the drive train.

Hard pack ice... okay... as long as there is lots of easy slip. But really it only helps you in acceleration. Does not help in stopping and that little tiny difference between the front and the rear will/can actually create more slippage when turning than you would have otherwise. Then again with the front turning it can help pull around a corner.....

Unless you have a lot of slippage.... (like hard pack snow or ice) I would not use 4H.....

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Boy I would! 4H on wet??? hell no! even if the gears are the same ratio they are NEVER perfect. That means either the front or the rear is going to turn a tiny bit more than the other side even when running with open diffs. That creates bind and it is hard on the drive train.

Hard pack ice... okay... as long as there is lots of easy slip. But really it only helps you in acceleration. Does not help in stopping and that little tiny difference between the front and the rear will/can actually create more slippage when turning than you would have otherwise. Then again with the front turning it can help pull around a corner.....

Unless you have a lot of slippage.... (like hard pack snow or ice) I would not use 4H.....
To each his own I guess. Over the last 40yrs of driving I've driven Ford, GM, Dodge, Yotas, Nissans, Jeeps and Land Rovers on wet pavement w/o issue. The Rovers (Defenders & Discos) are full time 4wd (not AWD) and no issue on dry pavement except tire wear.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Well I guess I just believe that I do not want to put the additional bind on my driveline.... Having worked as a mechanic, taught gear design at the university, and 40 years of driving in the rockies.... I just do not like the extra wear and bind for essentially very little benefit.

But like you said, to each his own.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To each his own I guess. Over the last 40yrs of driving I've driven Ford, GM, Dodge, Yotas, Nissans, Jeeps and Land Rovers on wet pavement w/o issue. The Rovers (Defenders & Discos) are full time 4wd (not AWD) and no issue on dry pavement except tire wear.
the disco's and defenders are operating with the center diff unlocked (full time 4WD aka AWD) until you pull the center diff lever.

the big bend is either 2H or 4H. 4H is the equivalent of having the center diff locked.

Either way, i wouldn't operating 4H on the highway unless it was snow covered enough that the pavement wasn’t visible.

Last edited: