First Name
Jourdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, not as a function at least. With the right set of tools, sure. ;)
So it isn’t considered part of the rear clamshell?
Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Mango&Moose

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion xB / Toyota Sienna. RIP my 96 Ranger Splash
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank Christ the black modular top rumors of $4,000 went quietly into the night of 2020.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

It is until it isn’t. Give it enough time, the hinge fails where the screw goes through the glass. Ask me how I know!

Sponsored

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m debating on waiting for the shadow black modular top but I will not wait if the difference between the two is only the color. I am so confused on this - I hear the modular has side windows that can be removed and the MIC doesn’t etc.
My dealer claims the only difference is color but I’m not too confident in their level of knowledge on anything Bronco.

Can someone please provide me with this info? Right now I have my deposit in for a Badlands Squatch in Area 51. I have a 7/17/20 reservation so pretty early and I don’t want to wait for a top that is no different other than color. I can always get the top painted - and the mirrors and fenders while I’m at it.
It's not just color, the modular Is smooth and made of a different material, and you are correct on the windows

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not made in the USA. :(
Actually the modular tops will be made in Michigan at a brand new factory which is the reason for the hold up. The company is called Webasto.

The MIC Units are the foreign units

IMG_2452.PNG

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Actually the modular tops will be made in Michigan at a brand new factory which is the reason for the hold up. The company is called Webasto.

The MIC Units are the foreign units
All tops will be made in Michigan

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All tops will be made in Michigan
As of now the MICs are not according to my sources, but Webasto probably will make those too when that factory gets up and running

Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have never liked the body-color tops on the Jeep, just don't look right to me. Also if you do any wheeling believe the painted tops are much easier to scratch up and it shows more when you do.
You can't have a white top unless you get a white Bronco with a body color top...then wrap in your fave heritage color. I drive my F150 24/7 through trees (although recently trimmed) and I have never noticed a single scratch on top. I ruthlessly park under trees that scrape the top as well. Ruthlessly park under those oak trees! haha

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It is attached to the rear clamshell. I was just saying that if you REALLY wanted to remove it you can, but in the same way you can remove a steering wheel or seat. You need tools.

JayKay

Badlands
First Name
Jourdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It is attached to the rear clamshell. I was just saying that if you REALLY wanted to remove it you can, but in the same way you can remove a steering wheel or seat. You need tools.
OK...it could be the booze talking at this point, but I don't get it. If the documentation below shows that the clamshell is designed to be removable, why wouldn't the rear cargo glass be included in that? Are you saying that it requires tools just like the back of the MIC top requires tools, or are you saying that the rear cargo glass wasn't intended to be removed?

@ZackDanger As the local expert on the tops, can the entire rear section of the modular top be removed similar to how the MIC top can be removed? I know the modular top has the unique rear quarter panel windows that pop out, but was the entire rear clamshell, including the rear cargo glass, designed to be taken off?

Ford Bronco MIC Hardtop vs Modular Painted 1609474021209

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OK...it could be the booze talking at this point, but I don't get it. If the documentation below shows that the clamshell is designed to be removable, why wouldn't the rear cargo glass be included in that? Are you saying that it requires tools just like the back of the MIC top requires tools, or are you saying that the rear cargo glass wasn't intended to be removed?

@ZackDanger As the local expert on the tops, can the entire rear section of the modular top be removed similar to how the MIC top can be removed? I know the modular top has the unique rear quarter panel windows that pop out, but was the entire rear clamshell, including the rear cargo glass, designed to be taken off?

1609474021209.png
Maybe it is the booze... but I don’t understand the confusion.

With both the MIC and Modular tops... the entire rear clam shell is removable. It is shaped and designed to attach to the vehicle in exactly the same way. They’re basically the same top in this regard, just made out of different material.

(Additionally, the two side windows on the mod clam shell are removable. They pop out of the frame.)

On both tops, the rear-most flip up glass is bolted to the clamshell at the hinges. When you remove the hard top, the rear glass comes with it. It’s permanently attached to the top because you have the wiper, washer, gas struts, and defrost hardware in it. The rear top and glass are exactly like how they are found on the Jeep Wrangler.

Ford Bronco MIC Hardtop vs Modular Painted 1609474765987

(Ignore that “diving board” sticking out over the seats... the Bronco doesn’t have that. Ford fixed that obvious oversight)

I think maybe you’re confused because there was a ton of discussion here a while ago with people asking if they could take off *just* the flip up glass (and leave the clam shell on)... and we had a hard time explaining that it was bolted to the top... so I think maybe people are just eager to make that point again and it comes across as sounding like the glass isn’t removable at all?
Sponsored

Last edited: