First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've long been wondering what the penalty was for selling an order to someone else.

I've heard it's severe but no idea what it is.

I doubt many would take an order from Alice and sell it to Bob directly. But what's to stop a dealer doing a price gouge at delivery via ADM or some other made up fees? Or intentionally massively under pricing trade in? And price Alice out of completing the transaction? Dealer could just sheepishly be like "Alice didn't want it" and now it's their 's to sell?

For a while, a bronco sold on a dealer floor would be able to command a huge premium I'd assume. You'd have a furious would be customer, but a happy new bronco owner plus a fat stack for the dealer.

Edit: what recourse would Alice have? Could flame the dealer in reviews obviously but that is the equivalent of doing nothing

Anyone have specifics on what ford is threatening so this doesn't happen?
Sponsored

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Actually a good point. When you go in to place your order the price should be agreed upon then and paperwork signed. If they deviate from that then you may have some recourse.

Taco_Sexual

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's a valid point but I can't imagine a dealership would want to take the blow to their reputation and lose long-term customers for parts/service. I'm sure there will be some cases like this with behind-closed-doors deals being made with customers (that don't have a reservation) that approach a dealer and tell them, "I'll give you 'x' amount above MSRP if you can get me a MY21 Bronco." Everyone has their price...

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the good faith contract you sign when you order, Ford takes a dim view of bait and switch.

Firefly

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford F250 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
One is already compromising the value of a trade-in simply by not selling it for retail. The fact that the trade value will be negotiated later than the bronco price and final dealer selection further dissempowers the customer. Nothing can be done about it except taking the trade out of the equation.

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OP
OP
chownd

chownd

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's a valid point but I can't imagine a dealership would want to take the blow to their reputation and lose long-term customers for parts/service. I'm sure there will be some cases like this with behind-closed-doors deals being made with customers (that don't have a reservation) that approach a dealer and tell them, "I'll give you 'x' amount above MSRP if you can get me a MY21 Bronco." Everyone has their price...
With so many people bopping around to different dealers then their normal one price hunting, there's not much risk of losing a loyal customer.

There'd be zero legal recourse for this and I can't imagine the would be customer wanting to fight that fight.

Ford or other manufacturers must have some sort of function discouraging this (or maybe incentivizing not doing this, carrot vs stick). Really curious what it'd be.

Some people are traveling hundreds of miles to pick up their product. I don't think any of the dealers on here would do this at all fwiw but if the dealer pisses someone off out of state, why would they care? Go to any dealers reviews and there are a couple all caps, one star reviews for every one of them. A few bad reviews online isn't going to hurt their bottom line one bit.

There's got to be something

NonfatWombat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22MY Badlands 4-Door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Although the details are still a little murky as to what situations Ford deems worthy of penalizing a dealership - my understanding is the penalty will likely be reductions to their future Bronco stock allocation. I don't think "savvy" dealers are prepared to risk that.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Although the details are still a little murky as to what situations Ford deems worthy of penalizing a dealership - my understanding is the penalty will likely be reductions to their future Bronco stock allocation. I don't think "savvy" dealers are prepared to risk that.
I don't think Bronco allocations would bother them. However, F-Series allocations would get their complete and undivided attention.

Sponsored
OP
OP
chownd

chownd

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I get that but if they do bait and switch on price, how would ford know?

"Hey you ordered a bronco for Bob? Why'd you sell it to Alice?"

"Oh .... Yeah they didn't want it ?"

Basically what's the number for the bat phone to call Mama Ford and report a unscrupulous dealer? And what would they do?

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Dealers like Granger along with Zach, and Albert @Granger Ford are putting their reputations on the line. And that reputation runs all the way from their loyal customers, to other Ford dealers all the way up to Ford corporate. I can't see them running a scam just to get one Bronco to one buyer for a quick buck. Once ones reputation is ruined it never recovers to the fullest. Myself, and I highly suspect Zach, and Albert hold that reputation dearly, and do not want to screw it up for a little money.

NonfatWombat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22MY Badlands 4-Door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I get that but if they do bait and switch on price, how would ford know?

"Hey you ordered a bronco for Bob? Why'd you sell it to Alice?"

"Oh .... Yeah they didn't want it ?"

Basically what's the number for the bat phone to call Mama Ford and report a unscrupulous dealer? And what would they do?
Like I said, it's murky. I imagine Ford will be monitoring deliveries closely for this very thing. I'm sure they'll have an algorithm in place to flag customer name changes that are above a certain threshold. All speculation on my part.

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't know how your dealer operates but when I've ordered vehicles in the past we both sign a purchase and sales agreement which is a legally binding contract. All the costs are layed out in the contract. If they choose to not sell it to me there are legal recourses.
Sponsored