First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I get that but if they do bait and switch on price, how would ford know?

"Hey you ordered a bronco for Bob? Why'd you sell it to Alice?"

"Oh .... Yeah they didn't want it ?"

Basically what's the number for the bat phone to call Mama Ford and report a unscrupulous dealer? And what would they do?
Ford will absolutely be tracking who the order belongs to and who actually purchases the vehicle. When buyer doesn't match order, the dealer gets a black mark. They do NOT want people buying that didn't order and will know.
Sponsored

OP
OP
chownd

chownd

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Dealers like Granger along with Zach, and Albert @Granger Ford are putting their reputations on the line. And that reputation runs all the way from their loyal customers, other Ford dealers all the way up to Ford corporate. I can't see them running a scam just to get one Bronco to one buyer for a quick buck. Once ones reputation is ruined it never recovers to the fullest. Myself, and I highly suspect Zach, and Albert hold that reputation dearly, and do not want to screw it up for a little money.
Oh yeah I wouldn't expect that from Granger or anyone else who's been super engaged or knowledgeable here or elsewhere. But for the other's... IDK.

I'm just trying to assess my risk as well as an intellectual curiosity. If I have my res at a dealer I don't like at MSRP but I know is going to be fair and truthful when it comes to pricing, vs an unknown dealer who says I can save 1k...

If I had any real assurance that they wouldn't play games with numbers at delivery, awesome! I can save myself a thousand bucks. But without it, there's a risk

Sorry for all this btw. I don't want to come of negative at all. Nature of my profession, it's close to red teaming for any techies here. Figure out how something works, look to exploit it, report findings so someone doesn't get exploited.

It's hard to turn off though. I never realized that until my wife and I were touring hospitals to figure out where to deliver my first born. They were explaining how the security system works so no baby is accidentally swapped or stolen from the hospital... And in my head the gears were spinning on how to pull off a baby heist. I had to actively tell my brain to shut up because Lord knows it was the last thing my wife wanted to hear from me ?

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
After a number of productive discussion with my dealer - who I, and my family, have purchased a number of vehicles from over the years, the only 'unknown' upon the arrival of the Bronco will be the trade allowance. I feel okay about that though as this dealer has always treated me very fair and I expect that same thig to happen later this summer (or fall . . . ).

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Oh yeah I wouldn't expect that from Granger or anyone else who's been super engaged or knowledgeable here or elsewhere. But for the other's... IDK.

I'm just trying to assess my risk as well as an intellectual curiosity. If I have my res at a dealer I don't like at MSRP but I know is going to be fair and truthful when it comes to pricing, vs an unknown dealer who says I can save 1k...

If I had any real assurance that they wouldn't play games with numbers at delivery, awesome! I can save myself a thousand bucks. But without it, there's a risk

Sorry for all this btw. I don't want to come of negative at all. Nature of my profession, it's close to red teaming for any techies here. Figure out how something works, look to exploit it, report findings so someone doesn't get exploited.

It's hard to turn off though. I never realized that until my wife and I were touring hospitals to figure out where to deliver my first born. They were explaining how the security system works so no baby is accidentally swapped or stolen from the hospital... And in my head the gears were spinning on how to pull off a baby heist. I had to actively tell my brain to shut up because Lord knows it was the last thing my wife wanted to hear from me ?
Not to worry J, your thoughts are valid. I would never go with a dealer that just cold calls me, or pops up and disappears in a few days. An ounce of caution, and all that stuff you know. No matter how much savings a dealer offers we have to be comfortable with that dealer. With dealers like Granger, who has a big presence on the forum, I felt good going with them. Also, their quick replies to my questions helped. My local dealer (who I've bought many new cars from. As recently as my new '20 Ranger) didn't give my any warm, and fuzzies when I ask them about their pricing on the Bronco, so I knew I would be looking elsewhere. :)

I've bought from out of town before, so I was less hesitant to do so again. It's easier than one would think if the selling dealer is knowledgeable of the process.

Sponsored

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

XCR440

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, 22 Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford hasn't said what the margin of error is. I believe there will be some, but I don't know how they'll do it. I do think it will be a very thin, maybe first one is a warning or something like that.

I don't see it being a huge issue, I expect customers to back out, but if scheduling is done as normal, I can contact them the week their order will pull and verify everything's good, so then we'd only be in the normal 4-6 week wait time so not a long wait to have things change. If they're ready to back out before scheduling, their order just gets prioritized to the back of the line and cancelled when 2022's happen, this is assuming most dealers have more orders than 21 allocations.

I can see the rare occurrence where the buyer backs out for some reason after seeing the unit, for example I had a customer buy a 2002 Thunderbird that after 8 months when it came in he found out he couldn't sit in it with the roof on (he bought it anyway and never used the roof), so there are and will be reasonable justification for some, but they should be very rare.

The only issues would be if the dealer was gaming the system and had fake reservations or if customers are gaming the system and doing multiple reservations to take the first one they get ( I see this as more of an issue than dealer fraud). I'm not worried about it since all my reservations are local, but I would be requiring a large deposit if I were getting a lot of out of the area customers or any unusual deals to protect myself and my customers orders.

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Don't know how your dealer operates but when I've ordered vehicles in the past we both sign a purchase and sales agreement which is a legally binding contract. All the costs are layed out in the contract. If they choose to not sell it to me there are legal recourses.
Don’t they have to have a VIN to fill out a purchase agreement?

OP
OP
chownd

chownd

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Be hard for that dealer to sell that Bronco that mysteriously caught on fire in the middle of the night...?
A subie dealer near me back when I was in VT in college royally pissed off a customer, selling them a lemon apparently.

So what did that guy who bought the car do? Most of us would grumble, complain etc but if we didn't get the outcome we wanted we'd find a way to ditch the car to minimize our financial cost right? Not this dude

He turned his car into a huge sign, airing all his grievances, and parked it legally on the street right next to the entrance of the lot. It was so f'n funny. You just know that practically every customer asked their salesperson about that sign.

There were no parking time limits there but no overnight parking. He moved that thing damn near every morning and night for at least 2 years (and then I moved). I often wonder if he's still doing it tenish years later...

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don’t they have to have a VIN to fill out a purchase agreement?
Good point. Not sure how that worked. Clearly the vin was not available at time of order for me in the past. However, regardless of the vin, the contract was still for a specific vehicle with specific build and price. In my case it was an explorer sport, if they ordered 3 identical ones I wouldn't care which one was mine if that makes sense.

Sponsored

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Good point. Not sure how that worked. Clearly the vin was not available at time of order for me in the past. However, regardless of the vin, the contract was still for a specific vehicle with specific build and price. In my case it was an explorer sport, if they ordered 3 identical ones I wouldn't care which one was mine if that makes sense.
They’ll probably use the reservation number to attach to the ordered bronco before the VIN gets assigned.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

on special orders, aka like reservations, there is an order number / dealer info that is trackable up until the VIN is assigned at scheduled. Its nothing new.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

A subie dealer near me back when I was in VT in college royally pissed off a customer, selling them a lemon apparently.

So what did that guy who bought the car do? Most of us would grumble, complain etc but if we didn't get the outcome we wanted we'd find a way to ditch the car to minimize our financial cost right? Not this dude

He turned his car into a huge sign, airing all his grievances, and parked it legally on the street right next to the entrance of the lot. It was so f'n funny. You just know that practically every customer asked their salesperson about that sign.

There were no parking time limits there but no overnight parking. He moved that thing damn near every morning and night for at least 2 years (and then I moved). I often wonder if he's still doing it tenish years later...
We had the same here, courts ruled against him and for the dealer.

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/article209961589.html

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For me at this point, I'm going with a dealer that has been around a long time here in NM. I will base my doing business with them on what kind a deal we come up with. They have done nothing to drive me away so far.
Sponsored