Haystack

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think sticking with the generic truck trims (XL, XLT, Lariat) would of made more sense. People are familiar with these trims and the options that they bring to the table.
Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I see it this way, all Bronco's start out as a base at the beginning of the built line. Then as they go they change trims by slapping on trim specific options as will as other options that run pretty much across all trims. It might have been easier to make many of the things that make up the trims levels just add on options. With just the Base, Outer Banks, and Badlands trims it would have been much simpler, and not as confusing for the buyer to pick a trim, and build their Bronco.

Disclaimer: But who am I to say how Ford should do business. :)

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly I feel the exact opposite, I thought the Bronco would have had more options and availabilities than they did.
Agreeā€¦.ā€¦ā€¦
ā€¦ā€¦and also appreciate your correct syntax of would have, should have, etc.
ā€œofā€ what, OP?

Bronco2021RV

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura rdx
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was just going to say that. Instead of creating trims to fit a niche, put out a base model and let them pick the options. I would have a much different build if that were the case.
Whatā€™s funny about this idea is for me i would probably have spent more money that the 42k Iā€™m into the badlands.šŸ¤£

Sponsored

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'll take the STX version.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Build complexity stems from variables in how the vehicle is put together. Things that change the process for the workers/machines on the line. Having both 2 and 4 doors models is an example. Or the two different engines. Not including the prewiring for the tow package/hard tops could also represent added complexity. Obviously, things like these presented a profit/sales advantage that outweighed the complexity.

The different trims, however, really don't change the manufacturing process. Regardless which suspension is going on vehicle A, B, and C, it all bolts up the same way. Same for the transfer cases, front differentials, dashboard, seats, etc.

The build process informs the line worker what part number is needed and it's put in the exact same way as all the others. The trims don't come into play except that this vehicle gets part xyz and the next one gets part abc.

The trims vs packages vs a la carte options thing is completely artificial. Ford marketing even calls out that "there's a Bronco for every need." The trims are stories we're being told. Base for the "hardcore off-roader that wants to build it themselves." Black Diamond for the "weekend warrier." Badlands for the "extreme off-roader looking for the best of the best." Etc, Etc.

Packages were limited because it pushes people into the higher trims. and that's the same reason you'll never see a la carte options.

Darforce

Black Diamond
First Name
Darlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru crosstrek/ Mazda miata
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Agree. Itā€™s too many. I would have started with a trimmed down big bend. Off-road package with with washout seats and bigger tires then sold all the other stuff separate. Let people get whatever they want.

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

But wouldn't less trims mean less parts spread around?
Not really. If you only have 100 2.7L engines available, you only have 100, regardless of whether there's a combo of 50 Badlands, 30 Wildtrak, 20 Outer Banks or 50 Base and 50 OBX. Either way, it's 100.
If anything, more trims makes it easier for them to fully build ones that may not have options available that have part restrictions.

Whoa. Don't know why that other guy reacted the way he did. But I agree with you and felt this way for a while

Not just less trims, but more differentiation between them. Besides wheels and grills, there's little way to tell the trims apart from the exterior. It'd be nice if going forward there were more unique factors between the trims. But I'm sure Ford did crazy amounts of market analysis and had jeep as an example to aim for. So what do we know šŸ¤·šŸ¾ā€ā™‚ļø
But that's how all vehicles are differentiated by trim. Not sure what else you're expecting/looking for differentiation wise via trim?

Agree with this- keep it simple approach. Then everyone add their options. Or maybe launch the first year with one model, then MY 2022 with more packages.

Perhaps Ford was not ready to launch the Bronco- suppliers may not have been ready to make certain parts in volume for production. Like the MIC tops for instance. The supplier may have been able to make a few prototypes although they are now failing specifications in production volume. Although Ford is ultimately responsible and should have done better auditing the supply chain to be able to produce parts within specification and also in high volume.
I think everyone vastly underestimates the effect covid shutdowns had on all industries, and that the launch would've otherwise gone pretty smoothly if it weren't for that.

Sponsored

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Was just thinking with the current situation and all the parts shortages Ford should of just had a couple trims base black diamond outer banks and badlands wild track and big bend should of not been a possibility they just donā€™t seem to make sense. Plus with all the parts constraints seems like ford left themselves short handed with all the different models to make
Iā€™m completely fine with what you just said and Iā€™m willing to just pick whatever Ford says is available...but can you imagine all the anger from the members on here? How many trims do we have and people are still not happy and still undecided on their build...

Edited: donā€™t forget about color options šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford should of not made so many bronco models

Was just thinking with the current situation and all the parts shortages Ford shouldof just had a couple trims base black diamond outer banks and badlands wild track and big bend should of not been a possibility they just donā€™t seem to make sense.
I think you should HAVE proofread your post.

Ford should HAVE kicked Webasto to the curb a long time ago.
Sponsored