Sponsored

Tow capacity will keep me from switching...

codydb19

Big Bend
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Everything about the Bronco appeals to me. I’d love to see a day where I can take my roof and doors off and tow my 5000 lb boat while doing so, that just seems like America to me...
I get that and maybe/hopefully in a few years there will be a bronco pickup that will meet your needs. But asking a Bronco/Wrangler/hell really any midsize SUV to do that isn't going to happen.

But in the mean time if you really want that vision of America, jeep already makes a product for exactly what you describe.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

ok, so I just skimmed through 4 pages so good chance I could've missed something. I found it odd that Ford throws up 3500 lbs right out of the gate. And that's standard all models. But then when you go up 1 level to the Big Bend all of a sudden a Towing Package is listed as optional. My thinking is they'll bump up to a class III hitch and hopefully get us closer to 4500-5000 lbs at least.

And I don't know about new Wranglers, but with gearing the way it was (2017 Wrangler JKU), even some of the 4 doors were rated at 2000 lbs.. I know, my wife drives one and it can't tow for shit.

Chadillac

Base
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
ok, so I just skimmed through 4 pages so good chance I could've missed something. I found it odd that Ford throws up 3500 lbs right out of the gate. And that's standard all models. But then when you go up 1 level to the Big Bend all of a sudden a Towing Package is listed as optional. My thinking is they'll bump up to a class III hitch and hopefully get us closer to 4500-5000 lbs at least.

And I don't know about new Wranglers, but with gearing the way it was (2017 Wrangler JKU), even some of the 4 doors were rated at 2000 lbs.. I know, my wife drives one and it can't tow for shit.
I would almost assume the opposite. I think 3500 is a placeholder as the MAX achievable with tow package. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Sponsored

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I would almost assume the opposite. I think 3500 is a placeholder as the MAX achievable with tow package. Hopefully I’m wrong.
I hope you're wrong too. If that were the case you'd think they'd just have rated the Base @ 2000 lbs. Then when you move up to a trim that can get the towing package throw in the 3500 lbs.

You know in so many ways I get the aggravation many people feel right now. With all the delays and everything else... They really couldn't have got us a better listing of specs? Seriously.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I consider the 3,500 lb max towing figure as preliminary. There will almost certainly be variation between the models. No info has been released on a tow package, and what it may or may not include.

That said, I think the 4 Door Bronco should feel pretty steady towing 3,500 lb. The Bronco is not super light, has decent wheelbase, good available power, and good gearing. For heavier trailers, a WDH can help out soft suspension if needed.

My 2008 GMC Canyon had 242 HP and 242 Ft.Lb, and only a 4 speed automatic. It was rated to tow around 5,500 lb, but it would have to rev at 4k RPM to tow 2,500-3,000 lb up grades in PA. I would not have wanted to tow a 5,000 lb travel trailer with that truck, even if it was rated for it.

Some vehicles tow pretty well at their max rating, others not so much.

AndrewS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The Ranger's towing capacity without the tow package is also 3500lbs so I still have hope. If the tow package can bump it up to ~5500 there is a good chance I will own another Bronco.

Just need to see that and how much the auto trans, 2.7, and Sasquatch package are going to cost.

Desertsailing

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I would love to be able to tow a 16 ft Airstream Bambi with the 4 Door FE I reserved, but with a dry weight of just under 3000 lbs it makes me nervous. The Airstream has a max weight of 3500lbs which is the same as the Bronco’s towing capacity, but that seems too close for comfort for me. Especially on some of these roads in Colorado!

I was hoping for a towing capacity of 5k like the 4 runner. A girl can dream!

Sponsored

Todkavonic

First Edition
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Ducati, Guzzi, and the Jeep.
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
We had a similar discussion over on the jeep forum. Given the niche nature of the Bronco and Jeep, I could see a market in a dedicated towing package: bigger brakes, stiffer suspension, front end weighting, reinforced bits for higher tongue weight, etc. Some people clearly want the look and appear willing to give up a percentage of off-road prowess as a trade-off.

Nate

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
We had a similar discussion over on the jeep forum. Given the niche nature of the Bronco and Jeep, I could see a market in a dedicated towing package: bigger brakes, stiffer suspension, front end weighting, reinforced bits for higher tongue weight, etc. Some people clearly want the look and appear willing to give up a percentage of off-road prowess as a trade-off.

Nate
Interesting. Why not a Grand Cherokee? Is it the roof and door thing? Those can tow and go off road quite well.
Sponsored

Last edited: