Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Composites are a great opportunity for a company that wants to invest and profit. 3D printing, rapid manufacturing, Stereolithography, and other new technologies are perfect for a Modular top design. A new company could really reap a great contract doing projects like this.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The new company has to find a facility if they don't already have one. Ford has to provide them with all the tooling. They have to hire people, train people. It won't happen overnight. They have to get the ingredients to build the tops. shipping racks.....
It could be this company is already operating and producing products for other brands, (Jeep)?
I don't think they plan on going to the Home Depot parking lot and try to hire someone to produce these. They'll be looking for someone well established and turning out quality products.

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't see why Ford can't just build these themselves. To AZshot's point, during WWII, Ford was able to drop everything and produce 87,000 aircraft, with finished planes rolling off assembly lines in 6 months. But plastic roofs? No way that's too hard. Thank god B-17s didn't need plastic roofs or we'd be speaking german.
Guten Tag 🍻

Sponsored

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't see why Ford can't just build these themselves. To AZshot's point, during WWII, Ford was able to drop everything and produce 87,000 aircraft, with finished planes rolling off assembly lines in 6 months. But plastic roofs? No way that's too hard. Thank god B-17s didn't need plastic roofs or we'd be speaking german.
You can only do so much in house. The trend today is 3rd party manufacturing. The company I worked at for 37 years had a study done looking for a 10 year plan. One of 3 key things they were told was they need more 3PO. They've since sold 2 plants and farmed out ALL manufacturing and taking about 5k jobs with it.

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So how did that process work out with Webasto, yeah, the same robust process, or lack of it, they used to pick the new one. And this time, they picked one in a panic, in months, not years.
Stay tuned...
OK...so we know For-Basto is no longer a couple...at least for the MODs. But, do we know 'who' told 'who' to take a flying leap? Not at all clear to me.

My MIC guess is Ford's unreasonable requirements for weight & cost doomed that puppy from the get-go. And guess what...the MOD top has a new fabricator - but its brought to you by the very same engineering/design team that brought you the MIC

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OK...so we know For-Basto is no longer a couple...at least for the MODs. But, do we know 'who' told 'who' to take a flying leap? Not at all clear to me.

My MIC guess is Ford's unreasonable requirements for weight & cost doomed that puppy from the get-go. And guess what...the MOD top has a new fabricator - but its brought to you by the very same engineering/design team that brought you the MIC
A statement here suggests Ford is the one that pulled the plug. Not sure how reliable this article is.

https://broncobastards.com/blogs/ne...-taking-over-the-webasto-plant-in-plymouth-mi

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs