Sponsored

Can a dealer "redo" sales contract AFTER you sign?

TAMPABAYPATRIOTS

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BRONCO OBX, 2021 Tesla
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just bought a new Bronco, and dealer applied a Ford cash rebate to the sales contract. After signing, we're being told that rebate was meant to apply only if we opted for an extended warranty (which we didn't). Now they say they might have to "redo" the contract if Ford rejects it, even though we've had the car home for a few days, down-payment check cleared, and the bank we're financing with sent us our account number with the balance info from the signed contract!?

Something doesn't seem right here, can they actually make us pay the rebate back if it truly gets rejected?? I never buy new cars, so this is foreign territory to me.
Bullshit move by dealer. No dealer can tell u that you have to buy an optional product. This is something that FORD will not reject that contract.
Sponsored

CGCarolinaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base (Hubby) 2021 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just bought a new Bronco, and dealer applied a Ford cash rebate to the sales contract. After signing, we're being told that rebate was meant to apply only if we opted for an extended warranty (which we didn't). Now they say they might have to "redo" the contract if Ford rejects it, even though we've had the car home for a few days, down-payment check cleared, and the bank we're financing with sent us our account number with the balance info from the signed contract!?

Something doesn't seem right here, can they actually make us pay the rebate back if it truly gets rejected?? I never buy new cars, so this is foreign territory to me.
I was always told once you sign the car is yours no backing out. That should apply to them as well. Signed contract should be iron clad!!!

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"I think you should get a lawyer so it's all good, man!"

- Slippin' Jimmy

bikesandguitars

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco Wildtrak, ‘22 Tundra TRD PRO
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Depending on which State you reside, generally speaking, either party may cancel a contract within 24/48 /72 hours.

frdfan

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BB Sasquatch HPRM
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If your bank already has your account set up, and the bank is in possession of the title as the lien holder, the bank has already paid the dealer for the vehicle. The only one at this point that has any ownership stake in the truck is the OP and the bank.

Sponsored

Ggerobb

Black Diamond
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 jeep grand cherokee laredo, 2022 bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Maybe they are just trying to strong arm you into an extended warranty after the fact.

By the way, I just got a letter marked "important - open immediately", stating that I bought a Bronco, and some extended vehicle service plan is set to soon go up in price, if I don't buy the plan now. Some company called Endurance, I assume my info was sold to them, and they are wanting to sell me a 3rd party warranty.
I get that spam all the time. File 13 it

jrollo7

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Maybe they are just trying to strong arm you into an extended warranty after the fact.

By the way, I just got a letter marked "important - open immediately", stating that I bought a Bronco, and some extended vehicle service plan is set to soon go up in price, if I don't buy the plan now. Some company called Endurance, I assume my info was sold to them, and they are wanting to sell me a 3rd party warranty.
exactly. Endurance is one of the top 3 warranty companies.

OrangecrushBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You have a legally binding contract, under no circumstances would they let you make a beneficial udjustment. Within a certain time frame extended warranties and add ons like window tint ect. can be added or removed but only IF you want and they haven't already been installed. More often then not dealerships sell 3rd party extended warranties rather then Ford's. They make extra commissions and kickbacks off of these so they are likely just trying to swindle into buying theirs.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks everyone for the feedback!
So my update from the dealer was that they are still arguing with Ford about my rebate and my purchase would either be finalized or bounced today.

Here are some additional details that I've discovered thanks to your replies:

1. The contact is not with Ford Credit. It's a Michigan retail sales installment contract between me as the buyer and the dealer listed as the seller.

2. The rebate amount is listed as "rebate" in the contract, not specifying anything that it could possibly be tied to. No program number or anything.

3. Bank account is established with the correct amount financed as signed for. I'm not sure if they have the title though. I see that this state does electronic titles so I'd have to look into that more, maybe the DMV.

4. The contract states in bold type that this state does not allow for a "cooling off period". It says that after you sign, the contract can only be canceled if the seller agrees or for legal cause. In fact I don't see any fine print at all that says we have to come to the table if there is a mistake or anything similar, but I'm not a lawyer. The only thing I see is an arbitration clause.

5. I don't think the warranty they were offering was the official Ford ESP. The terminology didn't match up with what I see on Granger or Flood Ford. I do plan on getting the official ESP from either one of those, but have been waiting to see what happens with this first.

6. Does using the A/X/Z plan add any validity to Ford approving the use of cash offers after signing a sales contract? And if so, wouldn't the dealer be responsible at that point?

To make this more complicated, the dealer does have the extra key fob. During the sale we asked if it was OK to write a personal check for the down-payment and they said they'd just hang onto the other keys until we come back for the accessory we bought (had to be ordered). Hopefully that won't become another issue.

I'll post again when I hear anything. Love this truck, but will be much happier when this is finalized.

Last edited:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sure you can get a lawyer, but that will cost you more than the rebate most likely.

Also, there have been plenty of people who bought a car over the weekend, then come monday their loan approval had a hiccup and they have to bring the car back...not saying this is the case but the idea that there is no way in hell the dealer doesn't have recourse is wishful thinking.

If there was some special rebate that was involved and the rebate terms were not met, then of course the buyer loses out. The big question is what is this mysterious rebate?

SpringTXOR

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you have not given them the down payment then the contract is not completely fulfilled and 100% funded. The dealer can cancel the deal based on what ever terms are in the exit clause of the contract.

Last edited:

Dunning Kruger

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4D OBX 2.7L Bronco, 2015 Audi A7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So my update from the dealer was that they are still arguing with Ford about my rebate and my purchase would either be finalized or bounced today.

1. The contact is not with Ford Credit. It's a Michigan retail sales installment contract between me as the buyer and the dealer listed as the seller.

2. The rebate amount is listed as "rebate" in the contract, not specifying anything that it could possibly be tied to. No program number or anything.

3. Bank account is established with the correct amount financed as signed for. I'm not sure if they have the title though. I see that this state does electronic titles so I'd have to look into that more, maybe the DMV.

4. The contract states in bold type that this state does not allow for a "cooling off period". It says that after you sign, the contract can only be canceled if the seller agrees or for legal cause. In fact I don't see any fine print at all that says we have to come to the table if there is a mistake or anything similar, but I'm not a lawyer. The only thing I see is an arbitration clause.

5. I don't think the warranty they were offering was the official Ford ESP. The terminology didn't match up with what I see on Granger or Flood Ford. I do plan on getting the official ESP from either one of those, but have been waiting to see what happens with this first.

6. Does using the A/X/Z plan add any validity to Ford approving the use of cash offers after signing a sales contract? And if so, wouldn't the dealer be responsible at that point?

To make this more complicated, the dealer does have the extra key fob. During the sale we asked if it was OK to write a personal check for the down-payment and they said they'd just hang onto the other keys until we come back for the accessory we bought (had to be ordered). Hopefully that won't become another issue.

I'll post again when I hear anything. Love this truck, but will be much happier when this is finalized.
Uhhh… the issue is between the dealer and ford.

There is no purchase to “bounce.” The purchase is done. You have the car

They screwed up and it is on them. Get your other fob.

Don’t let them bs you

Last edited:

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base

All you needed to say was the first one. It's financed, and all the paperwork was signed. As far as the law is concerned, you now have ownership of the vehicle. They can't keep your keyfob as that would be the same as stealing.

Generally dealers can pull a stunt if you finance with their financing agent because they will have you sign a document that states if they can't complete the financing (assign it) then you have to bring the vehicle back. your dealer may have thought you were in that situation not recognizing that don't have that power anymore.

You didn't say if you ordered it or just bought it off the lot. If you bought it off the lot, then the Rebate is suspicious. I wonder if that vehicle was one that was ordered, not a stock order, so it has some price protection in the system for it that the dealer was going to try to get. If so they will find they can't get it if the person who ordered the bronco isn't the same person that paid for it.
Sponsored