Sponsored

Can a dealer "redo" sales contract AFTER you sign?

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Update #1 here:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...es-contract-after-you-sign.80480/post-2036561

Original post:
Just bought a new Bronco, and dealer applied a Ford cash rebate to the sales contract. After signing, we're being told that rebate was meant to apply only if we opted for an extended warranty (which we didn't). Now they say they might have to "redo" the contract if Ford rejects it, even though we've had the car home for a few days, down-payment check cleared, and the bank we're financing with sent us our account number with the balance info from the signed contract!?

Something doesn't seem right here, can they actually make us pay the rebate back if it truly gets rejected?? I never buy new cars, so this is foreign territory to me.
not legally
Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
So my update from the dealer was that they are still arguing with Ford about my rebate and my purchase would either be finalized or bounced today.

Here are some additional details that I've discovered thanks to your replies:

1. The contact is not with Ford Credit. It's a Michigan retail sales installment contract between me as the buyer and the dealer listed as the seller.

2. The rebate amount is listed as "rebate" in the contract, not specifying anything that it could possibly be tied to. No program number or anything.

3. Bank account is established with the correct amount financed as signed for. I'm not sure if they have the title though. I see that this state does electronic titles so I'd have to look into that more, maybe the DMV.

4. The contract states in bold type that this state does not allow for a "cooling off period". It says that after you sign, the contract can only be canceled if the seller agrees or for legal cause. In fact I don't see any fine print at all that says we have to come to the table if there is a mistake or anything similar, but I'm not a lawyer. The only thing I see is an arbitration clause.

5. I don't think the warranty they were offering was the official Ford ESP. The terminology didn't match up with what I see on Granger or Flood Ford. I do plan on getting the official ESP from either one of those, but have been waiting to see what happens with this first.

6. Does using the A/X/Z plan add any validity to Ford approving the use of cash offers after signing a sales contract? And if so, wouldn't the dealer be responsible at that point?

To make this more complicated, the dealer does have the extra key fob. During the sale we asked if it was OK to write a personal check for the down-payment and they said they'd just hang onto the other keys until we come back for the accessory we bought (had to be ordered). Hopefully that won't become another issue.

I'll post again when I hear anything. Love this truck, but will be much happier when this is finalized.
How much is this "rebate"???

The only rebates from Ford would be your price protection and even then I don't know how a dealer would mark that on the contract.

I don't get what the Michigan retail establishment contact is, is this just the dealer? Yes, in actuality your contact is with the dealer and you but unless they're giving you a rebate/discount it comes from Ford and no one so far has heard about anything one given for a service contact purchase.

As for the certain plans, that's from Ford, is this the rebate you're referring to?

Reiningrl

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suv
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I picked up my Bronco in July and received the rebate. I did not get the extended warranty, nor did I finance through Ford. Neither is a contingency of the rebate.

If they push, ask for a copy of Ford’s terms for the rebate. In some states, sales pricing can be adjusted fora short period after signing if the seller can prove the price was incorrect. For example, a “7” was mistakenly added as a “1” when computing a final cost. They can’t, however, amend the price.

buschris

Heritage
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
go ahead and drive the piss out of it, as many miles as you can. It'll be broken in, and they shouldn't be able to sell it as New. IF they are able to take possession of it. Screw them

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can't hold a non connected factory rebate hostage by demanding you purchase ESP. Wow!

Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
So my update from the dealer was that they are still arguing with Ford about my rebate and my purchase would either be finalized or bounced today.

Here are some additional details that I've discovered thanks to your replies:

1. The contact is not with Ford Credit. It's a Michigan retail sales installment contract between me as the buyer and the dealer listed as the seller.

2. The rebate amount is listed as "rebate" in the contract, not specifying anything that it could possibly be tied to. No program number or anything.

3. Bank account is established with the correct amount financed as signed for. I'm not sure if they have the title though. I see that this state does electronic titles so I'd have to look into that more, maybe the DMV.

4. The contract states in bold type that this state does not allow for a "cooling off period". It says that after you sign, the contract can only be canceled if the seller agrees or for legal cause. In fact I don't see any fine print at all that says we have to come to the table if there is a mistake or anything similar, but I'm not a lawyer. The only thing I see is an arbitration clause.

5. I don't think the warranty they were offering was the official Ford ESP. The terminology didn't match up with what I see on Granger or Flood Ford. I do plan on getting the official ESP from either one of those, but have been waiting to see what happens with this first.

6. Does using the A/X/Z plan add any validity to Ford approving the use of cash offers after signing a sales contract? And if so, wouldn't the dealer be responsible at that point?

To make this more complicated, the dealer does have the extra key fob. During the sale we asked if it was OK to write a personal check for the down-payment and they said they'd just hang onto the other keys until we come back for the accessory we bought (had to be ordered). Hopefully that won't become another issue.

I'll post again when I hear anything. Love this truck, but will be much happier when this is finalized.
Any closure on this?

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I only read the first page and I'm also not an attorney. Bought I've bought many cars over the years, and I have never been asked to pay more after the fact. Once, in 2012, I bought a 2008 Honda Element from a dealer and they told me they could match my pre-approved interest rate of 7%. A few days later, they called and said the original bank rejected the deal bought they got me financed through another bank and I had to come in and sign some new paperwork. The price, payments, and such did not change though.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Haven't heard anything either way. I’ll have to reach out to them sooner or later to get my other key fob and purchased accessories.
I would get those immediately and if they try to get any more money out of you, call your state attorney. You have a contract for a vehicle for X price, and accessories. They are responsible to deliver on the contract, end of story. If they made a mistake on the contract, that is not your problem.

And I have never heard of a factory rebate being conditional upon an extended warranty. I did have a dealership tell me that if I bought the extended warranty they would lower my interest rate so the payment would be the same, which I declined because I didn't want the extra balance.

Wardognal

Outer Banks
First Name
Orville
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

All contracts are based on the concept of a meeting of the minds. In this case both parties entered into the contract with the understanding that there was a rebate of value. As it turns out both parties were wrong. There is no rebate value. The contract can be nullified.
The question becomes how to remedy the situation. You have leverage in the fact you have already devalued the Bronco. A practical remedy would be to accept the situation for what it is, and come to an agreement along the lines of a 50/50 compromise. If agreed on, At the end of the day you come out a winner in the fact that you benefited from a Rebate in which you were not entitled.

Sponsored

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They know they have nothing to stand on here. They issued the contract and are trying to recoup the value lost by likely jacking up the price of the ESP. I would ask them to prove where the rebate has any relation to the ESP as I can almost guarantee there is nothing.

I would drive the hell out of that Bronco in the interim and go grab your accessories and key fob in a vehicle that is not the Bronco.

Donovan_93

Badlands
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've never heard of a cash rebate/discount applied when you buy an extended warranty... Usually those apply if you choose to finance through Ford.
Since you already put money down, have a your loan through another creditor, and signed your contract, there is nothing they can do... Get a lawyer if they try anymore BS.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You should be in their lobby making a scene until you get your second key. They cannot legally hold your key if you've financed the vehicle. Demand you key, make videos recording that they refuse to do so etc.
Sponsored