Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford will probably not make a soft top for the 2DR. It is a safety issue where I think someone said they can only sell so many soft tops and I am sure those are wrapped up in the 4DRs.
If this is the case, I'll probably need to move on from the 2 door.

Why is a soft top 2 door a safety issue?
Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

And Ford doesn't just take a chance and pick a contractor out of thin air. The require strong proposals, proof of engineering and production ability, past performance with large contracts.
So how did that process work out with Webasto, yeah, the same robust process, or lack of it, they used to pick the new one. And this time, they picked one in a panic, in months, not years.

Stay tuned...

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Good news, if true. I have some experience with both manufacturing and contracts, and said a couple months ago Ford should cancel the Webslacko contract for "non-performance." I also said the people that think ramping up production of a simple item is difficult don't know history. In WWII most American companies were given gov contracts to change over from making typewriters to making M-1 Carbines, from plywood to making Higgins boats, from making blenders to making bombsights. It used to be standard procedure to have an item go from concept drawing to production in just a few months. What happened was....regulations and offshoring.

But a Modular top is NOT a complicated item. It's a half dozen composite shapes, with gaskets and latches. It's not a jet engine. Many aerospace or plastics companies could very quickly get these into mass production. They're going to test the MOD tops, work out the bugs this year and next spring, and have full production going when Ford said, 2023. If not sooner. Anyone (like me) that considered the MIC to be the "cheap, stop-gap top" can rest assured your soft top will let you enjoy a Bronco while waiting to snap a MOD top on it that year.

And Ford doesn't just take a chance and pick a contractor out of thin air. The require strong proposals, proof of engineering and production ability, past performance with large contracts. They'll kick Webslacko to the curb for being so hosed, and let a new company take up their niche. Competition is good....

To be clear, if I get a ‘21 or ‘22 with a soft top.....these mod tops that are being made in 2023 will be for all previous model years as well...and not just 2023 model year Broncos?

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco WT. ‘23 Maverick. Hybrid. '23 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You’re absolutely right.

I’m taking delivery this week and ain’t mad.

The gripes here are largely bored contagion.
A lot of the gripes are from those whose Broncos have sat sunbathing at MAP for the last month.
Congrats on the delivery though. Hopefully Ford finds a way to ship ours sometime this month.

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't see why Ford can't just build these themselves. To AZshot's point, during WWII, Ford was able to drop everything and produce 87,000 aircraft, with finished planes rolling off assembly lines in 6 months. But plastic roofs? No way that's too hard. Thank god B-17s didn't need plastic roofs or we'd be speaking german.

Sponsored

Tom Ryan

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A lot of the gripes are from those whose Broncos have sat sunbathing at MAP for the last month.
Congrats on the delivery though. Hopefully Ford finds a way to ship ours sometime this month.
Seems like a lot of gripes here are from folks that reserved after 7/13. No one in that camp should be complaining about the roofs coming off the line right now. They should be happy to get one before a lot of other 7/13’s, if that’s the case. If they don’t get one of those bad roofs, then what’s the actual gripe? If they’re a 7/13 like me, it’ll get fixed eventually. Not much to fret about here.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Good news, if true. I have some experience with both manufacturing and contracts...

But a Modular top is NOT a complicated item. It's a half dozen composite shapes, with gaskets and latches. It's not a jet engine. Many aerospace or plastics companies could very quickly get these into mass production. They're going to test the MOD tops, work out the bugs this year and next spring, and have full production going when Ford said, 2023. If not sooner. Anyone (like me) that considered the MIC to be the "cheap, stop-gap top" can rest assured your soft top will let you enjoy a Bronco while waiting to snap a MOD top on it that year.

And Ford doesn't just take a chance and pick a contractor out of thin air. The require strong proposals, proof of engineering and production ability, past performance with large contracts.
LOL, only to later find out that the contract was given to the Defense Logistics Agency for bidding and awarding... The DLA can make ANY contract into a nightmare... Maybe they'll award it to Lockheed-Martin's Composites Group??? LOL

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco WT. ‘23 Maverick. Hybrid. '23 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Seems like a lot of gripes here are from folks that reserved after 7/13. No one in that camp should be complaining about the roofs coming off the line right now. They should be happy to get one before a lot of other 7/13’s, if that’s the case. If they don’t get one of those bad roofs, then what’s the actual gripe? If they’re a 7/13 like me, it’ll get fixed eventually. Not much to fret about here.
7/13 as well.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's probably a capacity issue, along with already up and running production since so much is farmed out to suppliers. Building key components such as power train, frame/body and etc. and then assemble is what auto manufacturers do now a days.

Yes, Ford did ramp up in WWII, but then they did everything, but regs, environmental controls and the tech in cars compared to then, make something like a composite top easier to do at a supplier.

Add to that the video we saw of the flooding at MAPS and maybe there isn't anywhere in town that's up to par to develop in time... I hope the new supplier can come in and do all hard tops down the road. And quickly.

WatchYourSix

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think they're justified at this point. This is one more issue in a long line of issues during this botched roll-out. We all know it's a new vehicle and these aren't ideal times but those aren't the only variables affecting the Bronco, and everyone knows it, whether they care to admit it or not.

Sponsored

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

By the way, I did like AZshots post and agree with him in general, but I think what he wrote could, hope it could, be the same, for a new supplier that is already is the business some how. so yea, it could still happen faster.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I don't see why Ford can't just build these themselves. To AZshot's point, during WWII, Ford was able to drop everything and produce 87,000 aircraft, with finished planes rolling off assembly lines in 6 months. But plastic roofs? No way that's too hard. Thank god B-17s didn't need plastic roofs or we'd be speaking german.
The B-17 did have a plexiglass nose, the navigators sun dome (roof), top turret gun and the windshields.

However, Ford produced the B-24 Liberators, not the Boeing B-17.
https://www.thehenryford.org/collections-and-research/digital-collections/expert-sets/101765/

Ford Bronco Ford has new painted MOD top supplier for Bronco after Webasto loses contract gettyimages-1178597274.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.751xh;0,0
Sponsored

Last edited: