Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I watched this video before we went!

I've gotten into the habit of searching trail videos on YouTube before going to get an idea of what I'm dealing with.

Thanks for sharing it!
Anytime! I do the exact same I like to know what I'm getting into. I think I watched like 20 different Schnebly Hill Trail videos before I went in Arizona.
Sponsored

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You do realize that millions of people actually live in the Southwest without getting killed or carjacked every day, right? Watch less TV and come visit us. It's beautiful down here, and we have some kickass trails!
I just might take you up on that!

Bojler

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor, BMW M850i - both green /love
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
What a journey! Thanks for sharing :love:

May I ask you what lens you used to take those pictures? Just perfect.

OP
OP
KT_bronco

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What a journey! Thanks for sharing :love:

May I ask you what lens you used to take those pictures? Just perfect.
Thank you :)

I use a Sony 18-105mm f4. But I get the panorama effect by stitching together 3-5 photos together in Lightroom or Photoshop.

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice. Headed there the first part of April. Thanks for sharing

Hey! I have a "first time visitors / hiking guide" I wrote about Terlingua / BBNP if you're interested in reading it!

Sponsored

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You did Black Gap at night? LOL! Nuts man. SOOO jealous because BBNP is my absolute favorite place in Texas and is the FIRST place I'm taking my 2D Badlands when she finally shows up.

Everything's bigger in Texas, ain't it? LOL! I bet that River Road trip took you at least 3-4 hours.

I wrote a "First Time Visitors / Hiking Guide" to BBNP if anyone's interested - just hit me up!

Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 10.55.06 AM.jpg

Our shortest route to our campsite was through the Jeep badge of honor trail "Black Gap Road". By now it was getting dark so we completed the trail at night. While I love night rides, I would have preferred to run the trail during the day to take in the views.
DSC06092-Pano-2.jpg

OP
OP
KT_bronco

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You did Black Gap at night? LOL! Nuts man. SOOO jealous because BBNP is my absolute favorite place in Texas and is the FIRST place I'm taking my 2D Badlands when she finally shows up.

Everything's bigger in Texas, ain't it? LOL! I bet that River Road trip took you at least 3-4 hours.

I wrote a "First Time Visitors / Hiking Guide" to BBNP if anyone's interested - just hit me up!

Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 10.55.06 AM.jpg

Our shortest route to our campsite was through the Jeep badge of honor trail "Black Gap Road". By now it was getting dark so we completed the trail at night. While I love night rides, I would have preferred to run the trail during the day to take in the views.
DSC06092-Pano-2.jpg
LOL yeah totally miscalculated. I experienced first hand "Texas is BIG!" lolol.
I was so excited to get off-road that I didn't run some basic math. And yes that section took us about 4-5 hours with me annoyingly stopping every minute to take pics.

Send over that guide, would love to have it on hand for my next visit.

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

LOL yeah totally miscalculated. I experienced first hand "Texas is BIG!" lolol.
I was so excited to get off-road that I didn't run some basic math. And yes that section took us about 4-5 hours with me annoyingly stopping every minute to take pics.

Send over that guide, would love to have it on hand for my next visit.
First time I went, I stopped at the first Ranger station and asked how to get up to the Chisos section.

He said, "Go down this road for about 30 miles, then take a right."

Me: "How will I know it's the right turn?"

Him: "Oh, you'll know."

People underestimate the BIG part of Big Bend National Park. ;-)

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport ,first edition C.G
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Thank you!

Interesting question, I watched a video of a nearby towns sheriff discussing it. Basically yes, there are illegals and trafficking, but it didn't seem to present a danger to visitors. Nor did I feel in danger.

We passed through many checkpoints with border patrol coming in and out of the park area. I was a little surprised but we had no issues. They just ask if you are a US citizen. I also passed by a border patrol balloon, which I'm guessing has electronics and cameras to monitor the vast distances. The sheriff in the video also discusses cameras that they operate to monitor the border as well.

Once you see the border and the river, you realize that it is a very difficult proposition to stop the crossings. I was tempted to cross and take a pic in Mexico, but it comes with a 5k fine if border patrol gets a whiff of it. But you can legally cross into Mexico for lunch with a passport and I think a permit to the towns near by.
Wow very good perspective of what’s really going on on our boarders. Well done , the sheriff was a great teller . This needs to be put on national tv .

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Big Bend was awesome when I went. If anyone goes please also make the trip up Christmas Mountain outside of the park at Terlingua Ranch Lodge. You have to call and make an appointment since it's one way up and down. They'll give you a key to the gate when when your time comes! Here are some pics from the summit. (Warning: Non-Bronco pic. Not my fault that Ford has yet to build my day 1 res).
Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. 20210328_134328

Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. 20210328_134304

Sponsored

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Big Bend was awesome when I went. If anyone goes please also make the trip up Christmas Mountain outside of the park at Terlingua Ranch Lodge. You have to call and make an appointment since it's one way up and down. They'll give you a key to the gate when when your time comes! Here are some pics from the summit. (Warning: Non-Bronco pic. Not my fault that Ford has yet to build my day 1 res).
I've done almost everything in BBNP, and Christmas Mountain is still on the "to-do" list. Def taking the Bronco up there when I *eventually* get her. Nice pic!

OP
OP
KT_bronco

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. 20210328_134304

Thanks for sharing. Love insider tips!

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Thanks for sharing. Love insider tips!
Anytime! A former co-worker who has some land out there told me about and I'm glad he did.

brianbrn

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Last minute my buddy and I decided to head to Big Bend and White Sands National Park over our New Year holiday break. Most of the country was in either a snow or rain storm, so I found the one corner where we could find some good weather and enjoy a bit of off-road adventuring. He hopped in his 4Runner and we met in Palm Springs CA.

The drive from LA took 2 days. Our first stop, White Sands National Park in New Mexico. Not a far detour on our way to Big Bend.

Reservations at Big Bend were scarce and for our second night we didn't have a place to stay. Most hotels in the nearby town of Alpine and Marfa were booked but we managed to find a place(not a nice place). We also managed to secure campsite for our second night in the park once we arrived and spoke to the rangers. Basics like Propane was in short supply in town.

Once we arrived at Big Bend National Park, we headed off-road on the Old Maverick Trail to Santa Elena Canyon. This was a fantastic introduction to the park.

From there we headed down river road west, taking our time to enjoy the sights. I totally miscalculated how long the trail would take and how big this park actually is. Our campsite was on the far northern end of the park at the Grapevine Spring, so we had quite a bit more driving to do.

There are private ranches in the park and spotted cows grazing.

We stopped along the trail and made coffee. Much needed to get to our campsite and setup.

Our campsite was a frigid 26 degrees at night. No campfires allowed in the park so this is how we managed. Don't judge my choice in beer. lol

The following morning we ran the Old Ore Road trail which was fantastic. I was taken back by how lush this desert is, many springs bring the landscape to life with color. The trail took us about 6 hours with plenty of breaks to enjoy our environment.

We then used the paved roads to head to our southern campsite at Cottonwood for New Years Eve. I was expecting the other campers to be in a party spirit, but it was fairly subdued with the highlight being fireworks set off across the border by the local Mexicans at midnight. I really enjoyed that :)

The following morning we packed up and took the scenic paved road to exit the park. At one of the vistas we met the only other 2 door bronco I saw at the park. Plenty of 4 doors out and about but just us two with two doors.

We then took the 170 Scenic Farm Road for a drive near the Rio Grande next to Big Band Ranch.

Even though I was a bit tired of desert landscapes having recently visited Joshua Tree, Anza Borrego and Johnson Valley, this park is a whole different ball game. The river and the springs turn the landscape into a desert jungle. The colors, variety, and scope is a sight to behold.
Just missed you. I was there the week before.
Ford Bronco Ringing in the New Year with a Big Bend National Park Adventure. DJI_0358.JPG
Sponsored