Rear Bumper show off thread

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 WildTrak; '06 Whippl'd Mustang (sold4upgrades)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Since you mentioned of others having issues. I want to make sure the "wedge" was properly seated. I made a wooden "wedge" to make sure that it was tapped into place firmly. I wonder if they may not have had the wedge seated in place before tightning all the way. Another thing I mentioned was to make sure the bearings are seated all the way down. I see that this could be easily overlooked as it takes a bit of rocking to finally get it seated.

After all is said and done, I will give you an update to see if there are issues after I have driven with the set up on for a while. All of the nuts provided are standard and there is no lock washers. Once I have the bumper and tire carrier aligned and adjusted, I am going to go and add lock tight. In the future, I may also change some of the key areas to lock nuts.

At this point I have not found the install to be difficult. I am hoping the adjusting portion is not a headache :)
Thanks for the update! Good idea on the wooden wedge to ensure it doesnā€™t move on you prior to tightening. Also, good point on ensuring proper seating of the carrier to the spindle. Iā€™m hoping those issues were simply install sequence problems like you mentioned and yours is smooth sailing!

Iā€™m so close to pulling the trigger on this setup as it meets my needs the mostā€¦. It seemed like the others noticed the slippage overnight once weight was applied, so looking forward to your next update.
Sponsored

OP
OP

bronco_ed

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Got the tire carrier on and started final adjustments. I ran into a snag, even after ā€œshimmingā€ the bumper I am finding it difficult to get the tire carrier parallel to the tail gate. I spoke with support and sent a video of the tail gate latching correctly and showing the carrier sitting away from the vehicle. It should be parallel or leaning toward the vehicle slightly.

In my mind at this point I think I would have to ā€œshimā€ the spindle to get it to lean towards the vehicle. Since the spindle is the critical part and due to some prior comments of concerns I would want to avoid that if possible.
(The lower bump stop was removed intentionally to shut the tail gate correctly for the video I sent)

Iā€™ll wait to see what they suggest. Perhaps they may see an error in my installation.

Ford Bronco Rear Bumper show off thread 2D87BC0E-0214-4376-9DB8-64448B47065D
Ford Bronco Rear Bumper show off thread 1DA26BF4-1DC3-4B5F-8C42-0E03C304D6B3
Ford Bronco Rear Bumper show off thread B0968CB3-5BE8-4B37-80C9-29B2122959C5

OP
OP

bronco_ed

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am not seeing any slippage. Itā€™s pretty solid. When shaking the carrier the whole vehicle will move. No slop, I think once adjusted and tightened correctly all should be good. I have not seen a whole lot of broncos with this set up yet. I am going to reach out to the only fellow I know that installed one. I already mailed him around purchase and he mentioned to contact him I I had questions.

Sponsored

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went with the Havoc steel bender rear bumper. Great price at under $500 shipped. The metal might be a little thin though as my Flowmaster muffler tips dimpled the bumper on a rock drop.

F70bZG3.jpg

txNbnxG.jpg

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I went with the Havoc steel bender rear bumper. Great price at under $500 shipped. The metal might be a little thin though as my Flowmaster muffler tips dimpled the bumper on a rock drop.

Ford Bronco Rear Bumper show off thread txNbnxG

Ford Bronco Rear Bumper show off thread txNbnxG

Mall approved right there. :LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:

JKommuter

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Mall approved right there. :LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:
I went this mall approved route myself. $450 from Morris 4x4 It's better than the stock plastic and avoids the bronco tax. Of course I altered mine a bit.

2fast4u

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500 and Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
OP
OP

bronco_ed

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok! I took the spare tire back off and loosened the spindle and added a couple washers under the spindle at the top. That took care of the tilting back of the spare tire. It is now parallel with the tail gate. Now in terms of being parallel or level with the bumper, I have the wedge in a bit more and the drivers side is slightly higher. I am going to leave it like that for now to see if there is any ā€œsettlingā€.

All in all once you figure how how the tire carrier is suppose to close along with the gate it really is not that bad to adjust.

I am done with what I considered the difficult part. Now to finish the camera and brake lightā€¦ no biggie for that.

Since the same scenario occurred with myself and ā€œTexā€. I would recommend anyone doing the install to add a couple shims behind the top of the spindle right off the bat. If the angle is too close to the tailgate you can just remove the shims. I think it would be easier to remove than pull back apart to add.

Ford Bronco Rear Bumper show off thread 3F91A734-D516-4F1E-A755-2F33EC15C6EF
Now to save up for the rack and gas can mounts.
Ford Bronco Rear Bumper show off thread 2BE90EFC-2580-45EB-AA75-54C2808CD2AE

Sponsored

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 WildTrak; '06 Whippl'd Mustang (sold4upgrades)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ok! I took the spare tire back off and loosened the spindle and added a couple washers under the spindle at the top. That took care of the tilting back of the spare tire. It is now parallel with the tail gate. Now in terms of being parallel or level with the bumper, I have the wedge in a bit more and the drivers side is slightly higher. I am going to leave it like that for now to see if there is any ā€œsettlingā€.

All in all once you figure how how the tire carrier is suppose to close along with the gate it really is not that bad to adjust.

I am done with what I considered the difficult part. Now to finish the camera and brake lightā€¦ no biggie for that.

Since the same scenario occurred with myself and ā€œTexā€. I would recommend anyone doing the install to add a couple shims behind the top of the spindle right off the bat. If the angle is too close to the tailgate you can just remove the shims. I think it would be easier to remove than pull back apart to add.

3F91A734-D516-4F1E-A755-2F33EC15C6EF.jpeg
Now to save up for the rack and gas can mounts.
2BE90EFC-2580-45EB-AA75-54C2808CD2AE.jpeg
So you had to add washers between the spindle plate and where it bolts to the bumper to push it forward? That didnā€™t cause any issue with not having enough tension on the wedge? Or maybe Iā€™m missing where you added the washer? Mind taking a pic or pointing out where you added the washer per an install guide pic?

Looks proper now though, hopefully everything stays good!

OP
OP

bronco_ed

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I added the shims (washers) at the top side between spindle and bumper. (top)
wedge is at bottom of spindle...

Shimming the top tilts the spindle toward the front of the vehicle.

It would be best not to add shims but if you have to this is the best place to do it since it is not near the wedge.

I put lock tight on all of the bolts that hold the spindle on. I have not seen any comments from the jeep community on things loosening up.

I'll look again but rather than weld you could possibly drill and tap a hole or two and create a custom sized plate to bolt up and back up to the wedge as another way to prevent any movement of the wedge. Just another precaution. To hold things tightly. Hopefully not needed.

I also made LOD aware of the two installs that seem to have had the same scenario. Perhaps they can look at the angle on the mounting pad they have welded onto the Bronco Bumper or look at the spindle for possible issues. Also provided input regarding additional license plate mount options.

Tex made a good point that it probably is good to have the drivers side slightly higher anyway if you plan to add the additional gas cans or rack. (There will be additional weight from full gas cans, storage, etc...)

Need to add third light and camera, temp mounted plate until I figure out where I want to mount.

at least for I can drive nowšŸ˜‚
Ford Bronco Rear Bumper show off thread A10F3CF2-34C6-4E90-AF0E-CF01DEB34BA8

image.jpg

Last edited:

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

1680734709238.jpeg

I do not think that would happen with LOD bumperā€¦. I think tail pipe would have been crushed. Between bumper and rockā€¦

I was just busting chops with the comment. I am in the same boat. :LOL:

I could not spend big bucks just to chop on it. ;)

Ford Bronco Rear Bumper show off thread IMG_0176.JPG

Ford Bronco Rear Bumper show off thread IMG_0177.JPG

Not to mention I got front & rear bumpers and side steps for the price of just a rear bumper from some vendors. I can deal with the damage that they incur. More details on to come.

I have to get after making my build thread, parts have arrived that need installed. šŸ˜

OP
OP

bronco_ed

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You guys are right these bumpers are expensive. Itā€™s actually the first aftermarket bumper I ever bought. It was sticker shock looking.
Sponsored