Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looking to see if anyone has resolved this issue with a different setup / fabrication. I have the BD XL80 A pillar lights mounted using their bracket. I just installed a Midland radio and looking to use the Midland Ghost antenna. I purchased the mountains2metal radio mount for the glove box (let me tell you, very simple install) and the mountains2metal A pillar antenna mount.

The issue is simple, the bracket for the XL80 and the antenna mount are not integrating well. I tried a few different mounting options but in general, nothing fits like a glove. I am thinking I will need to go to a hood type mount, but wanted to see something closer to the A pillar. Any solutions?

2021 Badland - Antimatter Blue

20240330_201621445_iOS.jpg

20240330_201640758_iOS.jpg

20240330_203314725_iOS.jpg

20240330_202058642_iOS.jpg

20240330_203318646_iOS.jpg

20240324_192106242_iOS.jpg
Sponsored

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Donā€™t know about the antenna mount, and how it would integrate, but I use SDHQ bracket mounts, and mounted my XL 80s that way.

BroncoDave24

Wildtrak
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'61 Falcon, '87 F150 XLT Lariat 5.0, '01 F350 7.3L
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If I am seeing this right, your antenna is too close to the heat sink on the light. Capacitive coupling will seriously de-tune the antenna causing reflected power which will cause the radio to "fold back" the power output in order to not damage the finals. Not to mention the uneven radiation pattern. Also, all LED lights produce RF noise. Some are much worse than others. Your receiver may be desensitized due to the increased noise floor. If this is the only option, go for it. You may be dissapointed in both the TX and RX performance. I would at least look for other options. High and in the clear, away from metal objects is always best, but not always doable. Keep us posted!

Last edited:

TerryB

Badlands
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Badlands Sasquatch, 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Rugged Radios mount would have the same issues as broncodave24 described above.
Considering the inherent limitations for mounting on a bronco the hood mount is the best option. After a couple of weeks you wonā€™t even notice it when driving.

Sponsored

Johnny Rebel

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Big Bend, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This isnā€™t the same antenna, but hereā€™s my current GMRS setup. Never had any issues with it, but my usage is limited to occasional trail use with small groups, so Iā€™ve never tried hitting repeaters with it.

I used a lip mount attached directly to the edge of the JCR mounting brackets.

Ford Bronco Baja Designs XL80 and mountains2metal A pillar antenna mount IMG_7952

Johnny Rebel

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The Rugged Radios mount would have the same issues as broncodave24 described above.
Considering the inherent limitations for mounting on a bronco the hood mount is the best option. After a couple of weeks you wonā€™t even notice it when driving.
What's the minimum distance it should it be from the pillar lights or the A pillars so that performance isn't affected, or is there a good way to determine that? Hope that makes sense. I'm not a radio expert, but always enjoy learning more about them.

TerryB

Badlands
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Badlands Sasquatch, 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good question. Thereā€™s a lot of disagreement about the distance you want to maintain between your antenna and horizontal metal. The most common answer iā€™ve seen is a minimum of 1/2 a wavelength to 2 wavelengths. FYI, the latter is the answer youā€™ll get from a ham guy.
The closer the antenna is to the metal the more important it is that you tune the antenna. Using an swr meter will also help to identify optimal antenna location. For example, i use a lip mount on my jeep and found the best location was about 1/3 of the way down the hood. I would have thought half way would have been the best.
GMRS wavelength is 25ā€.
Just to be clear being too close to horizontal metal is not just a performance issue, i have seen people blow out their radio. Also on a cowl mount make sure the cowl is metal, not plastic, and grounded to the chassis. I have not installed my gmrs on the bronco yet so iā€˜m not sure whatā€™s there. The jeep cowl is plastic yet even some of the large off-road radio sites sell cowl mounts for the jeep???

Johnny Rebel

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Good question. Thereā€™s a lot of disagreement about the distance you want to maintain between your antenna and horizontal metal. The most common answer iā€™ve seen is a minimum of 1/2 a wavelength to 2 wavelengths. FYI, the latter is the answer youā€™ll get from a ham guy.
The closer the antenna is to the metal the more important it is that you tune the antenna. Using an swr meter will also help to identify optimal antenna location. For example, i use a lip mount on my jeep and found the best location was about 1/3 of the way down the hood. I would have thought half way would have been the best.
GMRS wavelength is 25ā€.
Just to be clear being too close to horizontal metal is not just a performance issue, i have seen people blow out their radio. Also on a cowl mount make sure the cowl is metal, not plastic, and grounded to the chassis. I have not installed my gmrs on the bronco yet so iā€˜m not sure whatā€™s there. The jeep cowl is plastic yet even some of the large off-road radio sites sell cowl mounts for the jeep???
Thanks for that. Very helpful info.

@BroncoBourg - sorry for the hijack!

Sponsored

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

BroncoDave24

Wildtrak
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'61 Falcon, '87 F150 XLT Lariat 5.0, '01 F350 7.3L
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Something else to consider. I have attached an excerpt from the '24 Bronco Owners Manual. I bet those locations/frequencies and power limits were chosen so as to lessen the chance of interfering with all the processors and data busses. Looks like the hood area is not a recommended option. Remember, everything is computer controlled on these vehicles. You don't want something going nuts at an inoppertune moment! :shock:
On the other hand, If you are unlicensed and running legal power (<2.0W ERP), you would probably have no issues with a hood mount. If you are licensed GMRS or HAM and running up to the 50W Ford recommended limit, I wouldn't mount on the hood...
Ford Bronco Baja Designs XL80 and mountains2metal A pillar antenna mount Bronco Ant Placement 01.JPG
Ford Bronco Baja Designs XL80 and mountains2metal A pillar antenna mount Bronco Ant Placement 02.JPG

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Something else to consider. I have attached an excerpt from the '24 Bronco Owners Manual. I bet those locations/frequencies and power limits were chosen so as to lessen the chance of interfering with all the processors and data busses. Looks like the hood area is not a recommended option. Remember, everything is computer controlled on these vehicles. You don't want something going nuts at an inoppertune moment! :shock:
On the other hand, If you are unlicensed and running legal power (<2.0W ERP), you would probably have no issues with a hood mount. If you are licensed GMRS or HAM and running up to the 50W Ford recommended limit, I wouldn't mount on the hood...
Good stuff, except the Bronco has a removable roof. UHF might be able to get away with an inside mount to the roll cage.

I currently have a 1/2 wavelength antenna for a 200 watt VHF FM radio (just kidding) Rugged Radios 1/4 wavelength UHF antenna tuned for GMRS on their mount and so far no issues with a 41 watt radio. (I went Rugged because nothing goes in my Bronco that's not waterproof. I've been burned too many times in my younger life by the weather.) Sometime this summer I want to add an external antenna for a 5 watt VHF HAM handheld I'll pick up after my test and I'll have to figure out mounting.
Sponsored