First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
People are going to need to re-train their brains. It's funny how people are cool with spending 10-15 minutes once or twice a week to refuel over the course of the year, but wouldn't happily give all of that up in exchange for spending maybe 30 extra minutes once a year. 😄
This is a super prescient take, but I think the idea of not having to get gas on a weekly basis is such a foreign concept that people can’t even comprehend it. To truly understand how major of a difference that would make in your life I feel like you’d have to go from a gas vehicle, to electric, and back to gas again.
Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
...on the rare occasion that I'd actually go on a road trip where this truck would just be totally impossible...then I'd just rent some SUV or what ever for that once a year trip.
A lot of people have trouble understanding soft costs. Spend $200 renting a vehicle when I can drive my own?! No way! But if people understood what the true cost per mile was to drive their vehicle (> .50/mile with a late model vehicle, > 1.00/mile with a luxury vehicle), it's not hard to do the math to see if it's cheaper to rent a vehicle and put the wear-and-tear on that. We've done that several times--any time we had a longer road trip planned and the rental rates were good.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
...also you cant tell people to charge their car at X hour because most people are busy during the day with work/school whatever. Only time people will be able to charge their car (assuming the charge times come down close to gas fill up times) will be while they are commuting or lunch breaks or something...
Most EV owners (and I'm not one, yet) charge their vehicles at home almost exclusively. Charging stations are mostly used for longer trips. Some can take advantage of charging stations at work, but unless they are free, owners just charge at home where the cost is probably lower.

So, the typical scenario is: drive to work, go to lunch if needed, drive home, maybe stop for errands on the way. At home, plug in until tomorrow and repeat. As long as the at-home charging capacity exceeds daily Kwh consumed, it's a rote process. Decent home units can be set to not charge until the least-expensive charging hours.

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

People are going to need to re-train their brains. It's funny how people are cool with spending 10-15 minutes once or twice a week to refuel over the course of the year, but wouldn't happily give all of that up in exchange for spending maybe 30 extra minutes once a year. 😄

Yes, EVs today don't align well with everyone's use cases, but many people are holding them to a standard far higher than they need. It's like people who insist they need a Badlands Sasquatch just to make it to the campground that has a dirt road. 😄
Biggest issue I foresee is that F-150s generally don't fit well into standard garages (at least what is standard in my area). For example I have the 240 wall connector in my garage for my Tesla, but an F-150 doesn't fit into my garage. I'm not sure there is an outdoor home charging system out there and without that you're talking about excruciatingly slow charging using an exterior standard 120V socket.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Yes, EVs today don't align well with everyone's use cases, but many people are holding them to a standard far higher than they need. It's like people who insist they need a Badlands Sasquatch just to make it to the campground that has a dirt road. 😄
This is a super prescient take, but I think the idea of not having to get gas on a weekly basis is such a foreign concept that people can’t even comprehend it. To truly understand how major of a difference that would make in your life I feel like you’d have to go from a gas vehicle, to electric, and back to gas again.
I fill up at least twice a week. I just don't see the difficulty of refueling a petrol vehicle. It takes 5 minutes to fill 10+ gallons. I do it on the way home. Gets blood back in my ass after being in the seat for 90 minutes. The EV home charging doesn't fit a lot of peoples lifestyles (city dwellers and apartment/condo owners), so those people HAVE to wait to charge; anyone can refuel ICE in 5 minutes. It's easy. My friend doesn't want to deal with the charge schedule timing and electric rate stuff, blah, blah blah.

Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I fill up at least twice a week. I just don't see the difficulty of refueling a petrol vehicle. It takes 5 minutes to fill 10+ gallons. I do it on the way home. Gets blood back in my ass after being in the seat for 90 minutes. The EV home charging doesn't fit a lot of peoples lifestyles (city dwellers and apartment/condo owners), so those people HAVE to wait to charge; anyone can refuel ICE in 5 minutes. It's easy. My friend doesn't want to deal with the charge schedule timing and electric rate stuff, blah, blah blah.
I think 5 minutes is definitely under-estimating. The time starts from the moment you deviate from your path to the gas station until you are back at that point again. That includes waiting for an available pump, if need be (I save money at Costco, but that means that going at the wrong time can mean waiting), etc.

There's no need to deal with recharge timing beyond setting the home charger up for the first time. People spend more time scrolling Facebook at work. 😄 That said, for people without access to a garage or attached carport, and EV isn't necessarily a great solution yet. The F150 Lightning is a sign of big changes in the future, but it's not going to all happen because of this vehicle. When graphene batteries are the norm, the change to EVs is going to be massive. That's why so much planning and work is being done with an eye on 10 years from now. Imagine the Gen3 Lightning having 500 miles of range and a 10-minute charge time. Imagine how much more improved the charging station opportunities are (including at apartments, etc.) There was a time when a cross-country road trip in an automobile was a risky under-taking, but things changed. When you are at the beginning of a technology, it can be difficult to assess how quickly and significantly it will change and look in even a short time.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hope to use the (non-squatch) Badlands I ordered at least somewhat near it's capability. I suspect I'll fall quite short. Honestly, if I could have á la carted a few of the off-road-capable items, I could have gone for a "lesser" trim. But when the difference is $48K vs. $50K, it seemed to make sense to go for the extras.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went 2 to 4 weeks without a fill-up with my 36 gallon tank on a 3.5EB F150; depends on how you drive. With more people likely to work from home in the coming years, EVs' range is less of an issue for more people.

Road trips and long tows are still downsides. I think every auto manufacturer could have a "trip battery" that is of uniform size and gets automatically changed out from underneath as their vehicle is on a track like a car wash. It would only provide 50 to 100 miles of range probably, but could be switched out by robotics faster than a drive thru.

Road trips will take more planning and I don't enjoy long towing trips. The F150 Lightning is perfect for my daily needs.

Freebird32

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F150 4x4, 82 Toyota 4x4 orig owner, 08 Z06
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If they improve the charge infrastructure and capability, these ‘smart’ vehicles should also be capable of knowing where all the charge stations are and take you there, automatically back into the charge connector (like the little robo vac in your living room does when it gets low). Same at home, your vehicle uses the smart parking technology to back into your charge connector. Just another option they can zing you for. You don’t have to spend any extra time plugging it in.

Sponsored

Runningwaters

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I just realized something.

Why did Ford give the Lightning last gen styling?

The headlights and tail lights are from the 2015-2020 F150.

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m super impressed with Ford on this Lightning. To make it at an affordable price too, wow. Game changer

Just when I was getting down on Ford for the Bronco issues they go and

200.gif

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hope to use the (non-squatch) Badlands I ordered at least somewhat near it's capability. I suspect I'll fall quite short. Honestly, if I could have á la carted a few of the off-road-capable items, I could have gone for a "lesser" trim. But when the difference is $48K vs. $50K, it seemed to make sense to go for the extras.
I got the squatch, but I know I'll probably never need it but I like the look. I do like camping and I'd like to try my hand at dispersed camping but that doesn't really exist in the Northeast. I also don't want to have to worry about exploring unknown roads. Most importantly, I like to look down on others 🤣😂

rlondeen

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is the range of current ev's really the problem or is that people have gotten so freaking lazy or so stuck on driving without a stop that they can't stop on a long trip for 30min to charge their car?
where are you getting 30 minutes from?

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

where are you getting 30 minutes from?
rapid charging stations should give you a good amount of juice in 30 min. I know it's not ideal in some areas because charges are not abundant, but they do have apps and stuff where you can plan your trip to pass by charging stations
Sponsored