Sponsored

0.01 Inches of snow broke my Bronco and this is Fords response.

Oomeeno

Black Diamond
First Name
Auggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hello Everyone,

This is just a cautionary tale for something that we have been dealing with since December 21.

Let me Set the Scene...
Christmas with the family. We are traveling from Colorado to South Dakota looking to beat the "wall of cold" headed across the central states. Its cold (-5 to -15) but its really not snowy. Nothing on the highway, but the wind is carrying what little there is. Having come from the great lakes area, it really wasn't a bad winter day.

We are 30+ minutes out of Scottsbluff Nebraska, when the car suddenly goes into limp mode. There is no cell service, so the ford app isn't telling me what's going on. That's ok though, I do what the forums have taught me. Turn off the car for 10-15 minutes, turn it on and try again. That seems to do the trick. We make it up to Lusk, Wy grab some gas and some food and keep heading north.

30 minutes later, and the car goes out again. Its really sluggish and feels kind of jumpy. Problem is... again there is no cell service. This is notoriously one of the worst stretches' of highway in the continental US in the wintertime. (its dangerous because it gets really slick and windswept) That being said, it was nothing even close to the worst I have experienced on this road. I just knew I needed to hit Edgemont, SD because that's the closest signal and gas station around.

We limp our way to Edgemont making sure to stay under 40mph to not put and stress on the vehicle that we waited 27 months for. In Edgemont, we rinse and repeat the "bronco fix in method". Turn it off, wait 20 minutes, turn it back on again. HEY, it works! We make it to Rapid without issue and head to bed with visions of sugar plums and warning lights in our head.

Next morning, car wont start. I figure, why tempt fate. Call a tow truck and get it shipped to the closes ford dealer.

They come back a few days later and let me know the following;
"Air filter is Saturated through and through. Big old puddle in the bottom of the airbox. Also, moisture worked its way up the tube and borked the turbo sensor. We need to order a new one of those as well. NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY"

This makes 0 sense. I have yet to take this Vehicle off-road (only got it a couple months ago). Its a totally stock vehicle and this is its first "snow". Surely there must be a factory issue with my car? I have plowed through snowdrifts 3 feet high in a 1990 S-10... I should be confident that a $50k 'offroad' vehicle can handle 4 hours of highway time and some blowing snow?

Ford wont even argue on my behalf. I have spent countless hours with them on the phone and close to 20 emails. I am out over $1k in damages and car rentals because my brand new car is afraid of some snow. If anyone thinks I am exaggerating, I have included a screenshot of what weather was officially reported for the day that this all went down.

Honestly this puts a super bad taste in my mouth and I hope its a warning to all other bronco owners. Ford does not appear to stand behind their vehicle and its really shaken my faith in my new 'highly-anticipated' offroad rig. I would love some advice on this matter if anybody has had a similar experience?

1.jpg
Sponsored

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry to hear that. Curious to find out the issue. Almost sounds like the airbox was not hooked up properly at the factory. Is it a shady dealer? Could they have hooked it up properly after seeing it to get a higher dollar repair from you? Either way you won't be able to prove it. I've been living through storms and blizzards, high speed water crossings, and tons precipitation at highway speeds with zero issues (knocks on wood). Barely notice any water in the engine bay. Something has to be wrong unless the blowing snow was so fine it just kept getting sucked in. Hope it works out. Hello @Ford Motor Company

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So no diving into big puddles, muddy waters / splashing over the hood? The air box will drain but will show signs of silt and dirt.🤔

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It basically hasn't stopped raining since I picked my Bronco less than a month ago. Sorry about your situation, Ford truly has the ability to produce both a piece of junk as well as a solid vehicle....

You are not the first person who has got shafted by some BS warranty denial because there is a speck of dirt or drop of water (okay I'm exaggerating a little bit, but sadly not that much)

Guess I need to go check my air filter after driving 1,600 miles basically in the rain.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You are not the first person who has got shafted by some BS warranty denial because there is a speck of dirt or drop of water (okay I'm exaggerating a little bit, but sadly not that much)
This right here has me hesitant to purchase an extended warranty :sneaky:

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
ford is one of the hardest to get warrantee work covered. I never buy their extended warranty. I use geico mechanical breakdown coverage. Never a problem. Ford will deny everything given the slightest chance. They dont care about repeat customers.

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It basically hasn't stopped raining since I picked my Bronco less than a month ago. Sorry about your situation, Ford truly has the ability to produce both a piece of junk as well as a solid vehicle....

Guess I need to go check my air filter after driving 1,600 miles basically in the rain.
My Badlands, with 1188 miles on it, has a ten inch crack in the windshield; right at the top, thru the camera.
I climbed up on a ladder to wash it, can't see or feel anything but the crack.
Take it back to dealer for the 12 month/12,000 mile Ford "windshield stress crack warranty".
Short, fat, dealer minion comes out with a ladder, and climbs around on my hood for 10 minutes and finally goes AHA!!! I found a rock chip.
That butthaid must have a special app on his phone.
I like my truck, but I can't STAND Ford's attitude, especially since the vehicle I ordered from the Build Your Bronco website showed up, 14 months later, with half the options and a higher sticker price.
I am seriously considering providing some documentation to the Texas Attorney General's Office...they have a history of going after bait-and-switch operations such as this.

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ford is one of the hardest to get warrantee work covered. I never buy their extended warranty. I use geico mechanical breakdown coverage. Never a problem. Ford will deny everything given the slightest chance. They dont care about repeat customers.
You are correct.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Part of why I cancelled mine. I expect they will deny most things. It might be worth it for electronics but I've soaked some of those too so they might deny for water damage.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Part of why I cancelled mine. I expect they will deny most things. It might be worth it for electronics but I've soaked some of those too so they might deny for water damage.
Not that it should matter, but a different dealership may accept it where others won't. Should be consistent experience everywhere, I know, but I would bet some of those warranty claims would be "approved" elsewhere.

I'd rather have the extended warranty for my own peace of mind, especially with this vehicle essentially being a computer on wheels.

Bronco1010

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Warranty at a Ford dealer is also very much dependent on the Dealer. Some dealers are scared to warranty anything. I would put this one on the dealer just as much as ford for not stepping up.

dj101nyc

Wildtrak
First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend w/4.27 & rear dif
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well I have a Bronco with the 2.3 instead of the 2.7 but I can tell you my Bronco has dealt with 1 full Canadian winter (and another so far) without issues.
Seems like time and time again the 2.3 is starting to prove itself as the more reliable of the 2. Tons of issues with the 2.7 around my way from speaking to other bronco owners while maybe hearing 1 complaint so far about the 2.3